• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Perfect Pokemon Showdown Server!

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
This is just a rough idea at the moment, don't get your hopes up.

I was recently searching about ways of getting our own server, when I came across this link. As you can tell, this is the Showdown files with the methods for installation, port forwarding, etc. If we find a way to host it, we should be able to get it running.

What do you guys think though? I know that a lot of people are opposed to Showdown on this site, but it is a useful tool. Also, I would like to know if anyone has tried this and run into problems.
- Matt_192

pplzdude

Just A Nice Guy
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Credits
There is a youtube video out there made from a bud of mine, Brittlewind (his youtube name iirc) who runs the Frost server which is the second most played on showdown server.

He explains how to make one, what goes into it, etc

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
There is a youtube video out there made from a bud of mine, Brittlewind (his youtube name iirc) who runs the Frost server which is the second most played on showdown server.

He explains how to make one, what goes into it, etc
I'm just looking at ways of changing the tier listings right now, because they will be changed soon. Hopefully, I can edit to fit our site

Stellar

Mr. Steal Your Girl
Trusted Seller
Donor
Credits
Wouldn't mind haven't a showdown server here lol just for testing

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
I remember someone special talking about this a while ago, not sure what you found about it but you might have some interesting info from your search. @Dom :)

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
I remember someone special talking about this a while ago, not sure what you found about it but you might have some interesting info from your search. @Dom :)

It isn't possible, the staff won't allow a private server or something this personalized it needs to have a use for enough people to be created, I tried and I argued for it but, I think the idea is out of the question for now unless there's another way I don't know about

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Right, so I've recently started looking back into this and I've found a way to edit tierlists and create our own ones (although it is a highly complex process).

It isn't possible, the staff won't allow a private server or something this personalized it needs to have a use for enough people to be created, I tried and I argued for it but, I think the idea is out of the question for now unless there's another way I don't know about
As for the privatisation issue... Perhaps we could create a few different metagames to warrant its creation? We already have NFE as an official tier so that gives other players a reason to come and try out our tier system and site.

Cannu

Staff member
Mod
Donor
Journalist
Credits
If the issue is hosting it, I'm sure there's plenty of people (Like myself) who would be willing to contribute to the management of it :D I'll support this all the way xD

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
Right, so I've recently started looking back into this and I've found a way to edit tierlists and create our own ones (although it is a highly complex process).

As for the privatisation issue... Perhaps we could create a few different metagames to warrant its creation? We already have NFE as an official tier so that gives other players a reason to come and try out our tier system and site.

Perhaps an NFE room and tier once it was pitched would be possible but I don't think it would be specifically a PP server, I'm no expert though lol

@CannuJul the issue isn't hosting, it's what they require servers to be

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Perhaps an NFE room and tier once it was pitched would be possible but I don't think it would be specifically a PP server, I'm no expert though lol

@CannuJul the issue isn't hosting, it's what they require servers to be
Not sure Smogon would accept the idea of NFE tbh, although we could try and publish it as MotM.

As for the server, why does it need to be privatised? If the Showdown code is open source, that means anyone can edit it and take it. However, we could just leave it open for anyone to come on.

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
Not sure Smogon would accept the idea of NFE tbh, although we could try and publish it as MotM.

As for the server, why does it need to be privatised? If the Showdown code is open source, that means anyone can edit it and take it. However, we could just leave it open for anyone to come on.

As far as I'm aware they began rejecting all servers that did not offer something to the community or that were solely for specific groups, again maybe it changed since then it's something that I would have to look into but from what i've made of it a whole server for our site is too privatized.

Privatized in the sense that it's a gated off community and although it would be an open server, it would still be too local to just our site to benefit PS as a whole

That's just my look on it, I'd be happy to reread the rules, maybe @pplzdude knows more about this since he was/is a mod on PS iirc

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
As far as I'm aware they began rejecting all servers that did not offer something to the community or that were solely for specific groups, again maybe it changed since then it's something that I would have to look into but from what i've made of it a whole server for our site is too privatized.

Privatized in the sense that it's a gated off community and although it would be an open server, it would still be too local to just our site to benefit PS as a whole

That's just my look on it, I'd be happy to reread the rules, maybe @pplzdude knows more about this since he was/is a mod on PS iirc
From my knowledge, open source = anyone can take it and edit it for their own use.

I'm in the help room on Showdown right now - I'll go and ask a moderator.

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
From my knowledge, open source = anyone can take it and edit it for their own use.

I'm in the help room on Showdown right now - I'll go and ask a moderator.

That is what open source means, After rereading some stuff I believe anyone can host a server but you can not have it registered unless it goes through a submission process

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
That is what open source means, After rereading some stuff I believe anyone can host a server but you can not have it registered unless it goes through a submission process
PerfectPKMNMatt192: Hello, just a quick question about creating servers :) Someone informed me that server creation is only allowed if they benefit the community in some way - is this true or can anyone freely make their own server?
%QuoteCS: I'm pretty sure anyone can make a server as long as they know how to do it.
PerfectPKMNMatt192: Sounds good. Also, are we allowed to edit the tier listings? (I've looked through the code and it seems simple enough) Our community has a slightly different banlist.
%QuoteCS: Well once you have your own server you can make your own tiers, yeah.

#winning

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
PerfectPKMNMatt192: Hello, just a quick question about creating servers :) Someone informed me that server creation is only allowed if they benefit the community in some way - is this true or can anyone freely make their own server?
%QuoteCS: I'm pretty sure anyone can make a server as long as they know how to do it.
PerfectPKMNMatt192: Sounds good. Also, are we allowed to edit the tier listings? (I've looked through the code and it seems simple enough) Our community has a slightly different banlist.
%QuoteCS: Well once you have your own server you can make your own tiers, yeah.

#winning

I mean it depends if you want an official registered server that actually shows up on the server list

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I mean it depends if you want an official registered server that actually shows up on the server list
Do we really need that though? If we keep it private for our own community, I don't see too much of an issue.

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
Do we really need that though? If we keep it private for our own community, I don't see too much of an issue.

I don't think publicising it is necessary.

As a means of battling internally no, When it was discussed ages ago, it was brought up as a means of recruitment and in that case it would benefit us tremendously

But for starters it's fine private and unregistered yeah, I don't see why not

I was just mixing up the two times the idea was suggested, my bad

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
As a means of battling internally no, When it was discussed ages ago, it was brought up as a means of recruitment and in that case it would benefit us tremendously

But for starters it's fine private and unregistered yeah, I don't see why not

I was just mixing up the two times the idea was suggested, my bad
Sounds good, I feel that if we get the server going first, we can judge publicizing it before we do so.

If anyone wishes to help out with the creation of this, feel free to PM me and I'll get a conversation going :)

testing