• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

★Guide to Soft Resetting for a Shiny Latias/Latios!☆

Did you find this tutorial helpful?

• Yes. I even got the Shiny Latias/Latios!

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Yes. I still haven't gotten my shiny though.

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

Nin_3536

Youngster Joey
Credits
latias.gif
Shiny Latias/Latios Tutorial
latios.gif

Salutations Pokémon people. I myself have gotten right into the new Pokémon Ω Ruby and α Sapphire games that I received for Christmas. Many of you, including myself want to get your hands on that succulent and beautiful shiny Latias or Latios. However, this can become rather difficult and extremely tedious process. Due to the insane amount of dialogue and cut scenes, you may become frustrated over time. Well I am here to explain to you how to speed up this effort-some process.

Quick Warning: This tutorial contains a few Story Line spoilers; you have been warned.

Step 1. Open up the Options on your PokéNav.
Step 2. Switch the following Options:
  • Turn your text speed to Fast.
  • Turn Battle Effects off.
  • Turn Button Mode to L=A.
Step 3. Confirm your changes and Save your game.
Step 4. Set up your party to meet the following conditions:

• One Pokémon Party space is open.
  • You have a Pokémon with surf on your team.
  • No Pokémon are about to Level Up.
  • Have a Pokémon that can deal damage the opposing team easily as the first Pokémon in your Party. Tip: Set this Pokémon's most powerful move as its First move. Check the Spoiler below to learn how!
Step 1. Open up your Pokémon Party.
Step 2. Select the Pokémon whose moves you wish to change.
Step 3. Select Summary.
Step 4. Press A to Check the Moves.
Step 5. You can now re order the Pokémon's moves by dragging and dropping them around.
Step 6. Press B to finish ordering the Pokémon's moves.

Gardevoir: Level 32+
First move: Psychic
For Game: Omega Ruby

Step 5. Make your way to Mauvile City if you are already not there. From Mauville, head east onto Route 118. Surf across the water and walk towards the Grass. You should encounter
Steven. From there, Latias/Latios will fly you to Southern Island.
Step 6. Progress through the dialogue and cut scenes after Latias/Latios drops you and Steven off. DO NOT enter through the forest entrance yet.
Step 7.
This step is probably most important. Save your game!
Step 8.
Now enter the forest entrance, immediately you should see Latias/Latios sitting on the other end of the area. Walk towards it. Steven should appear and more cutscenes should begin.
Step 9. Team Magma/Aqua should arrive on the scene behind you and a battle will therefore commence. With your Gardevoir, or Pokémon of choice, leading your team, and it's first move being the best move to attack the opposing team. You can mindlessly press the L button throughout the battle and let your Pokémon do the rest.
Step 10. After you defeat the thugs, Latias/Latios will join your team and Steven will give you the Mega Ring. Finally, after a few more cut scenes you will fly back to Route 118.
Step 11. When Steven finally decides to leave, you can check your Latias/Latios' Summary.
Step 12. If it is Shiny, congratulations! If not, then you can perform a Soft reset by holding down the L and R buttons simultaneously while pressing the Start button. This will in turn restart the game where you last saved. In your case, before you entered the grove. So Latias/Latios will have their Shiny ID reset.

Tip: If you end up Soft Resetting, remember that you can mindlessly press the L button to skip the dialouge and throughout the cut scenes. This drastically speeds up the process and if you accidently name your Latias/Latios "!!!!!!!!!!!!", you can always rename it in Slateport! You can now Shiny Hunt with one hand and Browse the Perfect Pokémon Forums in the other!

I understand this process seems insane and like a huge waste of time. You are probably thinking: "I can just trade for one that is Shiny!" That may be so, but if you want your very own Shiny Latias/Latios then this is probably the best way to get one. Keep in mind that this process takes time, and that patience is a virtue. I have reset 80 times as of now with no luck.

Good luck in the hunt for the shinys and until next time, this has been Nin, Mudkips rule!

P.S. If this helped you out, feel free to leave a like. ;)

Last edited:

Nin_3536

Youngster Joey
Credits
Hmm... seems as if I accidently hit the enter button. Major Facepalm!

Ruffle

Youngster Joey
Credits
great guide, its helped me a lot, i am at 400 SR's now :)

however i saved inside the grove where you can see latias as i have seen a youtube video and several posts saying they got a shiny when they saved inside where they could already see the sprite.

I was just wondering if you are sure you have to save before you enter the area where latias is or if the stats are decided once you enter the grove. its made me a little paranoid as i have seen posts and a video that show otherwise.

thanks again.

Serythe

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Nice guide and very informative. Will keep in mind for next time I restart AS.

Arceusrsz

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
nice guide! just some advice u can save inside the grove. everything is decided once u recieve it in your party. what ive been doing is when it askes you to name it ive been checking the sprite there. not sure if it will work but i was thinking it probably would. so you can check if its shiny or not there instead of waiting the the mega evo cutscene. not 100% sure if that workks tho. just my thought

Dakattack

Youngster Joey
Credits
Thanks for the guide. To be clear though you just have to save before the cutscene happens, so you ARE allowed to enter the grove as long as you stay at least one step away from the cutscene trigger. I've tested this and I get a Latias with a different nature each time.

EDIT: Also, as a tip for Alpha Sapphire users, try to have a special sweeper rather than a physical sweeper for the battle as you'll trigger the rough skin ability when you attack sharpedo otherwise.

Sonicthepokemon

Youngster Joey
Credits
great guide, its helped me a lot, i am at 400 SR's now :)

however i saved inside the grove where you can see latias as i have seen a youtube video and several posts saying they got a shiny when they saved inside where they could already see the sprite.

I was just wondering if you are sure you have to save before you enter the area where latias is or if the stats are decided once you enter the grove. its made me a little paranoid as i have seen posts and a video that show otherwise.

thanks again.
you may of messed it up(may of,im not sure myself cause i did the same thing so i thought reloading the whole area might work) but there is a solution, talk to steven to go back to route 118 then battle a pokemon(you don't have to its just in case) then talk to steven and go back to the place and save BEFORE you enter the clearing. you should be able to find it shiny using soft reseting

testing