• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

All New Megas Base Stats Revealed! Competitive Discussion and Info!

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
So today, some hackers at projectpokemon (or at least, I believe so) have managed to look inside the ORAS demo files and have leaked some of the Mega stats! In this thread, I will look at their stats, and provide my own competitive opinion on them, but feel free to provide yours down in the comments section :) Anyway, let's jump right in!

To start off with, "Mega" Diancie (an alternate form) has now been revealed, gaining an 80 base stat increase unlike the 100 that all other megas to this data have gotten. It also gains a new signature move, that of Hyperspace Fury, a Special Dark type move that always hits for 100 Base Power with 5PP. This alternate form also keeps Magician as its signature ability. Now, lets look at its stats!
  • Original: 80/110/60/150/130/70
  • New: 80/160/60/170/130/80
As you can see, it gets a very nice boost to it's physical attack stat, with other smaller boosts going to Special Attack and Speed. Unfortunately, it does not get a very nice physical movepool to make use of, with the most notable moves being Brick Break, Phantom Force, Return and Power Up Punch. But, however, all new tutor and level up moves have been revealed. It has shown that Hoopa does get a lot of usable Physical moves now, including: Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Gunk Shot, Drain Punch, Knock Off, Zen Headbutt, and even more.

For those of you wanting links, here they are. Thanks to @notsoclutch for getting me these:

Now, on to the new stats!
  • Swampert-M - Stats: 100/150/110/95/110/70 - Type: Water/Ground - Swift Swim
  • Sceptile-M - Stats: 70/110/75/145/85/145 - Type: Grass/Dragon - Lightningrod
  • Sableye-M - Stats: 50/85/125/85/115/20 - Type: Dark/Ghost - Magic Bounce
  • Altaria-M - Stats: 75/110/110/110/105/80 - Type: Dragon/Fairy - Pixilate
  • Gallade-M - Stats: 68/165/95/65/115/110 - Type: Psychic/Fighting - Inner Focus
  • Audino-M - Stats: 103/60/126/80/126/50 - Type: Normal/Fairy - Healer
  • Sharpedo-M - Stats: 70/140/70/110/65/105 - Type: Water/Dark - Strong Jaw
  • Slowbro-M - Stats: 95/75/180/130/80/30 - Type: Water/Psychic - Shell Armour
  • Steelix-M - Stats: 75/125/230/55/95/30 - Type: Steel/Ground - Sand Force
  • Pidgeot-M - Stats: 83/80/80/135/80/121 - Type: Normal/Flying - No Guard
  • Glalie-M - Stats: 80/120/80/120/80/100 - Type: Ice - Refrigerate
  • Diancie-M - Stats: 50/160/110/160/110/110 - Type: Rock/Fairy - Magic Bounce
  • Metagross-M - Stats: 80/145/150/105/110/110 - Type: Steel/Psychic - Tough Claws
  • Kyogre-P - Stats: 100/150/90/180/160/90 - Type: Water - Primordial Sea
  • Groudon-P - Stats: 100/180/160/150/90/90 - Type: Ground/Fire - Desolate Land
  • Rayquaza-M - Stats: 105/180/100/180/100/115 - Type: Dragon/Flying - Delta Stream
  • Hoopa-”M” - Stats: 80/160/60/170/130/80 - Type: Psychic/Dark - Magician
  • Camerupt-M - Stats: 70/120/100/145/105/20 - Type: Fire/Ground - Sheer Force
  • Lopunny-M - Stats: 65/136/94/54/96/135 - Type: Normal/Fighting - Scrappy
  • Salamence-M - Stats: 95/145/130/120/90/120 - Type: Dragon/Flying - Aerilate
  • Beedrill-M - Stats: 65/150/40/15/80/145 - Type: Bug/Poison - Adaptability
As you can see, most of the Pokemon retain their old typing, with a few exception in Primal-Groudon, Mega Sceptile, Mega Audino and "Mega" Hoopa. But enough of that, on to the competitive analysis!

Starting with Mega Swampert, we can see that it gets a big boost to it's attack (+40), the same defence increase (+20 each) and then smaller boosts to Special Attack and Speed. I could definitely see this as a Pokemon to place around BL, but it's crippling speed does damage it quite a bit, so UU is likely.

