• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active On-Site Analyses and Contributor Banners

Which idea(s) do you like

• On-Site Analyses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trusted Contributor and Community Contributor Banners

• Both

• Neither

• Unsure

• Total voters

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
I am submitting these suggestions due to the upcoming release of the PP tier and metagame lists for ORAS.

On-Site Analyses
My first idea is to have analyses for the Perfect Pokemon metagame, which go through a process of creation, quality control and grammar checking before their final upload to a forum on the site which compiles all completed analyses. This would be done through a process of writing inside-the-box sets so that there is a standard which is suited to the perfectpokemon.com metagames.

Details about each stage:
  • WIP: The analysis is having its skeleton written. Suggestions can be given at this stage but QC stamps can't be given out at this stage.
  • Quality Control: The idea here is to get the details of the analysis down. Anyone can contribute and make suggestions, but there will be a group of members - the quality control (QC) team for the tier/metagame - who have the ability to give out QC stamps. These people will be chosen after large amounts of discussion and there will be regular changes to the members of this group to account for knowledge of the metagame as it stands. An analysis will require three QC stamps to advance past the stage, and it must be in bullet points until it receives two QC stamps, when it is written up, looked over for the last time (post write-up) and given its third stamp.
  • Grammar Check (Grammar Pros): The idea here is that, once an analysis has been written up and given its third stamp, it goes through a thorough grammar check, to match the on-site style guide, fix incorrect spellings and uses of punctuation and ensure that the formatting is all correct. Anyone may do grammar checks, but unless it is done by a member of the official grammar pros (GP) team it will count as an amcheck (amateur check), which can be stamped by a member of the GP team if they feel that the check is completely up to scratch with no errors. Amcheckers can be promoted to members of the GP team if they sign up to join the team and consistently make top-notch amchecks. This will require two stamps to ensure that anything which is missed in the earlier checks is caught before upload.
  • Done: The analysis is complete and ready for upload.
Analyses will be inside-the-box and will act as "standard" sets seen on-site, with niche options listed near the bottom, sets explained, team options for each set explained, tips for use of each set given and checks and counters to the Pokemon as a whole at the very bottom. They will be written under the assumption that Item Clause has not been activated, and sets must be usable on most teams that they are on (so things like Choice Scarf Excadrill or Offensive Defog Latios are good, but niche options like PhysDef Counter Chansey and Cosmic Power Mega Lopunny are other options material at best)

The quality control team will vary from tier to tier, with one tier leader in charge of the QC team of the metagame, as well as one person in charge of contributions and corrections (C&C) as a whole (which me due to my previous experience in analysis writing on Smogon and this being my idea), but the GP team will be global as they are solely focusing on spelling, grammar and ensuring that the analysis meets the site's style guide.

Trusted Contributor and Community Contributor Banners
This would be a way of acknowledging large contributions to C&C (Trusted Contributor) or the community as a whole (Community Contributor). People with the banner will have privileges in C&C that other members don't, such as the ability to reserve more analyses at a time than members without the banner would and access contributor-only forums, and they will be held at a generally higher standard than other members on the site. However, these will require a good attitude to be maintained, meaning that you will lose the respective banner if you stop contributing to C&C or the community right after you have received it, if you harass other members, if you scam or if you are just a complete ass-hat to other members.

Instead of signing up to receive the banner like you would to become a moderator, people will be nominated to receive the respective banner by certain members within the community (anyone for community contributor; current holders of the trusted contributor banner, C&C leader, quality control team members and tier leaders for the trusted contributor badge) and these nominations will be discussed by senior members within the community (staff members and moderators for community contributor; staff members, C&C leader and tier leaders for trusted contributor) before being either accepted or rejected.

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
So you're suggesting some sort of competitive dex?

