• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Can someone help me with my Hail team please?

Serenity Cassel

Youngster Joey
Credits
So far I have a Timid Salazzle with Safety Goggles(Nasty Plot, Flamethrower, Toxic, and Venoshock), Timid Snow waning Alolan Ninetales with Icy Rock(Moonblast, Blizzard, Aurora Veil, and Hex). I want to use a Snow Warning Vanilluxe too to restart Hail if Ninetales goes out, but i don't know how to use it, and i need 3 more pokemon for the team, can someone please help?

Element Of Smash

Unslaad Krongrah
Donor
Credits
Ok, so a couple things

-What does Salazzle do? I get what actions it performs, but how does that contribute to your overall strategy? What role does it fill?

-Alolan Sandslash gets the ability Slush Rush, boosting its speed in hail. It's the linchpin of hail right now. Include Icicle Crash, Rock Slide and Iron Head

-Milotic or Gyarados to deal with things like Arcanine, which can also set Sunny Day to kill your weather

-Tapu Koko or Xurcitree could likewise help if your concerned about Rain Dancers, but they don't pose any huge threats

Garchomp and Celesteela would both do well as a complimentary pair to this team, giving you a good EQ spam lead and a method of dealing with Rock, Ground, Poison and Stall mons.

Serenity Cassel

Youngster Joey
Credits
Salazzle:timid, toxic, flamethrower, venoshock, and nasty plot, I actually am thinking about switching it with komala: bulk up, stockpile, wish, and play rough with normally z. I see Salazzle taking out Tanky mons with being able toxic anything, with getting a 130 base venoshock, and dealing super effective against steel types. Instead I see komala as better considering its only effected by sleep and it gets hella Tanky. At the same time A-Sandslash has 2 4x weaknesses to fire and fighting which are common and a weakness to ground which is also common

Last edited:

Element Of Smash

Unslaad Krongrah
Donor
Credits
Salazzle:timid, toxic, flamethrower, venoshock, and nasty plot, I actually am thinking about switching it with komala: bulk up, stockpile, wish, and play rough with normally z. I see Salazzle taking out Tanky mons with being able toxic anything, with getting a 130 base venoshock, and dealing super effective against steel types. Instead I see komala as better considering its only effected by sleep and it gets hella Tanky. At the same time A-Sandslash has 2 4x weaknesses to fire and fighting which are common and a weakness to ground which is also common
If you aren't running AlolanSlash, you basically aren't running a hail team. And I find your reasoning questionable. Name 4 top threats that you're building against, and we'll discuss why Sandslash can deal with them.

Element Of Smash

Unslaad Krongrah
Donor
Credits
Toxapex, primarina, Tapu lele, Celesteela
And Sandslash hits all of these super effectively, except Toxapex, which can't touch Sandslash.
Primarina: STAB Iron Head; resists all of it's moves
Tapu Lele: STAB Iron Head; only hit neutrally by Psychic
Celesteela: STAB Icicle Crash; hit neutrally by Heavy Slam and Flash Cannon

Defensive Calcs
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 156 SpD Sandslash-Alola in Psychic Terrain through Light Screen: 48-57 (32 - 38%) -- 91.1% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Primarina Sparkling Aria vs. 0 HP / 156 SpD Sandslash-Alola through Light Screen: 46-55 (30.6 - 36.6%) -- 65% chance to 3HKO
0- Atk Toxapex Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sandslash-Alola through Reflect: 16-20 (10.6 - 13.3%) -- possible 8HKO
4 SpA Celesteela Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 156 SpD Sandslash-Alola through Light Screen: 111-132 (74 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Offensive Calcs

252+ Atk Life Orb Sandslash-Alola Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 205-244 (115.8 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Sandslash-Alola Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Primarina: 103-122 (55 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Sandslash-Alola Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 55-65 (35 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Sandslash-Alola Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 86-101 (42.1 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

First thing you'll notice: you should ALWAYS have AV up. There's no reason not to. And as long as Hail is up, you should be able to outspeed all of these.

Serenity Cassel

Youngster Joey
Credits
It gets hit once with a fire or a fighting type move, it dies, earth power, it dies, plus even with slush rush, it's still outspend by a ton of things, marowak and Arcanine and Salazzle eats it for breakfast, same with anything that knows aura sphere or focus blast

Element Of Smash

Unslaad Krongrah
Donor
Credits
If you're looking for a perfect pokemon that handles literally everything, then you need to be playing Ubers.
You're asking for help on your HAIL team, and that's what I'm trying to do. But if you're going to argue till we're blue in the face about a single slot on your team that is by definition a Hail Sweeper, then why did you even open this thread? You clearly know more than I do, and don't need any help.
Good luck!