Next up, the other Hoenn starter, is Mega Sceptile. I am definitely a fan of the stat boosts that it has gotten, giving it a 25 boost to it's attack, and very healthy boosts to its Special Attack and Speed, to place them at 145. This outspeeds almost everything in the OU tier besides Scarf, and I can definitely see Mega Sceptile being a strong OU Pokemon. It can run a variety of sets, ranging from full Attack or Special Attack, Mixed or maybe a Swords Dance set.

Mega Sableye was quite interesting when it was revealed to get Magic Bounce, as it strays away from the annoying Prankster-mon that we know and has become more of a wall. This is evident with it's 125/115 Defences, but it is hindered in its way of HP. Mega Sableye's Speed also saw a decrease, dropping to just base 20. To put this in context, it is slower than Chansey, or even other walls like Quagsire. However, Magic Bounce gives it a nice niche in, what I believe to be, UU, as Mega Sableye's tier.

Where to start with Mega Altaria? Well let me just say this: Pixilate. This in conjunction with 110/110 attacks and a nice movepool makes it a very well rounded Pokemon, as its defences are also respectable at 75/110/105. What is unfortunate about Mega Altaria, however, is it's lack of decent speed, still sticking with Base 80. This is quite bad for a Sweeper, but as a Tank, this seems reasonable. Despite this flaw, I believe Mega Altaria will be a good OU Pokemon.

When we heard that Mega Gallade got Inner Focus, it's fair to say that a lot of us were heartbroken. It's counterpart, Gardevoir, had got an amazing ability in the form of Pixilate, and Mega Gallade was stuck with an ability that prevents flinching. Whilst useful in Doubles and VGC due to the viability of Fake Out, this ability is basically useless in Singles. However, 165 attack is still a very high number, reaching 429 with a Jolly Nature, not Adamant. Gallade's Speed has also got a nice buff, going up to 115 now. This ties with, most notably, Mega Houndoom, Mega Absol, Cinccino, Starmie and Raikou. On the Defences side, Mega Gallade is respectable, with 68/95/115 defences across the board. Overall, despite the flaw in the form of Inner Focus, I believe that Mega Gallade will be a top BL pokemon, possibly low OU.

Mega Audino. Nope, still can't get over it? I mean seriously, this thing got a Mega and Flygon hasn't been confirmed yet?! What is Gamefreak on... However, I'm here to examine the competitive viability, and that's what I'll do. Back in Gen 5 and XY, Audino was mainly used as a cleric, with decent defences to boot. However, with the introduction of its mega, Audino now nicely sits at 103/126/126 - extremely bulky, I think we can agree. Also, Mega Audino only has 2 weaknesses, in Steel and Poison. Whilst this definitely isn't a top tier Pokemon, I feel that Mega Audino does have use down in RU, and possibly VGC. People may argue that it won't pull off well in VGC, but I have one thing to say to them - Pachirisu.

Next up, we have the mega that failed to get the lasers it deserved, Mega Sharpedo. Before they announced the ability, we all thought it would get Speed Boost, there's no denying it. Whilst it isn't as bad an ability than what Mega Gallade got, Strong Jaw only powers up a select few of Sharpedo's moves, but notably, Crunch. With a base 140 attack, Mega Sharpedo seems quite nice to use, if it wasn't for his relatively sub-par Speed stat. In Generation 6, 105 speed was just all right for sweepers. This hits 339 at max, and whilst that is quite good, there are many Pokemon now that outspeed it (according to serebii, exactly 72 Pokemon outspeed and 11 tie). As for its defences, they are sub-par at best, and it really won't be taking many hits. Despite the amount of bashing I am giving it, I do feel that Mega Sharpedo will be a solid UU pokemon, and could be devastating when set up.

I still laugh my ass off every time I see this guy - yep, it's Mega Slowbro. I mean seriously, so many memes have been made about this guy, but I digress. There's no denying it: this thing's good. 95/180/80 defences, with access to Calm Mind and an 130 Special Attack stat, plus Shell Armour to help it set up easier?! Yes, this thing is amazing. when set up, maybe even to just +2, this thing can tank hits for days, and dish out damage extremely quickly. The only real counters against this thing are anything that can deal powerful special hits before it has a chance to set up, and with access to Psyshock/Psychic, Scald/Surf, Ice Beam, Slack Off, this thing will definitely be a high tier OU pokemon. The only issue I foresee with it is a slow speed stat, and lack of good tutor moves, but there's no denying this thing's strength.