I believe some contributor stats are already being worked on at the moment in relation to our pokedex/wiki project

Also are you suggesting you become the leader of Community Contributions? That's what I picked up on

Blaguard

Apex Predator
Team Elite
Journalist
Credits
Seems like this is just the same service Serebii and Smogon already supply, except we have a much smaller active community to actually work on it. I'm not saying the idea itself is bad, it just seems with the way our community is we should stick to mentoring as our service.

Also, as phenix pointed out this is a forum site, so there's not really a way to search for individual pokemon, as we'd either have a thread for each pokemon, pokemon sorted by tier (so you have to guess right to find a more obscure poke), or a ridiculously long thread with literally everything on it.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
So you're suggesting some sort of competitive dex?

I believe some contributor stats are already being worked on at the moment in relation to our pokedex/wiki project

Also are you suggesting you become the leader of Community Contributions? That's what I picked up on
Not community contributions, dex contributions (contributions and corrections). I said that mainly due to my experience in writing analyses on Smogon (I have 6 analyses and 1 set under my belt at this time), but it is obviously negotiable as I'm not exactly staff or anything ;P

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
Seems like this is just the same service Serebii and Smogon already supply, except we have a much smaller active community to actually work on it. I'm not saying the idea itself is bad, it just seems with the way our community is we should stick to mentoring as our service.

Also, as phenix pointed out this is a forum site, so there's not really a way to search for individual pokemon, as we'd either have a thread for each pokemon, pokemon sorted by tier (so you have to guess right to find a more obscure poke), or a ridiculously long thread with literally everything on it.

THere's a plugin for Wiki projects that is being worked on so that'd solve that issue, It is doable though just like the dex project

@Marigi174 so your idea is to do what smogon does basically right? And we feed all contributions through you? Is that correct

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits

It would work out as, if you are searching for something, you can simply type it into the search bar at the top, tick "search titles only" and "search this forum only" and then select the appropriate tier within the results. Also, the ones that Smogon and Serebii do are suited to their metagames, where Pokemon receive different levels of usage (most notably Blissey and Entei) and there are slightly different banlists (most notably Aegislash). These would be catered to the PP metagame as opposed to the Smogon, Serebii or PO metagames, which is why I see a use for it.

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
Considering how poor the turnout for the mega analysis was, I think we need some kind of incentive if we want full on metagame analysis stuff. It would be interesting though.

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
I'd only be up for this if it had a checks and balance system to ensure that one person disliking a set won't completely kill the whole post. Also, I'm curious...what is your set you came up with?

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
@Marigi174 so your idea is to do what smogon does basically right? And we feed all contributions through you? Is that correct
It is the same system as Smogon, but analyses are catered to the PerfectPokemon.com metagame as opposed to the Smogon metagame. Additionally, contributions aren't just fed through the C&C leader (me or whoever gets it in the end), but rather they go through a thorough process of improvement and moderation (quality control) until they reach a point where they are ready for upload to the dex. The job of C&C leader is to manage analyses as a whole, with a major role in who gets in each QC team, choosing and changing tier leaders, managing analysis reservations, aiding in analysis reassignment etc. as well as playing a part (not complete power) in the distribution of trusted contributer nominations.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Sorry to double post, but a load of stuff appeared all at once XD
I'd only be up for this if it had a checks and balance system to ensure that one person disliking a set won't completely kill the whole post. Also, I'm curious...what is your set you came up with?
The "checks and balance" system that you are talking about is the whole point of the quality control stage. It is where analyses have changes made and it is the reason that 3 stamps are required to move on to the GP stage. As for set, I didn't suggest this because I had a specific set in mind, but rather because I liked the idea of having PP-tailored analyses compiled within a dex. If you meant setup, it is the same WIP-->QC-->GP-->Done system as used on Smogon, just because it is a very efficient system which utilises the public nature of the forums to get as wide a range of ideas as possible, but the sets will generally be the more influential ones in the metagame rather than just niche sets that people have come up with and work in a specific scenario only. It is to create standards for the site that newer players can refer to for the metagame, as well as for the use and adaptation of more experienced players (the main purpose of the paragraphs under each set and other options)
Considering how poor the turnout for the mega analysis was, I think we need some kind of incentive if we want full on metagame analysis stuff. It would be interesting though.
This is why I suggested the trusted contributor banner at the same time as the analyses. It would act as an incentive, giving access to contributor-only forums and being held at a higher standard than other members who lack the banner would. Additionally, the idea of something being official is an incentive within itself, with official things tending to have higher turnouts than unofficial ones.

