• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

I'm New To Pokemon! Please Help

Ruby

Youngster Joey
Credits
Hi, I'm new to the whole Competitive Pokemon thing. I've been playing Pokemon since Red and have a little knowledge! I've come from the Call Of Duty community which I'm now bored of and need some help! If you can teach me a thing or two I would really appreciate it! Thanks@

x0rqasmatr0n

Bad Blood
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Friendzilla
Credits
Uh @Dom could probably help you.

articman

Youngster Joey
Credits
Ok well, competitive Pokemon is an incredibly complicated topic that can't be fully explained in one post so I will explain what I consider the two fundamentals to be, IV's and EV's. I highly recommend you watch Verlisify's channel on Youtube since it contains tons of guides. IV's and Ev's both relate to the stats of a Pokemon. IV's are a set of base stats a Pokemon is born with and can never change through training, a Pokemon can have up to 31 IV points per stat and each IV point is one stat point. EV points are developed via training. Think of them like allocating points into different stats in an RPG like Dragon Age Origins. Whenever you defeat a Pokemon a certain amount of EV points are given to the Pokemon, usually one or two. Four EV points equals one stat point in a certain stat. When it comes to competitive battles it's important to allocate these EV points wisely because you can only have up to 252 of them. For example you don't give a high damage sweeper Pokemon EV's into HP since it's not designed to take a hit, you would instead allocate EV's into more attack points. Like I said this is way to long of a discussion for one post so your probably going to want to surf around on Youtube.

Ruby

Youngster Joey
Credits
Ok well, competitive Pokemon is an incredibly complicated topic that can't be fully explained in one post so I will explain what I consider the two fundamentals to be, IV's and EV's. I highly recommend you watch Verlisify's channel on Youtube since it contains tons of guides. IV's and Ev's both relate to the stats of a Pokemon. IV's are a set of base stats a Pokemon is born with and can never change through training, a Pokemon can have up to 31 IV points per stat and each IV point is one stat point. EV points are developed via training. Think of them like allocating points into different stats in an RPG like Dragon Age Origins. Whenever you defeat a Pokemon a certain amount of EV points are given to the Pokemon, usually one or two. Four EV points equals one stat point in a certain stat. When it comes to competitive battles it's important to allocate these EV points wisely because you can only have up to 252 of them. For example you don't give a high damage sweeper Pokemon EV's into HP since it's not designed to take a hit, you would instead allocate EV's into more attack points. Like I said this is way to long of a discussion for one post so your probably going to want to surf around on Youtube.
Thanks a bunch man! I have been watching TheJustinFlynn. He has been a lot of help looking at his teams and such! I'll check out Verlisify!

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
Yeah sure, I can help you, under competitive battling we have a mentoring program too if you're interested

If you want me to help just shoot me a PM :]

Ruby

Youngster Joey
Credits
Yeah sure, I can help you, under competitive battling we have a mentoring program too if you're interested

If you want me to help just shoot me a PM :]
Thanks Man! Mentoring Will Help A lot! How can I get IT!

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits

testing