Mega Steelix is next, and since the stats have been revealed, I am still relatively unimpressed. Gamefreak really hasn't done much to make this better than Mega Aggron, and with the Filter ability, what reason do you have to run Mega Steelix? Sure, it has a slightly better Special Defence stat, but since it gets the Ground type, it maintains its Water weakness. It has the same defence stat, a lower attack stat, a lower speed stat and the same HP stat - what is this guy's niche? Well, to be honest, it doesn't really have one. Even the tutors weren't very kind to it, giving it primarily Special Attacks to work off what, 55 base? I am thoroughly disappointed with it, and I would say that it will be RU at best.

See below for rest

Last edited:

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
I'm so ready for this game! Chesnaught is going to be vital if things like mega sharpedo, mega swampert, or mega sableye become popular. I'm loving that drain punch too.

Edit: What is Hoopa's new typing? That's one thing I didn't really pay any attention to. Also, I'm thinking that a lot of these megas will end up in BL. There are just too many of them and most of them are just so good.

Edit 2: Synthesis just gave super size gourgeist a MASSIVE boost in viability.

Last edited:

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I'm so ready for this game! Chesnaught is going to be vital if things like mega sharpedo, mega swampert, or mega sableye become popular. I'm loving that drain punch too.

Edit: What is Hoopa's new typing? That's one thing I didn't really pay any attention to. Also, I'm thinking that a lot of these megas will end up in BL. There are just too many of them and most of them are just so good.

"Mega" Hoopa would be Dark/Psychic :) It's annoying that they got rid of it's nice original typing (albeit with 2 4x weaknesses) but let's see how this new one plays out.

Lotad Is Beast

Youngster Joey
Credits
i honestly think gourgeist was very viable before as it has pain split: not reliable but alot more damaging to opponents, synthesis while it boosts its viability a tiny bit i still think it will be nu< on smogon tiers when ORAS comes out

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
i honestly think gourgeist was very viable before as it has pain split: not reliable but alot more damaging to opponents, synthesis while it boosts its viability a tiny bit i still think it will be nu< on smogon tiers when ORAS comes out
Gourgeist had too high of an HP stat (at least in its super size form) to effectively use pain split. Synthesis is much more reliable and it gives the super size form a much needed boost over the smaller forms allowing it to finally get appropriate usage in RU and UU

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Mega Glailie OHKOs chansey with explosion=gg

I wonder how mega sableye will turn out, I think he is honestly gonna stay RU tbh. He seems to have a lack of real power, and no priority makes it hard to perform utiity as well. It may work in UU, but I think it will stay RU.

Mega Hoopa+fling=gg
plz ban nintendo

Lotad Is Beast

Youngster Joey
Credits
. Synthesis is much more reliable and it gives the super size form a much needed boost over the smaller forms allowing it to finally get appropriate usage in RU and UU
forgot about the whole hp thing ty for reminding, although i still feel like there are better walls in uu so i think it will get ru at best

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
So wait, did I hear correctly about some megas getting an HP change???

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Pidgeot seems quite good: 135 base Special Attack, an ability that gives you 100% accurate Hurricanes, 121 Base Speed. BIRD JESUS HURRICANE SPAM. This thing clearly isn't built for Physical prowess, with a terrible Attack stat with all right moves. However, it really isn't that simple. Whilst No Guard buffs up Hurricane, Heat Wave and Air Slash, there isn't much else to ride home about. 83/80/80 defences are passable but not the best too. It can take a few hits, but not enough to truly be good. Overall, I would place Mega Pidgeot in BL2, as it can dish out damage, but not enough to outspeed and KO most things.

I have been watching many conversations unfold in the past few days (myself in the conversations as well) of what base Attack stat a STAB Refrigerate Explosion will be coming off. The answer: 120. All hail the great suicide lead Mega Glalie, or Beardman as I call him. So, 120 base Attack is passable, but combined with Refrigerate and access to Normal-type moves like Return, Headbutt and Explosion makes Mega Glalie very good. These Explosions in particular are easily able to KO Chanseys still holding their Eviolite, and with the amount of ice weaknesses in OU, i.e. Garchomp and Gliscor just to name a few, makes Glalie a top tier contender. However, like Mega Pidgeot, 80/80/80 defences are just about passable, and 100 base Speed is middling at best. Most base 100s will carry Choice Scarf to mitigate this, but Mega Glalie doesn't have such a luxury, stuck with the... Glalite? I don't even know. Overall, I would say Mega Glalie will be a solid UU Pokemon, but this could fluctuate.