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
Sorry to double post, but a load of stuff appeared all at once XD

The "checks and balance" system that you are talking about is the whole point of the quality control stage. It is where analyses have changes made and it is the reason that 3 stamps are required to move on to the GP stage. As for set, I didn't suggest this because I had a specific set in mind, but rather because I liked the idea of having PP-tailored analyses compiled within a dex. If you meant setup, it is the same WIP-->QC-->GP-->Done system as used on Smogon, just because it is a very efficient system which utilises the public nature of the forums to get as wide a range of ideas as possible, but the sets will generally be the more influential ones in the metagame rather than just niche sets that people have come up with and work in a specific scenario only. It is to create standards for the site that newer players can refer to for the metagame, as well as for the use and adaptation of more experienced players (the main purpose of the paragraphs under each set and other options)

This is why I suggested the trusted contributor banner at the same time as the analyses. It would act as an incentive, giving access to contributor-only forums and being held at a higher standard than other members who lack the banner would. Additionally, the idea of something being official is an incentive within itself, with official things tending to have higher turnouts than unofficial ones.
It still seems like the quality control people are still under someone else. I meant like a set 5/7 people in charge and each have the same weight in their opinions (not ignored because of a different stance) and by set, I meant the "set you have under your belt" lol

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
It still seems like the quality control people are still under someone else. I meant like a set 5/7 people in charge and each have the same weight in their opinions (not ignored because of a different stance) and by set, I meant the "set you have under your belt" lol
In a hierarchical sense, the quality control team are under their tier leader (who is also a member of the tier's QC team), who is under the C&C leader, but everyone on the site has exactly the same weight of contribution, its just that the QC people and the tier leader have the power to stamp when an analysis meets the standards that they personally feel need to be met, either by doing a single check (making suggestions) and stamping at the bottom of their post (QC 1/3, QC 2/3 or QC 3/3), looking over the analysis and giving it a stamp if they feel it is up to scratch for the metagame at the time or by making comments, keeping making comments until they eventually give a stamp.

Additionally, just because an analysis recieves 3/3 QC checks doesn't mean that changes can't be made - if a new set becomes common and influential in the metagame on a variety of teams, then it will probably get written (examples on Smogon include: Mawile (SubPunch), Talonflame (SD+Natural Gift) and Latios (Dual Screens)) and, due to this dex being thread-based as opposed to SCMS-based (I just used the analysis threads in my example so that the process can be shown. The SmogDex is modified using SCMS when an analysis is completed on Smogon), the sets can be modified into the analysis thread by someone with the ability to edit posts in locked threads, put in the position decided by the QC team of the respective tier (fully written sets are ordered from generally best to generally worst), and every now and again an analysis will need a full revamp due to the metagame and that Pokemon's role within it changing significantly enough for it to be warrented (e.g. if new Pokemon or metagame trends make certain sets generally poor choices or if the uprise/fall of a playstyle or set makes a set lose its niche (e.g. if rain offense were to surge in usage for a prolonged period, that would result in an increase in the number of Water-types and Moltres, which results in an increase in the usage of Electric-types (to deal with the influx of Water-types), Talonflame (to beat Ludicolo (rain abuser), Keldeo (rain abuser) and Mega Venusaur (beats common rain abusers)) and Mega Venusaur (beats Mega Swampert), respectively, resulting in bulky Water-types (notably SpD Gyarados) losing in most situations and suffering from being unable to keep up with the general superiority of offensive Water-types, thus losing their main niche, and thus the Pokemon's main role has changed and the analysis needs fully revamping as a result) #LongExampleFTW. Examples on Smogon include: Weavile, Claydol (currently used to discourage its use due to how bad it is in RU), Hippowdown and Excadrill. Additionally, an analysis may be revamped if sets require different movesets to function well (e.g. when Latios receives revamps it is usually due to different moves gaining or losing viability in the third moveslot of the 'Offensive Defog' set (often happens with Earthquake, gaining and losing listed status depending on how common BalloonTran is when compared to SpD, and thus whether Earthquake has a niche over Surf in the metagame at the time (ATM BalloonTran's usage is similar to that of SpD, so Surf is currently a better option on almost any team))

I'm still kind of confused by what you mean by "set under your belt" (probably just me being dumb XD)

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
In a hierarchical sense, the quality control team are under their tier leader (who is also a member of the tier's QC team), who is under the C&C leader, but everyone on the site has exactly the same weight of contribution, its just that the QC people and the tier leader have the power to stamp when an analysis meets the standards that they personally feel need to be met, either by doing a single check (making suggestions) and stamping at the bottom of their post (QC 1/3, QC 2/3 or QC 3/3), looking over the analysis and giving it a stamp if they feel it is up to scratch for the metagame at the time or by making comments, keeping making comments until they eventually give a stamp.

Additionally, just because an analysis recieves 3/3 QC checks doesn't mean that changes can't be made - if a new set becomes common and influential in the metagame on a variety of teams, then it will probably get written (examples on Smogon include: Mawile (SubPunch), Talonflame (SD+Natural Gift) and Latios (Dual Screens)) and, due to this dex being thread-based as opposed to SCMS-based (I just used the analysis threads in my example so that the process can be shown. The SmogDex is modified using SCMS when an analysis is completed on Smogon), the sets can be modified into the analysis thread by someone with the ability to edit posts in locked threads, put in the position decided by the QC team of the respective tier (fully written sets are ordered from generally best to generally worst), and every now and again an analysis will need a full revamp due to the metagame and that Pokemon's role within it changing significantly enough for it to be warrented (e.g. if new Pokemon or metagame trends make certain sets generally poor choices or if the uprise/fall of a playstyle or set makes a set lose its niche (e.g. if rain offense were to surge in usage for a prolonged period, that would result in an increase in the number of Water-types and Moltres, which results in an increase in the usage of Electric-types (to deal with the influx of Water-types), Talonflame (to beat Ludicolo (rain abuser), Keldeo (rain abuser) and Mega Venusaur (beats common rain abusers)) and Mega Venusaur (beats Mega Swampert), respectively, resulting in bulky Water-types (notably SpD Gyarados) losing in most situations and suffering from being unable to keep up with the general superiority of offensive Water-types, thus losing their main niche, and thus the Pokemon's main role has changed and the analysis needs fully revamping as a result) #LongExampleFTW. Examples on Smogon include: Weavile, Claydol (currently used to discourage its use due to how bad it is in RU), Hippowdown and Excadrill. Additionally, an analysis may be revamped if sets require different movesets to function well (e.g. when Latios receives revamps it is usually due to different moves gaining or losing viability in the third moveslot of the 'Offensive Defog' set (often happens with Earthquake, gaining and losing listed status depending on how common BalloonTran is when compared to SpD, and thus whether Earthquake has a niche over Surf in the metagame at the time (ATM BalloonTran's usage is similar to that of SpD, so Surf is currently a better option on almost any team))

I'm still kind of confused by what you mean by "set under your belt" (probably just me being dumb XD)

Phenix is asking which smogon sets you made if I'm not mistaken

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Phenix is asking which smogon sets you made if I'm not mistaken
oh: i have all my completed and active contributions compiled here. I am taking a break while the VGC'15 season settles down and analyses start for the format (probably in january), and then I will get back into analyses.