• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Open In Need of Competitive Help

OmegaRend

Youngster Joey
Credits
So I'm a little new to wanting to do competitive battles and rating battles. Right now I only have 5 pokemon I would like on my team and currently have. I need help with a 6th member and how to get started in rating battles.

Current team:
Bisharp (Physical Sweeper) 252 ATK/252 Spe/4 HP
Ability: Defiant Item: Dread Plate
Moveset: Knock Off, Swords Dance, Iron Head, Shadow Claw

Clefable (Mixed Wall) 252 HP/160 Def/96 SpD
Ability: Magic Guard Item: Shell Bell
Moveset: Drain Punch, Dazzling Gleam, Flamethrower, Calm Mind

Lopunny (Physical Sweeper/Lead) 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Ability: Cute Charm Item: Luponnite
Moveset: Charm, Ice Punch, Return, High Jump Kick

Latios (Special Attacker) 252 SpA/252 Spe/4SpD
Ability: Levitate Item: Soothe Bell
Moveset: Psyshock, Earthquake, Roost, Fly

Vaporeon (Special Wall) 252 HP/252 SpD/4 SpA
Ability: Water Absorb Item: Leftovers
Moveset: Aqua Ring, Toxic, Scald, Ice Beam

Japas

Youngster Joey
Credits
- I don´t see Drain Punch doing much good on a pokémon with no Atk investment, STAB or Atk buffs. I use Drain Punch on my bulky Hypno, but that´s after he´s gotten +6 atk through Psych Up (I mostly play doubles).
- Nobody uses Aqua Ring; On Vaporeon in particular, since it has such a good HP stat, Wish would be preferable.
- I´ve never seen Bisharp have any kind of success on a competitive team, I suspect because of its unfortunate defensive typing; It´s the kind of pokémon that´ll only really work if you build your team around it (or you get lucky, I guess)
- Your Latios has Fly. Never carry Fly on a competitive pokémon, especially if it´s a special attacker.
- You NEED something that can handle Fighting types. One strong Fighting type could potentially sweep your entire team right now.

Sky

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
U should delete aqua ring O.O Not good nooooot good XD
if u want a tip u should use a weavile :D
Or an Espeon or Gengar
Gengar and espeon for Fighting types put a good psychic move on it :)

OmegaRend

Youngster Joey
Credits
Everyone says go Wish over Aqua Ring on my Vaporeon...but I dont know...I kind of like Aqua Ring + Leftovers on her. If Wish is the way to go for competitive though, I can change it up. I've never done anything competitive wise in Pokemon; usually I just breed, shiny hunt, and legendary hunt.

Chooser-of-ways

Pokémon Champion
Credits
If you wish I have a competitive team that could try to win because I'm going to be auctioning it off one part at a time here soon, but if you wish I'll sell you the whole thing now. It's a good time and so far after 35 battles it's lost only 5 times and that was when I was starting to get use to it.

shiiro

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Everyone says go Wish over Aqua Ring on my Vaporeon...but I dont know...I kind of like Aqua Ring + Leftovers on her. If Wish is the way to go for competitive though, I can change it up. I've never done anything competitive wise in Pokemon; usually I just breed, shiny hunt, and legendary hunt.
6th member would likely be a Special attacker?
I usually run Calm Mind Gardevoir as my special sweeper, but maybe you could go with Magnezone with HP Fire or Nasty Plot Zoroark(really tricky yet fun)

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
So I'm a little new to wanting to do competitive battles and rating battles. Right now I only have 5 pokemon I would like on my team and currently have. I need help with a 6th member and how to get started in rating battles.

Current team:
Bisharp (Physical Sweeper) 252 ATK/252 Spe/4 HP
Ability: Defiant Item: Dread Plate
Moveset: Knock Off, Swords Dance, Iron Head, Shadow Claw

Clefable (Mixed Wall) 252 HP/160 Def/96 SpD
Ability: Magic Guard Item: Shell Bell
Moveset: Drain Punch, Dazzling Gleam, Flamethrower, Calm Mind

Lopunny (Physical Sweeper/Lead) 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Ability: Cute Charm Item: Luponnite
Moveset: Charm, Ice Punch, Return, High Jump Kick

Latios (Special Attacker) 252 SpA/252 Spe/4SpD
Ability: Levitate Item: Soothe Bell
Moveset: Psyshock, Earthquake, Roost, Fly

Vaporeon (Special Wall) 252 HP/252 SpD/4 SpA
Ability: Water Absorb Item: Leftovers
Moveset: Aqua Ring, Toxic, Scald, Ice Beam
I'll just bulletpoint everything
  • Dread Plate NO NO NO NO NO!! Try running a Life Orb or Black Glasses to boost the power of Knock Off and Iron Head.
  • IMO replace Shadow Claw with Sucker Punch. It's great priority and dread plate isn't doing much for you
  • With Clefable, get rid of Drain Punch for Soft-boiled. It's a lot more reliable and that way, when it comes to your natures, you don't have to decrease speed or something. Also, IMO, if you're going to be setting up CM's, you don't particularly need the SpDef investment - try 252+ Defence (+Def, -Atk - Bold nature).
  • IMO Leftovers or Life Orb on Clefable. I see Item Clause being an issue with this team unfortunately :/
  • IMO run Limber on Lopunny. It means you can't be paralyzed on switch-ins. EVs are fine though (run Jolly nature)
  • Soothe Bell Latios? I'm not even sure what it does, lol. I would recommend a Scarf Latios here as a cleaner (trying to stay away from using Life Orb)
  • 3 words of advice for competitive battling: never use Fly. Please xD Also, I don't see much point in running Earthquake on a Special Sweeper - try Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Surf / Hidden Power Fire or Thunderbolt
  • Despite Aqua Ring, Vaporeon's fine - try Protect for Toxic Stall.

testing