• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active Banners for Tier Leaders!

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
With the Tiering Council currently working on other projects like viability rankings and the like, people around the site, both new players and veterans looking to expand their knowledge into other tiers still ask around for advice in certain tiers. What most of you don't know is that we actually have leaders for every tier!
These werwere not known by a lot of people, so I guess a list would help :p. However, in my opinion, it would be useful if people could find the tier leaders through their posts, and a more widespread understanding of who the tier leaders are would mean that it is easier for everyone to get help.

@doulie , and everyone else, what are your thoughts on this? We also have vice leaders for a few tiers, but I'm not sure if that's really necessary.

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
Ah, this would actually be really cool.

It'd be an easy way for people to know to ask us questions without having to stumble across a random forum post :)

Miles8088

Top Kek Champion
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
This is a great idea! Do you think I should include just a reminder of who all the leaders are in the next newsletter as well?

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
I don't see how this would make things any easier. My guess is that people currently ask in the sb. If they can't find a forum post with this information I HIGHLY doubt they'll find it in the list of banners all of us already have under our names.

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
I don't see how this would make things any easier. My guess is that people currently ask in the sb. If they can't find a forum post with this information I HIGHLY doubt they'll find it in the list of banners all of us already have under our names.
I've honestly never seen anyone ask for a tier leader because they don't even know that's a thing.

Plus, in my experience in using the search bar for finding posts, it generally turns up a lot of really random posts (and half the time it's not even what I was looking for). Even searching titles won't do it unless they already know the name of the thread.

I feel that if it's a different color then it would be easy to recognize, plus if we feel it's too crowded then I suppose we could just ask to have a banner removed? TBH I'd rather let people know that I'm the doubles leader so they can ask questions rather than have any of the new ones for achievements if only because I could help with that one banner showing.

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
I've honestly never seen anyone ask for a tier leader because they don't even know that's a thing.

Plus, in my experience in using the search bar for finding posts, it generally turns up a lot of really random posts (and half the time it's not even what I was looking for). Even searching titles won't do it unless they already know the name of the thread.

I feel that if it's a different color then it would be easy to recognize, plus if we feel it's too crowded then I suppose we could just ask to have a banner removed? TBH I'd rather let people know that I'm the doubles leader so they can ask questions rather than have any of the new ones for achievements if only because I could help with that one banner showing.
I just don't think anyone would really get use of it. I think if anything it'd be nice to have a static page accessible from the top menu bar with this information. I don't think anyone will find it in the forums.

Ary

Scare Queen
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Credits
I honestly see little benefit to this people that don't ask for help in the sb which 90% of the people do tend to make threads asking for assistance...if you really wanted people to know and see if it makes a difference how about adding it to your siggy.

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
I just really don't see any harm in trying it and I'd like some credibility that looks more official than something I just slapped into the signature box.

Ary

Scare Queen
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Credits
Make it look nice in your siggy then....having it in your signature has the same affect as banner area...it's on all past present and future posts and passes on the same message the only difference is location

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
I just really don't see any harm in trying it and I'd like some credibility that looks more official than something I just slapped into the signature box.
Well, considering Matt recently posted a thread suggesting we have *less* banners, these ideas are conflicting. If a user is trying to find someone to help them with a tier, they aren't going to search through the forums and read the user banners to look for the specific tier they need because there are way too many banners and way too many posts to look through. If there was a tab at the top of the page that said "battles" or something, with "tier officials" as it's own page with this list, I feel like that would be significantly more helpful.

