• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active OFFICAL: Tournament Times Poll

What time would you like the tournament to be held?

• Other time - state below

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 2PM EST

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3PM EST

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • 4PM EST

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Keep it the same - 5PM EST

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
My previous thread on tournament times, found here, discussed the practical applications of moving the tournament times around to suit more international players. This has really peaked now, as I see a lot of members from the Europe, Asian and Australian communities on the site, either in the forums or in the shoutbox.

You can find all of my reasoning in the previous thread, but doulie and myself have agreed to post this poll to get an idea of what everyone thinks about moving the tournament times.

This may or may not be in effect for next week's tournament - we will have to see how it goes.

doulie

King of the Ring
Staff member
Admin
Credits

Gym Badges

This will help determine official tournament times... so vote!

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
I'm going to say 3pm just because that will be 1pm for PST, so it won't be at lunch for those folks.

Either way, I think moving it up is a great idea with how many people we've seen joining in the last tournaments and how long they've been running.

DoctorDPS

Youngster Joey
Credits
It'd be cool to do an evening tournament time, such as 7pm EST or so. Since I live over in Japan, that will prevent me from having to wake up so early to actually play with you guys. 3pm would be killer for me, because I am not an early bird by any means. :)

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
It'd be cool to do an evening tournament time, such as 7pm EST or so. That way I won't have to wake up so early to actually play with you guys. 3pm would be killer for me, because I am not an early bird by any means. :)
What timezone are you in? o.o

I think the main reason we're pushing it the opposite direction from 5pm is because it doesn't work well with other timezones and pushing it later could potentially discourage a lot of the younger aged American users who have bedtimes (especially with how long it's been running lately). :(

On another note, @doulie @Matt_192 - have we ever considered splitting it into two parts? Obviously it's not beneficial in the sense that people have to show up for two days, but this would fix a couple problems I saw in the last few tourneys (running so long people have to leave for family commitments, timezones [since it's shorter we could push it wherever we wanted such as doctors suggestion], etc). Maybe a Sat/Sun thing?

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits

I think the main reason we're pushing it the opposite direction from 5pm is because it doesn't work well with other timezones and pushing it later could potentially discourage a lot of the younger aged American users who have bedtimes (especially with how long it's been running lately). :(

On another note, @doulie @Matt_192 - have we ever considered splitting it into two parts? Obviously it's not beneficial in the sense that people have to show up for two days, but this would fix a couple problems I saw in the last few tourneys (running so long people have to leave for family commitments, timezones [since it's shorter we could push it wherever we wanted such as doctors suggestion], etc). Maybe a Sat/Sun thing?
Hmm... I do like the idea very much to be honest, I only have on issue... We currently run the tournament a round at a time... If we carried on doing that, there could be quite large delays if one person can't turn up until the Sunday. For example, the bottom bracket could have finished round 1, but we could be waiting on another match from the opposite bracket. Similarly, if we just let people play their matches as they got them, the same could happen.

By no means is it a bad idea, I just think that people would have to be more careful if they wish to participate :)

DoctorDPS

Youngster Joey
Credits

I live in the Japan Standard Time Zone. So I'm 14 hours ahead of EST. So at 3pm, I'd be looking at a 5am competing time. So for Oceanic members, times in the afternoon EST are rather difficult. So the idea of splitting the tournament into two parts is a pretty good idea!

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
Hmm... I do like the idea very much to be honest, I only have on issue... We currently run the tournament a round at a time... If we carried on doing that, there could be quite large delays if one person can't turn up until the Sunday. For example, the bottom bracket could have finished round 1, but we could be waiting on another match from the opposite bracket. Similarly, if we just let people play their matches as they got them, the same could happen.

By no means is it a bad idea, I just think that people would have to be more careful if they wish to participate :)
Yeah, I know that this would be the biggest downside. Maybe we could think of better ways to implement it.

For instance we could split the brackets up and only have the winners from each bracket (the Saturday bracket and the Sunday bracket) show up for one final battle at some given point after the Sunday tournament. This would even make it flexible for people who work one day but not the other (unless they're the winner of the Sat. bracket then they'd need to show up for the final battle on the Sun. bracket).

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Yeah, I know that this would be the biggest downside. Maybe we could think of better ways to implement it.

For instance we could split the brackets up and only have the winners from each bracket (the Saturday bracket and the Sunday bracket) show up for one final battle at some given point after the Sunday tournament. This would even make it flexible for people who work one day but not the other (unless they're the winner of the Sat. bracket then they'd need to show up for the final battle on the Sun. bracket).
Ooooh sounds good to me - @doulie , what are your thoughts on this idea?

AndromedaNexus

Lorekeeper
Donor
Credits
I am very much in favor of the two day tournament Idea, It relieves a ton of pressure for our international users and younger users who have a hard time staying through the entire tourney. As the site keeps growing,this issue will only become more prevalent, so lets fix it now.