• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Closed [CAP] Hazard Protection [QC Reject 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Submission:
Name: Passive Hazard Protection
General Description of Concept: Prevents the removal of entry hazards from the opponent's side of the field without needing to be active.
Justification of Concept: The aim of this Pokemon is to allow the protection of hazards which you have laid without the need to come in and spinblock/get a boost from Defog (through Defiant, Competitive or Contrary). This would be a very important tool for teams which rely on hazards being retained - such as spikes stacking and Sticky Web teams - and it would fill a niche on said teams as it would act as a way of retaining your hazards for a large portion of the match.

Now, with this, I want to find a way to do something similar without the resulting pokemon breaking hazard stacking teams. This could be by giving the ability a certain percentage chance of working, or it could be by making it only work when the Pokemon is active on the field. Discuss.

Cannu

Staff member
Mod
Donor
Journalist
Credits
I think if you were to make it only work when the pokemon is active, that you'd be somewhat seperating it from the rest of the team, as then it would really have no continuity with your team.

Also, I think maintaining hazards permanently can be quite a significant game changer, so perhaps you could have a move, that maybe for example, locks the opponents hazards for say 5 turns. And then perhaps the ability could be a certain percentage that the number of turns is increased up to a maximum.

Strawberries

Captain Mc. Salt'n
Donor
Journalist
Credits
Submission:
Name:
Passive Hazard Protection
General Description of Concept: Prevents the removal of entry hazards from the opponent's side of the field without needing to be active.
Justification of Concept: The aim of this Pokemon is to allow the protection of hazards which you have laid without the need to come in and spinblock/get a boost from Defog (through Defiant, Competitive or Contrary). This would be a very important tool for teams which rely on hazards being retained - such as spikes stacking and Sticky Web teams - and it would fill a niche on said teams as it would act as a way of retaining your hazards for a large portion of the match.

Now, with this, I want to find a way to do something similar without the resulting pokemon breaking hazard stacking teams. This could be by giving the ability a certain percentage chance of working, or it could be by making it only work when the Pokemon is active on the field. Discuss.
If the Pokemon's Ability were to only work while Active, when you switch back out the hazards would come right back into play. Meaning that this ability would serve no real purpose other than letting this Pokemon come in with no hazards, which you can do with Magic Guard anyways.

I agree with @CannuJul, There should be an Ability similar to the Weather Abilties that clears off Hazards for about 5 turns, and mabye every turn all pokemon but one certain type take a slight amount of damage. That certain type is immune to the damage.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
If the Pokemon's Ability were to only work while Active, when you switch back out the hazards would come right back into play. Meaning that this ability would serve no real purpose other than letting this Pokemon come in with no hazards, which you can do with Magic Guard anyways.

I agree with @CannuJul, There should be an Ability similar to the Weather Abilties that clears off Hazards for about 5 turns, and mabye every turn all pokemon but one certain type take a slight amount of damage. That certain type is immune to the damage.
That isn't the concept. The concept is a pokemon which can prevent hazard removal. However, I would be all for an ability which clears hazards upon switch-in, as it would probably be easier to manage+implement. Thoughts?

Cannu

Staff member
Mod
Donor
Journalist
Credits
That isn't the concept. The concept is a pokemon which can prevent hazard removal. However, I would be all for an ability which clears hazards upon switch-in, as it would probably be easier to manage+implement. Thoughts?
Actually, a hazard clear on switch in could fit in a nice niche, because it means the Pokemon isn't rendered or left as just the "hazard clearer" and hence you could have a bit more flexibility with it.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Creating custom moves and abilities in the concept idea is banned.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
This is the concept discussion stage, and it is hard to discuss without the consideration of implementation - which, in this case, would most likely be through an ability.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
After looking at all the facts, I'm going to have to reject this. The idea of the Pokemon seems to rely far too heavily on the use of a custom ability or move which is not allowed. If anyone would like to raise the point about Syclant getting Mountaineer on Smogon's CAP - Syclant was not originally designed with the ability in mind, so if the custom ability wasn't voted for in the ability section of the process, it would not hinder the Pokemon in the long run.

QC Reject 1/2

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
In that case, QC Reject 2/2 Man... I never thought I'd reject my own idea for anything XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

testing