• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Create-a-Pokemon (CAP) #1 - Concept Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Phase 1 - Concept Ideas

Welcome! As you may have seen from the Introduction to OMs thread, I stated that I was planning to get rid of Smogon CAP and replace it with our own variant of CAP, designed and created by us as a community!

CAP stands for Create-a-Pokémon, and in this project we will bring together ideas and sprite designs to try and create a different OM (CAP OU). Currently, we will only be accepting suggestions that see how certain new concepts would affect the OU metagame, so concept ideas based on other tiers are banned.

The CAP Quality Control Council will be decided by myself after Round 1 has ended so we can get a feel of who has the most ideas, etc. The concept stage of the CAP project will end on 6/2/15.

Below are the rules for submission - if your post (in any stage of the process) does not meet the given requirements, your post will be ignored and deleted by the Site Staff and Quality Control Council. If you do believe you have a good idea, please put as much detail as you can into your post - a good, legal concept requires a lot of effort and thought.
  • One submission per person. You may edit your submission, but you may not change the fundamental concept behind your Pokémon after it has been posted. If editing your concept, please edit the original post instead of posting again unnecessarily. Do not bump your creation by reposting after you have posted it. If people do not comment on it, so be it -
    • If a Quality Control member created a thread out of your idea, you are allowed to submit a new one at that time.
    • If a Quality Control member has not created a thread out of your concept, you are allowed to submit a new one after one week of posting your original concept.
  • Do not duplicate or closely-resemble concept already posted by others. It is your responsibility to read through all previous submissions in this thread to ensure you are complying with this rule. Ignorance or laziness is not an excuse.
  • Specific Pokémon types or type combos cannot be included or excluded in a concept. Nor can other characteristics of the concept specifically result in in the inclusion or exclusion of types. If you wish to discuss typing, this will done at a separate time in the CAP process, not in the concept ideas section. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
    • "This is a Fairy-type Pokémon..."
    • "The pokémon should be immune to Fire attacks..."
    • "The pokémon should have at least 7 resistances..."
    • "The pokémon should get STAB on [Insert Move Here].."
  • Specific Abilities are not allowed.This applies to existing abilities and new abilities. Do not attempt to circumvent this rule by mentioning specific battle effects that can only be achieved by the implementation of an ability. Like typing, this will be discussed at a separate stage in the CAP development project. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
    • "This pokémon should have a ability like Intimidate or Marvel Scale..."
    • "This pokémon has an ability that steals the opponent's held item..."
    • "When this pokémon is switched in, all weather conditions are nullified..."
  • Movepools or lists of moves are not allowed. A specific move can be mentioned if it is the basis for the entire concept. For example, the suggestion "Rapid Spinner" would obviously mention the move Rapid Spin. However, if you suggest a move such as Thunderbolt, this is not allowed.
  • Specific stat bias, base stats, or base stat ratings are not allowed. It is acceptable to use descriptive phrases like "fast", "bulky", "strong attacker", etc -- since there are a variety of ways a pokémon can fit those descriptions without specifically requiring certain stats. But, do not use overly-specific descriptions that would narrowly constrain the pokémon's base stat spread.
  • Indications of Physical/Special bias are discouraged, but acceptable if it is essential to the concept.
  • Do not refer to any part of the pokémon's artistic design. For example, the following phrases would be banned since they just aren’t required at this stage in the CAP process:
    • "This is a bright blue pokémon..."
    • "The pokémon looks like a..."
    • "The pokémon uses its long tail to..."
  • A concept must be submitted in the proper format. The format is described below. If the proper format is not used, we will simply delete your post regardless of content.
  • CAP Projects are made for the OU Metagame: Concepts specifying other metagames or formats (such as UU or Doubles) are not allowed.
  • Do not ask for any kind of mega evolution. If, in future projects, we ask you to come up with a mega evolution idea, we will state as such.

The first Perfect Pokémon Create-a-Pokémon Project will be done in the following format:
Step 1: Concept Ideas
> Quality Control Council will be decided by myself

Step 2a: Type Submissions
Step 2b: Type Poll

Step 3a: Base Stat Submissions
Step 3b: Base Stat Poll

Step 4: Checks/Counters Discussion
> Start of Art Submissions
Note: Art submissions MUST be in sprite form.

Step 5a: Ability Submissions (main ability/abilities (and possibly hidden ability))
Step 5b: Ability Poll

Step 6a: Movepool Submissions
Step 6b: Movepool Poll

Step 7: Secondary Checks/Counters Discussion
> Start of Name Submissions

Step 8a: Resubmission of Base Stat Concepts
Step 8b: Final decision on Base Stats Poll

Step 9: Sprite and Artwork Poll

Step 10: Name Poll

Step 11: Miscellaneous Data (Height, Weight, Pre-Evolutions, etc)
> Server Implementation

Step 12: Testing and Final Analysis

Please display all primary submissions as follows:
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] (short name)
[B]Description of Concept:[/B] (about a sentence or two)
[B]Reasons for Concept:[/B] (see below)

• Name: It doesn’t need to be anything fancy, as the name of the Pokemon will come under Step 7 of the CAP process. This should just give a brief idea of what the concept will be before you go into detail.
  • Description of Concept: Following the aforementioned rules, give one or two sentences on what impact your idea will have on the OU CAP metagame. Don’t give justification of why the Pokemon is needed, that is in the next section - for now, just detail what the concept does.
  • Reasons for Concept: Here, please detail why your concept will have a notable effect on the OU metagame. At this stage, you could discuss things like: how this CAP suggestion will help us to understand the metagame further, how certain Pokemon become less over-centralizing with the creation of this CAP suggestion, etc.

Please understand that this process will take a rather long time, so please be patient with it! I have no doubts that we will start CAP Round 2 after this, so unused ideas may be reused then if not used here.

Submissions end on 5/31/15. The concept vote will then stay open for a week.

Last edited:

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Submission:
Name: Passive Hazard Protection
General Description of Concept: Prevents the removal of entry hazards from the opponent's side of the field without needing to be active.
Justification of Concept: The aim of this Pokemon is to allow the protection of hazards which you have laid without the need to come in and spinblock/get a boost from Defog (through Defiant, Competitive or Contrary). This would be a very important tool for teams which rely on hazards being retained - such as spikes stacking and Sticky Web teams - and it would fill a niche on said teams as it would act as a way of retaining your hazards for a large portion of the match.

Additional Points:
Questions to be Answered:
  • How much of an effect will this have on the metagame?
  • Is it a positive or negative effect? Will hazard-heavy strategies become broken?
  • When is it best to opt to carry a Defog/Rapid Spin user in the slot that this would otherwise take up?
  • How will this affect the viability of suicide leads such as Custap Forretress/Skarmory?

Last edited:

Slashtalon21

Trouble Maker
Credits
Name: Rotom-w counter
Description of concept: A splashable Provides a 100% couetr to rotom wash as well as some special attckers such as keldeo in the tier.
Reason for concept: the metagame arguably lacks a solid counter to rotom wash other than venusaur which doesn't work on every team. Rotom wash has had high usage since the start of the generation and without a counter it can easily cripple an entire team with will o wisp, volt switch and considerable bulk. Adding the rotom wash counter to the tier would cause a decrease in the usage of rotom wash and other special or volt switch mons. However this would cause an increase in the usage of talonflame as rotom wash is one of its only checks.

Niqyue

Fire Starter
Credits
Name: Bruiser Wall
Description of concept: There aren't many walls in any tier that do a significant amount of damage besides Heatran. While switching into you're wall breaker you should be a bit fearful of what you switch into.
Reason for concept: As a stall player there aren't a lot of options in terms of what you're going to be using for damage that still suits the theme of your play style, especially in the perfect pokemon meta when you're limited in item distribution in item clause. This pokemon would obviously have some play around but should give the opposing battler into thinking before putting in there wall breaker.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Name: Masquerain counter
Description of Concept: Would be able to defeat masquerain easily (if such a thing is even possible)
Reasons for Concept: masquerain is a giant threat, being the only pokemon in OU to be able to wield intimidate and Sticky Web. The ability to also QD and Baton pass is scary. It's options as a lead are amazing, and it needs to be stopped. I hope this isn't too unrealistic...

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Name: Masquerain counter
Description of Concept: Would be able to defeat masquerain easily (if such a thing is even possible)
Reasons for Concept: masquerain is a giant threat, being the only pokemon in OU to be able to wield intimidate and Sticky Web. The ability to also QD and Baton pass is scary. It's options as a lead are amazing, and it needs to be stopped. I hope this isn't too unrealistic...
"CAP Projects are made for the OU Metagame: Concepts specifying other metagames or formats (such as UU or Doubles) are not allowed."

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
"CAP Projects are made for the OU Metagame: Concepts specifying other metagames or formats (such as UU or Doubles) are not allowed."
OU was specified

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Name: Sticky Web 2.0
Description of Concept: Effectively, this concept would allow for a Sticky Web Pokemon that is a) not a suicide lead and b) does not completely kill momentum.
Reason for Concept: Currently, in OU, there are only two real Sticky Web users: Smeargle and Shuckle (since Galvantula is kinda ass). A sticky web user that wouldn't be a suicide lead would really help the strategy in OU IMO, and it would allow teams to not have to run a suicide lead just to get up Sticky Web (and Stealth Rocks if you're lucky). By using this idea, we can also see what Pokemon rise up in a metagame with an increased emphasis on Speed Control.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Name: Rotom-w counter
Description of concept: A splashable Provides a 100% couetr to rotom wash as well as some special attckers such as keldeo in the tier.
Reason for concept: the metagame arguably lacks a solid counter to rotom wash other than venusaur which doesn't work on every team. Rotom wash has had high usage since the start of the generation and without a counter it can easily cripple an entire team with will o wisp, volt switch and considerable bulk. Adding the rotom wash counter to the tier would cause a decrease in the usage of rotom wash and other special or volt switch mons. However this would cause an increase in the usage of talonflame as rotom wash is one of its only checks.
TBH, Rotom-W isn't hard to handle. Also, it is countered by basically every special Grass-type in the tier. It is one of those things that you don't really think about when teambuilding and just passively happen to place a counter to it on your team for.
Name: Bruiser Wall
Description of concept: There aren't many walls in any tier that do a significant amount of damage besides Heatran. While switching into you're wall breaker you should be a bit fearful of what you switch into.
Reason for concept: As a stall player there aren't a lot of options in terms of what you're going to be using for damage that still suits the theme of your play style, especially in the perfect pokemon meta when you're limited in item distribution in item clause. This pokemon would obviously have some play around but should give the opposing battler into thinking before putting in there wall breaker.
You forgot Mega Altaria, Clefable, Landorus-T, Tankchomp, Mega Sableye, SpD Excadrill, Hippowdon, Mega Latias, (Mega) Slowbro, defensive Starmie, Tyranitar, Mega Venusaur, SubToxic Aegislash... yeah you get the picture of my thoughts on this one.

IronKnuckleLucario

Youngster Joey
Credits
Name: Fairy's Demon

Description of Concept: A pokémon made specifically for countering fairy-type pokémon.

Reason for Concept: With the recent addition of fairy-types, the search for counters is of vital importance. However, most poison and steel -types are defensively oriented; and the few that are pointed towards attack are not often particularly viable. By creating a viable counter, it would cut down on the amount of fairies used and force users to create more inventive teams rather than just using a powerful type.

Last edited:

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
I have changed my one to the one I have posted in Smogon's CAP because I reallised when I was typing up my old one onto Smogon that it was sh*t in comparison. Sorry that I'm changing the core concept but I have realised that this concept is far better/unique. Feel free to unlike it if you have liked it already and prefer the old concept, as I want to get an accurate representation of how much people like it.

Loli-Shark

Pokémon Champion
Will Not Fall
Credits
alright, then don't accept my idea if you want masquerain to just rampage the meta

Imma use a masqurein to prove Jiggly has a valid argument :3

Name: No more STAB
Description: Here's the thing, I feel that the introduction of STABless pokes was a great thing, and it was a shame it ended, so lets bring it back.

Reason: So we have eelektross with levitate, but that is used in RU, because of it being kinda frail and slow, and in OU, there are much better scarf options, like a victini or jirachi etc. So if we involves similar pokes into the OU meta, it would change the dynamic. Landorus would be crippled against it, excadrill would be the same as would gliscor and heatran. Maybe if it had more bulk, or could be faster. Similarly, the same could be said for a sap sipper with water/ground typing. Make it weak in attack but you could make it a tank and live for a long time. This would change the usage of some choice pokes, along with mega saur (which I see often for the thick fat), ruin serperior, make spore breloom useless and generally make the meta a little more varied.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Just so you are aware, I am leaving concept submissions open until 5/31/2015. We will then take a vote on which concept to pursue.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Imma use a masqurein to prove Jiggly has a valid argument :3

Name: No more STAB
Description: Here's the thing, I feel that the introduction of STABless pokes was a great thing, and it was a shame it ended, so lets bring it back.

Reason: So we have eelektross with levitate, but that is used in RU, because of it being kinda frail and slow, and in OU, there are much better scarf options, like a victini or jirachi etc. So if we involves similar pokes into the OU meta, it would change the dynamic. Landorus would be crippled against it, excadrill would be the same as would gliscor and heatran. Maybe if it had more bulk, or could be faster. Similarly, the same could be said for a sap sipper with water/ground typing. Make it weak in attack but you could make it a tank and live for a long time. This would change the usage of some choice pokes, along with mega saur (which I see often for the thick fat), ruin serperior, make spore breloom useless and generally make the meta a little more varied.
To have no weaknesses would leave a very limited number of options available to choose from (Water+Ground w/ Sap Sipper, Electric with Levitate, Ghost+Dark with an ability that makes it immune to Fairy etc.) and it wouldn't really add to the format in terms of new niches, roles etc. Also, to comment on the last bit of the last sentence, the metagame is far from un-varying, with there argubly being more viable 'mons than in any other tier - as well as a far wider variety of viable sets that things can run.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
@Marigi174 @Slashtalon21 @IronKnuckleLucario @Loli-Shark @Niqyue

All of your ideas have been approved be me. If you wish to continue discussion, please move them to relevant threads. The QC will be elected personally by myself in the next few days to act as a moderation team for this project, and if two QC members disagree with the idea you have proposed, your concept will be declined. All approved posts will be voted on on 5/31/15.

On another note, you may also submit new ideas.

Strawberries

Captain Mc. Salt'n
Donor
Journalist
Credits
  • Name: Switch Initiative Counter
  • Description of Concept: A Pokémon that allows us to efficiently stop/block Switch Initiative.
  • Reasons for Concept: Switch Initiative is commonly used in battles to allow the opponent/user to switch out while dealing damage. Although Switch Initiative has many other purposes, such as allowing the user to switch without the worry of pursuit (Although if you're slower than your opponent you will take normal damage before you switch in, and if you're faster you'll take damage coming in.) Switch Initiative is used for scouting too. Finnaly switch Initiative can be used when your opponent switches, so you can switch into a counter. So Why do we need to stop Switch Initiative? Well, having your opponent switch into something and just being able to switch into a counter to it makes you one step ahead of your opponent. It put's you in a "What do I do?" kind of position and there aren't really any pokemon that would allow you to stop it. With a pokemon to stop switch initiative we could find a way out of situations like this. You get the point.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
  • Name: Switch Initiative Counter
  • Description of Concept: A Pokémon that allows us to efficiently stop/block Switch Initiative.
  • Reasons for Concept: Switch Initiative is commonly used in battles to allow the opponent/user to switch out while dealing damage. Although Switch Initiative has many other purposes, such as allowing the user to switch without the worry of pursuit (Although if you're slower than your opponent you will take normal damage before you switch in, and if you're faster you'll take damage coming in.) Switch Initiative is used for scouting too. Finnaly switch Initiative can be used when your opponent switches, so you can switch into a counter. So Why do we need to stop Switch Initiative? Well, having your opponent switch into something and just being able to switch into a counter to it makes you one step ahead of your opponent. It put's you in a "What do I do?" kind of position and there aren't really any pokemon that would allow you to stop it. With a pokemon to stop switch initiative we could find a way out of situations like this. You get the point.
Go ahead and make your thread - may as well move discussions away from this thread to leave it open for ideas.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Name: @Dom counter
Description of Concept: Something that can take on NU pokemon and Clefable.
Reasons for Concept: @Dom rampages across Perfectpokemon slaying with Relicanth, Whimsicott, RU/NU pokemon, and clefable. We need a pokemon knowledgable enough of weird sets like rest skill swap Dusclops. CLEFABLE set up is also crazy, so we need stat resets. Phasing is also a need for such a pokemon. This pokemon needs at least 5 evolutions so I can havea team of this species to face Dom with to make sure I don't get utterly destroyed.

I also I have one more idea

Name: @Matt_192 time machine
Description of Concept: Matt needs more turns to finish CAP while he battles
Reasons for Concept: Matt does way more work than Dom ever does, so a pokemon who could freeze the whole team from moving would be great. Matt needs some work taken off his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

testing