• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active PO Server

y/n?

• Total voters

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Seeing as we are having difficulty getting a PS! server, we could try to get a Pokemon Online server. Thoughts? It has a slightly different setup to PS!, but they are far looser about the rules for creating servers, and it would mean that we could have an official PP server.

https://github.com/po-devs/pokemon-online/wiki/Running-a-PO-Server

This would also enable us to have a ladder so that we can get rankings of the players on the site beyond simple positions like champion and gym leader etc. to get a full ladder with rankings and stuff.

Thoughts?

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
If we can get funding, this is something I'd love to see. We've all wanted a Showdown server for a while, but since we can't host it, that's kind of dead in the water. PO is pretty similar to PS, and there's a lot of things that I prefer about it.

Fully supported :) (at least, until we find a problem...)

kopy456

The Reversed Fighter
Credits
If we can get funding, this is something I'd love to see. We've all wanted a Showdown server for a while, but since we can't host it, that's kind of dead in the water. PO is pretty similar to PS, and there's a lot of things that I prefer about it.

Fully supported :) (at least, until we find a problem...)
I agree, it will give us an opportunities to test teams on our own server, we could possibly embed it into a page so we wouldn't need a new page. I never thought about PO, good thinking!

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I agree, it will give us an opportunities to test teams on our own server, we could possibly embed it into a page so we wouldn't need a new page. I never thought about PO, good thinking!
Embed it into a page? Nah... PO isn't a web based client (I don't believe at least), instead, a downloadable program.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
(at least, until we find a problem...)
lol

response to full post: both have advantages over each other tbh. I like how PS is easier to use and understand what is going on due to the animations, as well as having a simple way of changing pokemon in the teambuilder (no switch species button), but PO is faster overall and has a overall better design to its teambuilder (if you ignore that silly button)

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
Seeing as we are having difficulty getting a PS! server, we could try to get a Pokemon Online server. Thoughts? It has a slightly different setup to PS!, but they are far looser about the rules for creating servers, and it would mean that we could have an official PP server.

https://github.com/po-devs/pokemon-online/wiki/Running-a-PO-Server

This would also enable us to have a ladder so that we can get rankings of the players on the site beyond simple positions like champion and gym leader etc. to get a full ladder with rankings and stuff.

Thoughts?

I like the idea, I haven't ever tried PO but I know of it

DO you just need to port forward to host a server? Also What funding would we need? How much is it?

Sorry if the details are there I just can't read over all of that atm a bit busy

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I like the idea, I haven't ever tried PO but I know of it

DO you just need to port forward to host a server? Also What funding would we need? How much is it?

Sorry if the details are there I just can't read over all of that atm a bit busy
There's a tutorial on how to make it here. It seems like you do have to port forward, but as for funding, I'm not sure.

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
There's a tutorial on how to make it here. It seems like you do have to port forward, but as for funding, I'm not sure.

I looked over the tutorial, I don't see the funding part which is why it confused me when you mentioned funding lol

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
I'm going to disagree, and be in strong disapproval, and I believe Doulie would agree as well. This is a WIFI community. We have a big buy/sell community, and supportin servers for simulators contradicts what the site does. We are pushing members away from buying pokemon to do Tournies and play on wifi, and instead show them a simulator. Why would we want to approve of something that will directly hinder the site economy? If you want to practice, ask others to help on showdown. But the only reason we would ever need our own group, would be to promote external battling sources, which as a wifi site we should disapprove of :)

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I'm going to disagree, and be in strong disapproval, and I believe Doulie would agree as well. This is a WIFI community. We have a big buy/sell community, and supportin servers for simulators contradicts what the site does. We are pushing members away from buying pokemon to do Tournies and play on wifi, and instead show them a simulator. Why would we want to approve of something that will directly hinder the site economy? If you want to practice, ask others to help on showdown. But the only reason we would ever need our own group, would be to promote external battling sources, which as a wifi site we should disapprove of :)
I believe the PO server came out of the idea that we could have one collective server for discussing team building and competitive Pokemon in general, as it also helps to keep the shoutbox less clogged up, in a sense. I also feel that simulators are a great place to team build, so the freedom of having a server to do it on means that you don't have to breed something just to test it. Also, our own server means that we can talk between ourselves without using a public lobby.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
I believe the PO server came out of the idea that we could have one collective server for discussing team building and competitive Pokemon in general, as it also helps to keep the shoutbox less clogged up, in a sense. I also feel that simulators are a great place to team build, so the freedom of having a server to do it on means that you don't have to breed something just to test it. Also, our own server means that we can talk between ourselves without using a public lobby.
That's what the shoutbox is FOR. We aren't cluttering it, we are just using it th way it was meant to be used. We had a COMPETITVE section on the site, and we can get teambuilding help on showdown if we feel the need, it seems like we are trying to fix a problem by moving te problem somewhere else. I get where you are getting at, but it seems to be a waste of site time to try to do this. If we need to do teambuilding and COMPETITVE discussion, then we should make a thread for people to try using the forums more, which is a grea idea. Moving site focus to other platforms is a bad idea right now imo.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
That's what the shoutbox is FOR. We aren't cluttering it, we are just using it th way it was meant to be used. We had a COMPETITVE section on the site, and we can get teambuilding help on showdown if we feel the need, it seems like we are trying to fix a problem by moving te problem somewhere else. I get where you are getting at, but it seems to be a waste of site time to try to do this. If we need to do teambuilding and COMPETITVE discussion, then we should make a thread for people to try using the forums more, which is a grea idea. Moving site focus to other platforms is a bad idea right now imo.
Threads aren't exactly a great way to get info. Sure, they're nice, but if you're looking for advice quickly, something like our own server or the shoutbox is much better. However, I see your point about making people more active in the forums, and I get that. But you still fail to tackle my other point:
I also feel that simulators are a great place to team build, so the freedom of having a server to do it on means that you don't have to breed something just to test it.
Sure, this can also be done on Showdown, but then the argument just moves from having a PO server to having a PS server, however, we've already looked into that. You and I both know that the shoutbox is used for competitive discussion, but a lot of the time it's either people posting random gifs or just talking to one another.