Diancie was ok, there isn't much to say really. Calm Mind sets can wreck in UU, but it seemed to be lacking something. Well, as Gamefreak just seem to be throwing Megas at every random thing they can find, Diancie seemed to be caught in the crossfire - 160 attacks, lower, but still usable 110 defences and 110 speed? Wow. Just enough speed to outspeed the Lati twins, attacks high enough to get a lot of KOs and Defences that are still extremely good for a sweeper? Hot damn I love this guy. The move tutors were quite nice to it as well, giving it Earth Power as a good coverage move, and Heal Bell (which will probably be mainly used on regular Diancie on a support set). With a nice move arsenal including Moonblast, Diamond Storm, Stone Edge, Psychic and more, I see no reason why this shouldn't be top tier OU, if not getting a suspect test.

Next is what I believe to be the first revealed mega (correct me if I'm wrong) Metagross, and they really didn't cop out on the stats they upped. 80/150/110 defences to be insane, check. Killer attacks in the form of 145/105, check. 110 speed to tie with the Lati twins, check. To be honest, Mega Metagross is brilliant. It has an amazing movepool to back up its 145 Attack, in Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch, Hammer Arm, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Iron Head, Zen Headbutt and more, not to mention solid defences to really support it. At the start of this generation with the buff/nerf of Steel types, Metagross was hit quite hard - thanks to this Mega, it can really shine again. In my opinion, this will be solid OU, no questions.

I'm going to cover the Primals at the end, so if you wish to read those, they will be at the end.

So, it's been in Ubers since it's birth. It has solid stats, and even access to V-Create. So what do Gamefreak do? Give Rayquaza a mega. Again, all its stats barring HP have gotten a boost, but most notably it's Speed and Attacks. 180/180/115 is terrifying, even by Ubers standards, but not just that, as it has an amazing movepool to boot too. I won't list them, as it will definitely take too long, but I'll just say this: Outrage and V-Create are going to wreck souls. Rayquaza's defences have seen a mild buff, going up to 105/100/100, and whilst this is quite low for Ubers, Rayquaza is almost guaranteed to get a kill anyway. Not just a KO, but a kill. Is that it though? Gamefreak decided that it wasn't, and gave it an amazing ability and move. The ability is able to stop any weather automatically as Mega Rayquaza enters the field, and the move Dragon Ascent has the 'greatest power of any flying-type move.' This thing is Ubers, 0 questions asked.

Do I have to talk about this one? Fine... Next is Mega Camerupt, which I feel is wasted potential. 120/145 attacks are quite nice, and it does get moves like Eruption to benefit from this. However, 20 base speed is not good in any way, and it will rely on Trick Room to get close to sweeping. On the defensive side, it isn't better at all: 75/100/105 is not good, especially if you factor in Mega Camerupt's poor typing: Fire/Ground. Weak to Water, weak to Ground, some of the most common types in the game and Mega Camerupt can hardly lift a finger up against them. Because of this, I fear that it could dip to NU, but possibly RU. Don't get me wrong, I love lower tier megas, as it gives the metagame a lot more diversity, but I feel that it could have been a lot better. Sheer Force does give you a lot of power, but Trick Room is needed, and it has been slipping in viability this generation, but who knows? Maybe ORAS may be helpful to it...

As soon as Mega Lopunny was revealed, people speculated on how it could be the 'perfect Aegislash counter,' but it really isn't. 136 attack is very nice, in conjunction with High Jump Kick from the tutors (yep, they were nice on this occasion) and Scrappy to hit Ghost types (giving it the ability to super effect Aegislash with a STAB move) but with the majority carrying Sacred Sword, it's not a counter. It's defences are all right at 65/94/96, but it won't take many hits with such a low HP. On the plus side however, that speed is incredible. 135 base outspeeds the likes of Aerodactyl, which it can hit back hard against. Overall, I foresee Mega Lopunny being BL2, and could tip either to UU or RU, depending on what sets come out in the coming months.

