• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Open Countering Talonflame

PokemonFan

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I just make a team consist of Gardevoir (mega), Starmie, Serperior, Volcarona, Krookodile and Emboar. This team have some success but i notice that this team is very weak to Talonflame. Everytime it show up it must sacrifice one of my pokes to counter it. What pokemon you think is good countering Talon and suite for my team? I would prefer a non-mega and decently fast one that can attack on it own - not the support role.
Thanks a lot

cj-97

LUCIOBAAALLLLLLL!
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
King of the Ring
Iron Will
Credits
Well your current team has 3 pokemon weak to talonflame so i'd atleast recommend changing two pokemon of the team. As for countering talonflame, for me anyway, get a bulky pokemon that can take the hit and hit back with just as much force, eg. Garchomp w/ rough skin, maybe a Lando-T, etc, plus get something to get stealth rocks up because talonflame doesn't appreciate being crippled like that.

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
I just make a team consist of Gardevoir (mega), Starmie, Serperior, Volcarona, Krookodile and Emboar. This team have some success but i notice that this team is very weak to Talonflame. Everytime it show up it must sacrifice one of my pokes to counter it. What pokemon you think is good countering Talon and suite for my team? I would prefer a non-mega and decently fast one that can attack on it own - not the support role.
Thanks a lot
There are a few options for countering talonflame. These options will likely take the place of Emboar or Krookadile. Both are fine Pokemon, but may be a bit too niche to fit well on your team with a talonflame weakness. Options include Tyranitar, Heatran, Zapdos, Raikou, bulky Garchomp, rotom wash, Lando-t, Thundrus, Rhyperior, or really any bulky electric or rock type. If you need speed, you can always consider a scarf. I recommend you keep them bulky though as your team is lacking switch ins for a lot of things.

PokemonFan

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
There are a few options for countering talonflame. These options will likely take the place of Emboar or Krookadile. Both are fine Pokemon, but may be a bit too niche to fit well on your team with a talonflame weakness. Options include Tyranitar, Heatran, Zapdos, Raikou, bulky Garchomp, rotom wash, Lando-t, Thundrus, Rhyperior, or really any bulky electric or rock type. If you need speed, you can always consider a scarf. I recommend you keep them bulky though as your team is lacking switch ins for a lot of things.
I see. Look like Rotom W is decent in this role as well

DannySteeden

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Heatran is the best I've found, also having stealth rocks up obviously makes handling talonflame a lot easier

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
If I ever need to fill a talonflame weakness on my teams I will always use Rocky Helmet Tankchomp:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake / Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast / Toxic

EVs just allow it to take hitsavoid OHKOs from stuff like Zard-Y, Landorus, Keldeo, Gengar and M-Diancie while still being v. physically bulky. The EVs oupace adamant Bisharp and Breloom, as well as Jolly T-tar.

However, if you want to also be able to handle jolly SD Bisharp I suggest running 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe. U lose out on the ability to take hits from the aforementioned quintet, but it will force it to use Sucker Punch as opposed to using Knock Off, which doesn't OHKO Chomper at +2 while it gets OHKO'd by EQ.

PokemonFan

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
If I ever need to fill a talonflame weakness on my teams I will always use Rocky Helmet Tankchomp:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake / Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast / Toxic

EVs just allow it to take hitsavoid OHKOs from stuff like Zard-Y, Landorus, Keldeo, Gengar and M-Diancie while still being v. physically bulky. The EVs oupace adamant Bisharp and Breloom, as well as Jolly T-tar.

However, if you want to also be able to handle jolly SD Bisharp I suggest running 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe. U lose out on the ability to take hits from the aforementioned quintet, but it will force it to use Sucker Punch as opposed to using Knock Off, which doesn't OHKO Chomper at +2 while it gets OHKO'd by EQ.
Thank for the set but for some reason i just don't like defensive Garchomp. He's always my favorite, a powerhouse in the past. Now all the Garchomp i see is defensive one sadden me

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Thank for the set but for some reason i just don't like defensive Garchomp. He's always my favorite, a powerhouse in the past. Now all the Garchomp i see is defensive one sadden me
The main reason I suggested it is because it is argubly the best Talonflame stop in the meta atm, resisting Flare Blitz while making it take a huge chunk when it switches in on a Brave Bird. I have always had a tendency towards offensive Garchomp, but sometimes there is a role on a team that I need the defensive set to fill, and it has made me grow to love Garchomp less on its ability to punch holes in things and more on its sheer versatility. Just my two cents, take what you want from it :p

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
Mandibuzz with 252 hp 252 def.....its an awesome set to have on your team for a def wall and it gets defog. Itll take a brave bird and just roost it away and let tflame kill itself in recoil. Also if you get the opportunity use toxic with mandi on tflame just in case its a SD set. Also put a rocky helmet on mandi so it hurts itself with even more recoil.

252 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 100-118 (23.5 - 27.8%) -- 82.7% chance to 4HKO

PokemonFan

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Mandibuzz with 252 hp 252 def.....its an awesome set to have on your team for a def wall and it gets defog. Itll take a brave bird and just roost it away and let tflame kill itself in recoil. Also if you get the opportunity use toxic with mandi on tflame just in case its a SD set. Also put a rocky helmet on mandi so it hurts itself with even more recoil.

252 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 100-118 (23.5 - 27.8%) -- 82.7% chance to 4HKO
That's awesome. Worth for a try. Thank

testing