Ary

Scare Queen
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Credits
Well, considering Matt recently posted a thread suggesting we have *less* banners, these ideas are conflicting. If a user is trying to find someone to help them with a tier, they aren't going to search through the forums and read the user banners to look for the specific tier they need because there are way too many banners and way too many posts to look through. If there was a tab at the top of the page that said "battles" or something, with "tier officials" as it's own page with this list, I feel like that would be significantly more helpful.
I was thinking the exact same thing it is very conflicting ideas if it was easier to find who is what per tier I think it would More effective a new user isn't searching through threads nearly as much as we do

Miles8088

Top Kek Champion
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
Tbh I disagree. I read all banners 90% of the time especially when its someone I've never talked to before. I did this even more when I was a new member. Banners tend to be more official than siggy so just seeing an official banner saying that tier leaders are a thing will cause members who are interested in that kind of thing to do further research or ask who or what they are in the sb. I usually dont even read sigs bc they are usually team propaganda, fc's I dont need, or anime xD Tbh what's the problem with having a banner with what tier leader you are or what new mod job you have (tournament coordinator, ig, news, yt, twitter) when the holders of these title work very hard in these roles. We have banners for 50 follow for follows. there's nothing wrong with that bc they look good but I personally dont see a problem when they serve a purpose and aren't causing anyone else to sacrifice anything

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
Tbh I disagree. I read all banners 90% of the time especially when its someone I've never talked to before. I did this even more when I was a new member. Banners tend to be more official than siggy so just seeing an official banner saying that tier leaders are a thing will cause members who are interested in that kind of thing to do further research or ask who or what they are in the sb. I usually dont even read sigs bc they are usually team propaganda, fc's I dont need, or anime xD Tbh what's the problem with having a banner with what tier leader you are or what new mod job you have (tournament coordinator, ig, news, yt, twitter) when the holders of these title work very hard in these roles. We have banners for 50 follow for follows. there's nothing wrong with that bc they look good but I personally dont see a problem when they serve a purpose and aren't causing anyone else to sacrifice anything
I agree that a banner is far more noticeable than a signature but I disagree that it is a necessity to the site. Is the idea here to *help* more people find these tier owners or to *reward* the people helping to manage the tiers and acknowledge the work they do?

In terms of helpfulness for the members of the site, I feel like it'd be much more helpful to have the static page with the list of who is in charge of what. Even if you do read the banners, do you really remember the usernames who they are attached to? Considering we can't even get users to remember the rules we tell them, I doubt they're going to remember whose username was associated with which tier banner. On top of that, we have a lot of great users on the site who like to help out and give advice - as well as point others in the right direction when they can't help answer a question. I don't feel like we really *need* to have one person singled out for each tier, although I do agree it'd be nice to acknowledge everyone's contribution in some way.

As for recognizing the contribution, I don't think it should be via banner. There is already talk floating around about having too many banners in the first place, and I don't think there's enough evidence that this would be helpful to commit to doing it. I still think it'd be more helpful to have it in a link somewhere where users can access it instead of searching for names and banners. Overall, some users would probably remember and associate the banners with names, but I feel like the vast majority wouldn't. A lot of things done on this site run on the goodness of your heart and because you want to make the site a better place. Looking at the list, I can see that most of these users are staff (mostly newly promoted as well) and I think that alone is recognition that the work you are all doing is being noticed.

But anyway, that's all I have to say about it.

Reactions: Ary

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
I don't disagree with the extra static page...I just don't see why we can't do both.
The way I see it is that if a user is specifically seeking out help in a tier then they can look at the page where we list the leader and the vices. But if they just happen to be looking through the forum and they see a tier they were thinking about getting into, then they can message that user with questions that they have. Not everyone is actively seeking out help and much like a mod banner, it's a way for them to have a push in the right direction and ask them any questions they may have.

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
I don't disagree with the extra static page...I just don't see why we can't do both.
The way I see it is that if a user is specifically seeking out help in a tier then they can look at the page where we list the leader and the vices. But if they just happen to be looking through the forum and they see a tier they were thinking about getting into, then they can message that user with questions that they have. Not everyone is actively seeking out help and much like a mod banner, it's a way for them to have a push in the right direction and ask them any questions they may have.
I guess so. My vote is still no, but it'd be nice to see users who wouldn't be getting the rewards from this voice their opinions - so I'm just gonna sit this one out for now. #toomanybanners #toomanymatts

Ary

Scare Queen
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Credits
My vote is clearly for no as well...
>.> only opinions that are for yes seem to come from those who would get the banner thus far >.>

Blaguard

Apex Predator
Team Elite
Journalist
Credits
Seems to me like it won't be cluttering the banners since there will only be a total of 10 banners given out to 8 different people.
Besides, if we have cluttered banners we could just move the new achievements (Friendzilla, Won't be Beat, etc.) to the badge section since they'll take up less space.