You know what's cool? Dragons. You know what else I like? Blades. Why not combine the two Gamefreak? Well that's exactly what we got: Mega Salamence. Salamence started slipping in Generation 6, but it's new mega is really beneficial to it, giving it 145/120 attacks, in conjunction with a nice 120 speed (I swear all the new megas are here to either outperform the Lati twins, or have terrible speed altogether). This is perfect for a sweeper, as it also gets 95/130/90 defences to benefit it's longevity. But what else could be good about this? The same thing that made Mega Pinsir what it is: Aerilate. STAB Hyper Voice, STAB Return, STAB Headbutt, the list goes on really. This is easily going to result in massive damage, so with all things considered, this is solid top tier OU. I even predict a suspect test could be coming it's way.

The last mega to be revealed so far is finally here - Mega Beedrill. When we first saw it, most of us were probably laughing at the fact that it got a mega in the first place, but Adaptability is nothing to scoff at, neither is base 150 attack. Gamefreak wasn't above practically neutering its Special Attack just to make this thing godly, in conjunction with 145 speed, tying with Mega Sceptile. This allows for 150 attack Adaptability X-Scissors, Bug Bite, Poison Jab... That's strong. Whilst 65/40/80 defences are horrible, there isn't much that outspeeds 145 speed to KO, barring Talonflame. In my honest opinion, I could see this thing being BL, just due to the extremes Gamefreak went to just to give an old forgotten 'mon a chance to redeem itself.

Thanks for reading! I've covered all the megas revealed so far, and I'll do the Primals later. As I said above, drop a comment below, on your thoughts, and I'll see you guys later :)

Last edited:

TyruntLover44

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Ah, man. I was hoping Mega Beedrill would get a Defense boost, but oh well.
I just glad it exist :) That Attack and Speed Stat are crazy tho...

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
I'll start with a couple of the tough ones to figure out.

Pidgeot @ pidgeotite
Ability: Doesn't matter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost
It's a solid bulky support set with a powerful hurricane stab. Heat wave for coverage, defog for hazards, and roost to maintain bulk. It is one of the fastest defoggers in Pokemon (mega mence being faster) and has respectable bulk with HP investment.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drill Run
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
This is beedrill's hit and run set. The EVs in speed are to outspeed mega man and obtain a tad bit of bulk to take things like aqua jet from azu. It's a great scout with plenty of speed and power to devastate with u-turn and clean with poison jab and coverage moves. Knock off is nice for crippling an opponent if something like skarm or lando thinks it wants to switch into a u-turn. Drill run hits heatran and some other steel types hard.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drill Run
- x-scissor
- Poison Jab
- Fell Stinger/swords dance
Same EVs, different role. This may seem gimmicky at first with fell stinger, but it's about the only way that beedrill can setup with it's miniscule bulk and the coverage options are limited. Generally though, this beedrill will be cleaning and may not even need a fell stinger boost, but if a weak pokemon prevents itself...feel free to take the free +2 a stomp all over the opponent. If you really want to try to setup with swords dance, you'll have to rely on your opponent switching out, but it is a more than viable alternative as neither move is really going to get much use.

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Ancient Power/explosion
I didn't actually realize how immensely powerful this thing was until I started to run some calcs. This tank set covers a lot of Pokemon and has rocks to boot. The EVs and IVs are for a trick room sweeper set, but with a little tweaking it can be a solid tank as well. Fire blast is an absolute nuke and earth power isn't half bad either. Ancient power is for hitting zard Y and tflame along with a handful of other pokemon and gets a sheer force boost. Explosion is just a fun little physical move to use that 120 base attack for something, but is ultimately unecessary for anything but a random last ditch effort.

Just for comparison sake
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Sylveon: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Sylveon: 165-195 (41.8 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just think that one over for a bit...

More to come.

Last edited:

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
@Jiggly Nice idea - can I get editing permissions please? I'm so hyped about this right now...

I am, however, probably going to make some full analysis of different Megas in the Tournament chat. PM me if you are interested in this, and I'll set up a googledocs when I've got some sets.

Last edited:

PunSniperSylveon

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits

Gold 2.0

The Immortal Dragon Underdog with a Heart of Steel
Staff member
Mod
Donor
Credits

Yo I'm going nowhere near a Mega Salamence and if you use one, I hate you. Those stats are disgusting. Ban it now before we all get #rekt

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
Yo I'm going nowhere near a Mega Salamence and if you use one, I hate you. Those stats are disgusting. Ban it now before we all get #rekt
Nah, at the beginning of gen 6 I didn't touch kanga and wouldn't even consider decoys n. I won't trouble you with any kind of Salamence unless it is a wall set. XD.

testing