• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

ORAS critical capture

Whakamole

Youngster Joey
Credits
Just in case anyone is wondering, it can happen, wish I'd found out against Giritina and not friggin Darmanitan, but there you have it. Also if anyone knows if the rates are the same as in black and white please tell me XD

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
It seems to be the same throughout the games. I'm trying to find the exact formula here, but it's proving to be a bit difficult. From Bulbapedia, I've managed to isolate this though:

The probability of a critical capture occurring depends of the number of Pokémon that have been caught in the Pokédex. First, compute the value of a (the modified catch rate) as shown in the appropriate section above. Then, multiply a by the appropriate multiplier from the table below.

Species Caught -> Multiplier
>600 -> 2.5
451-600 -> 2
301-450 -> 1.5
151-300 -> 1
31-150 -> 0.5
<30 -> 0

Next, generate a random number between 0 and 2047. If this number is less than the product of a and the multiplier, a critical capture will occur. This means that, if the critical catch multiplier is 1, a critical capture has a probability of about ⅛ of the modified catch rate a.

If you were wondering what this "modified catch rate" is, check this out:

Where

• HPmax is the number of hit points the Pokémon has at full health,
  • HPcurrent is the number of hit points the Pokémon has at the moment,
  • Rate is the catch rate of the Pokémon
  • bonusball is the multiplier for the Poké Ball used
  • bonusstatus is the multiplier for any status condition the Pokémon has (2 for sleep and freeze, 1.5 for paralyze, poison, or burn, and 1 otherwise).

So, in conclusion, it stays the same, and I believe it would look something like....:

Catch_formula_1.png

rndNumber = Any number from 0 to 2047
if ((a*SpeciesCaughtMultiplier)>rndNumber) then; {
CriticalCapture = True;
}
else; {
CriticalCapture = False;
}

This is probably like 1000% more in depth than you wanted :p

Whakamole

Youngster Joey
Credits
Haha I understand it to a degree, so basically it's not a simple "a critical capture has a 1 in --- chance of happening" It's affected by outside factors such as the ball being used, the opponents current HP, and how easy it is to catch normally, that kinda thing?

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Haha I understand it to a degree, so basically it's not a simple "a critical capture has a 1 in --- chance of happening" It's affected by outside factors such as the ball being used, the opponents current HP, and how easy it is to catch normally, that kinda thing?
Yeah, here's the full list:
  • A random number
  • How many Pokemon you've caught
  • The catch rate of the Pokemon
  • The max HP of the Pokemon
  • The current HP of the Pokemon
  • The Pokeball used
  • The status condition that the Pokemon has

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
So if I catch a bunch of random pokemon my chances of a critical capture should get a bit higher right?
Pretty much, but I'm not sure if it's amount of Pokemon caught or amount of different Pokemon caught. From what I've seen though, probably what you said.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
That's what I call practical information XD
I love how you only asked a yes or no question but I still gave you every last mathematical detail, albeit completely useless xD

testing