Also seriously, if you're going to capitalize words to make them stand out, at least spell them correctly, lol.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Also seriously, if you're going to capitalize words to make them stand out, at least spell them correctly, lol.
It's something wonky my auto correct has been doing recently, sorry. I didn't mean to capitalize any of those words :p

But tbh, I love the idea of having a server. But in Doulie's eyes, or the eyes of the site's well being, promoting external sources is not the best thing to do atm. It hurts what the site was made to follow, the site has sections to do competitive battling, and I feel like if this is trying to reach that issue, we should try promoting the site forums first, I love the idea and wan to support it, but it's tough when you put everything into perspective :)

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
It's something wonky my auto correct has been doing recently, sorry. I didn't mean to capitalize any of those words :p

Ah k, but it's still 'competitive' :p

But tbh, I love the idea of having a server. But in Doulie's eyes, or the eyes of the site's well being, promoting external sources is not the best thing to do atm. It hurts what the site was made to follow, the site has sections to do competitive battling, and I feel like if this is trying to reach that issue, we should try promoting the site forums first, I love the idea and want* to support it, but it's tough when you put everything into perspective :)

Yeah, I get that. However, I just feel that having our own server is better for engaging battles if you're still testing teams. Sure, it would probably better to ask for information in the shoutbox and the like, but it's not as if PP has a simulator built into it. To summarise, our own server, either PO or PS, would help people to test their teams out against people of the community without, say, people doing '/user jiggly101' in the Showdown chat whenever they want to find you.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Yeah, I get that. However, I just feel that having our own server is better for engaging battles if you're still testing teams. Sure, it would probably better to ask for information in the shoutbox and the like, but it's not as if PP has a simulator built into it. To summarise, our own server, either PO or PS, would help people to test their teams out against people of the community without, say, people doing '/user jiggly101' in the Showdown chat whenever they want to find you.
In addition, it would allow us to have a ranking system, which has been previously suggested and rejected for practical reasons, but this would fix those practicality issues and we could have a system where we can get a gauge on how good different members of the community are.

PunSniperSylveon

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
I'd say no. PS already has a robust database in place that extracts valuable usage statistics from users and feeds the information through a variety of outlets. Why reinvent the wheel? At this time our community pales in size to the number of users and collaborators PS has at the moment to compete for users to extract data off of them.

If ranking is concern for our members here at PP, there are two decent ranking systems in place. One through the PS battle ladder for a variety of tiers and battle formats, and the PGL's Seasonal Rating Battle Ranks. It would fall on us to independently report on our ranks.

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
I'd say no. PS already has a robust database in place that extracts valuable usage statistics from users and feeds the information through a variety of outlets. Why reinvent the wheel? At this time our community pales in size to the number of users and collaborators PS has at the moment to compete for users to extract data off of them.

He's suggesting we make our own PO server as opposed to making a PS server because we are unable to do the latter

I'm not sure what you're saying though, are you suggesting a PS server?

PunSniperSylveon

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
He's suggesting we make our own PO server as opposed to making a PS server because we are unable to do the latter

I'm not sure what you're saying though, are you suggesting a PS server?
I misinterpreted the OP. Originally I thought he was suggesting building a server from the ground up with our own tier sets. But I was thinking longer term in terms of how we would handle the data produced from a PO server if we can even get at it to give us advice on what to ban for a particular tier.

Though I would still say no to a PO server. Rankings and tiering sounds great, but personally I spend much more time on Wi-Fi in the R. Rating Battles than on PS really.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
I don't understand, first you say it's for team battling and competitive discussion, and now it's for ranking? Isn't ranked matches on a simulator ENCOURAGING the use of simulators, which is bad for the site?