• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Pokemon Battle Association, Revamped!

Tuatara3003

Youngster Joey
Credits
1. Introduction (Useful links)

This is a re-imagining of the tournament proposal created earlier in the year by Dom: (http://perfectpokemon.com/threads/gba-style-draft-schedule-tournament.2724/)

which was itself based on the Global Battle Association (GBA), an American sports league style draft tournament created by the Poketuber, M4gni2de. Currently approaching the playoffs of its 2nd season, those interested in finding out more about the GBA and how it works will find the Wordpress a great place to start:
where current standings, Pokemon MVP watch and links to Youtube videos of the battles can all be found.

2. The Draft

Welcome to the PBA! In essence, the association is intended to be everything you are familiar with in a Pokemon singles tournament. With one major difference- you may be parted with your old, familiar pokemon...

At the heart of this tournament will be a draft; of all known Pokemon species, barring those listed as Uber by the Smogon tier system. The draft will work in serpentine order (1-2-3-4-5, 5-4-3-2-1) , meaning having a high pick in the first round will be balanced out by having a low one in the next round of drafting. One by one, each team owner will get to choose the next member of their team from the Pokemon still on the board. But you will have to make your choice wisely; every great Pokemon you pass over likely won't be there once your next pick comes around! Right now, I am aiming for 10 regular rounds, and one special round to draft Megas, though this is subject to change depending on the number of owners.

The draft adds a strategic element to choosing your team, but also forces each player away from the OU pokemon that dominate casual battling; there simply isn't enough OU pokemon to fill each team! You will have to choose your "franchise" Pokemon carefully, and then find just the right complementary pieces from the UU tiers and below to put yourself in the best position to win.

To make things even more interesting, each player's team can still be changed after the draft in one of two ways Free Agency or Trade.

3. Free Agency and Trade

The Free Agent pool will include every Pokemon that was not picked up during the initial draft. In between rounds, any player is free to exchange one of their underperforming Pokemon for any Pokemon in the Free Agent pool, by notifying the league organiser through PM. However, any Pokemon dropped by their team in this way will be added to the Free Agent Pool, and can be picked up by any other player.

Any two (or more) teams can organise a Trade of their Pokemon; which works in much the same way as in game trading- you swap the right to use one Pokemon for the right to use another. Any Pokemon can be traded, but the league organiser will have the power to veto a trade if it clearly favours one player over the other (No one will be trading Tyranitar for Magikarp for instance). In order for a Trade to pass successfully, both players will have to individually contact me, and both confirm that they are happy with its terms.

4. In-battle Rules

The PBA will follow the clauses listed below:

1. Sleep Clause- Only one Pokemon is allowed to be intentionally put to sleep (by moves such as "Sleep Powder" or "Spore" ) at a time. If your opponent puts their own Pokemon to sleep by using "Rest", Sleep Clause does not apply and you are free to put a different Pokemon to sleep.

2. Species Clause- All 6 Pokemon you choose to bring to battle must have different Pokedex numbers.

3. Evasion Clause - The moves "Double-team", "Minimize" and "Acupressure", which raise your evasion cannot be used in a battle. This is to keep the luck based element of battles as low as possible.

4. OHKO Clause- Instant knock-out moves ( Sheer Cold, Fissure etc ) cannot be used in a battle

5. Over Hack Clause- Movesets on each Pokemon brought to battle must be legal.

6. Hax Clause:- Luck based items such as Quick Claw or Focus Band cannot be used in battle.

All PBA battles will be played on the simulator, Pokemon Showdown. This is to ensure all team owners actually have access to the Pokemon they draft, while the replay feature will make results much easier to adjudicate. As a side-note, the GBA has proven that a really big part of doing well in this format is preparing specifically for your opponent's Pokemon, battle by battle. This means adjusting EVs and Natures of your team each time, which is much less time consuming on Showdown than on Wi-fi.

5. How do I sign-up?

If you feel like you belong in the PBA, please fill out the form below (either by PMing me or replying to this thread) and I will add you to the registered team owner's list. Applications should be limited to those who are able to battle regularly, and who can commit to their team, regardless of whether they win or lose.

Pokemon Showdown Username:
PBA Team Name: (if stuck you can find some ideas from the GBA teams, which can be reached from the Wordpress at the top of the page).
Time Zone: (so I can choose a draft time that suits everybody)

I am aiming for a tournament of 8-12 teams, but we will see how much interest this generates

Registered Teams:

Wellington Braviary
Owner:Tuatara30

Last edited:

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist