• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Hoopa Unbound: Will he be viable?

AndromedaNexus

Lorekeeper
Donor
Credits
With the help of the hacking elite, we were able to discover this little fellow

hoopa.gif

This is Hoopa, an event Pokemon with a Psychic/Ghost typing.

This guy is relatively...underwhelming. Even with its awesome special bulk(base 130 Special Defense), its not taking any dark or ghost hits, Which sadly, every team has. and let's not even mention it's mediocre Speed and Defense stat(Base 60 and 70 respectively). But, it does have that amazing base 150 Special Attack stat as well as a good base 110 Attack stat. Although it doesn't enjoy taking many hits, nothing really wants to take something from it either.

But now, the hacking elite have also shown us this monster

hoopa-unbound.gif

This is Hoopa-Unbound...let's just say ORAS made him a bit stronger. It's a Psychic/Dark type event Pokemon that you gain access to once you trade over your Hoopa from X/Y and use an event item given to you.

This...abomination has ungodly attacking stats, having a base 160 Attack stat and a base 170 Special Attack stat. Oh, did I mention that Hoopa will be getting two signature moves it will have fun with? let's look at them now.

Hyperspace Hole is a Special Psychic Attack with 80 power and PERFECT accuracy, the move also hits through ANY protect move(Protect, Detect, King's Shield, you name it).

Hyperspace Fury is a Special Dark Attack with 100 power and PERFECT accuracy, The move also hits through ANY protect move, but will lower your Defense stat by 1.

Once Hoopa is unbound, he also gets a boost in speed, making him hit a base Speed of 80. Unfortunately, it does not receive a boost to any of its Defenses.

With all those positives, there has got to be some negatives...right?

Right...

Both Hoopa forms have the ability Magician, which steals the item of the Pokemon it's attacking, it's not really bad, but having no item is like going to war without some supplies(thankfully you can steal some, right?). Even with a boost in Speed, base 80 is relatively underwhelming and with a Defense of 60, plus having a signature move that LOWERS your already low Defense....You can't be so much as tickled without bursting into flames(U-turn makes Hoopa-Unbound cry)(can't imagine that Six-handed thing ever shedding a tear) .

So, I ask you, Team Nova. Whenever this beast comes out, will he be viable? What are some sets you can see coming from this Pokemon? Will you be running him? Are you excited to see this Pokemon get released? Comment down below and I look forward to talking with you guys! :)

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
From experience I can say that Unbound form is insane xD

On normal form I like a scarfed special attacker with destiny bond, it's fun but unbound is exponentially better than normal in typing alone

Jamie

Youngster Joey
Credits
it looks scary D:
how did such a cute and small thing turned out this way ~

XenEdge

Youngster Joey
Credits
It looks pretty gnarly, and someones gonna find a perfect setup and probably get it banned for being OP....it happens a lot lol. Fingers crossed they let Protean ability stay! D:

BlaZe_SquaD

Youngster Joey
Credits
Hoopa could be such a beast... With some sort of speed boost baton pass combo, opponents wouldn't even stand a chance to that crazy speed and attack... My gosh...