And as for the recognition aspect...if going in the Shoutbox and telling people to follow you until you get to 50 gets you a banner, why does putting in the work of ranking every Pokemon in a tier's viability, working in the tiering council, running suspects, helping users, etc, not get you any recognition?

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
Seems to me like it won't be cluttering the banners since there will only be a total of 10 banners given out to 8 different people.
Besides, if we have cluttered banners we could just move the new achievements (Friendzilla, Won't be Beat, etc.) to the badge section since they'll take up less space.

And as for the recognition aspect...if going in the Shoutbox and telling people to follow you until you get to 50 gets you a banner, why does putting in the work of ranking every Pokemon in a tier's viability, working in the tiering council, running suspects, helping users, etc, not get you any recognition?
There's a huge difference here. People have been asking for followers because they earn something for it. If you only joined the tier council to get recognition then I hope you don't have your hopes set too high. There are dozens of people doing what they can to help the site in their own ways and none of them ask for recognition. These are the people we have usually asked to be staff, because they aren't here to shine in a light, they're here to help the site grow and prosper. I'm not saying you don't deserve recognition, all I've said is that I don't think banners are the best way to do it.

Blaguard

Apex Predator
Team Elite
Journalist
Credits
There's a huge difference here. People have been asking for followers because they earn something for it. If you only joined the tier council to get recognition then I hope you don't have your hopes set too high. There are dozens of people doing what they can to help the site in their own ways and none of them ask for recognition. These are the people we have usually asked to be staff, because they aren't here to shine in a light, they're here to help the site grow and prosper. I'm not saying you don't deserve recognition, all I've said is that I don't think banners are the best way to do it.
None of us joined the council or became tier leaders just to look special...we just feel being a tier leader is a lot of work, and I don't think anyone would disagree that some recognition would be misplaced. Where I was coming from with the Friendzilla comment is that if we're looking the un-clutter the banners, there are far less useful banners that we could look at moving (having a badge would be much less obtrusive and solve the "too many banners" problem).

But the core of the argument is
  1. It points users in the right direction for advice (like the current Mod/Staff banners)
  2. It acknowledges those who work to improve the community (again, just like the Mod banners)
  3. It wouldn't hurt anyone (seriously what are the negative effects of having 8 people with an extra banner or two?)

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
None of us joined the council or became tier leaders just to look special...we just feel being a tier leader is a lot of work, and I don't think anyone would disagree that some recognition would be misplaced. Where I was coming from with the Friendzilla comment is that if we're looking the un-clutter the banners, there are far less useful banners that we could look at moving (having a badge would be much less obtrusive and solve the "too many banners" problem).

But the core of the argument is
  1. It points users in the right direction for advice (like the current Mod/Staff banners)
  2. It acknowledges those who work to improve the community (again, just like the Mod banners)
  3. It wouldn't hurt anyone (seriously what are the negative effects of having 8 people with an extra banner or two?)
There isn't harm I just don't think it would be the most useful way to get users the help they'd be looking for if they needed the tier leaders. A page for "tier leaders" in the members section is much more readily available.

I hear you on wanting a banner but I just don't think it's as useful as the other banners. A mod/staff banner is different in that the entire group is uniform. you can ask any staff a question and should get the same answer. If I need a specific council member but I only have seen a few of the banners that doesn't help me find the one I'm needing.

Adding the banners wouldn't hurt and it wouldn't really clutter anything but I don't see it being that helpful. Additionally, I feel like this argument just leads to its own slippery slope of those wanting recognition claiming they have a right to a banner.

Again, if the public thinks it'd be useful, Maybe I'd change my mind. Currently I've only heard from members of the council and that isn't incredibly convincing.

Not trying to argue here, I'm just posting my view of it. Again, I'd like to quit discussing it and wait for other responses as my opnion hasn't changed.

testing