• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Pokemon X Nuzlocke - Optional Rules Question

Nonny

Pokémon Champion
Journalist
Credits
Hey, guys!

I've started a Pokemon X Nuzlocke challenge, and I want to make sure the difficulty is tough but balanced for me. So these are the rules I'm following:

- Any poke on my team who faints, dies. In other words, I have to release it or permanently box it. (I'll be boxing them for recording purposes.)

- I can only catch the first poke I encounter in any location. If I fail to capture it, too bad. [Dupe clause: I can ignore ONE encounter per route if I already own a poke in that encounter's evolutionary line.]

- Battle style is SET. The default style is SWITCH, where whenever I defeat an opponent's Pokemon, the game will tell me what poke they'll be sending out next and let me switch along with the opponent. That option no longer appears.

- No Exp. Share, no Super Training, and no Day Care.

Here's the optional rule I haven't set yet.

Pokemon Amie is allowed, but to reflect that it takes time to form bonds with my pokes, I can't just max out my hearts right away. To start with, I cannot use Pokemon Amie with any pokes at all.

- I get one heart for a certain Pokemon whenever I have spent ten levels with it. (For example, if I catch a Level 8 Psyduck, I can increase its affection by one heart when it reaches Level 18, another at Level 28, etc.)

- I get one heart for a certain Pokemon whenever it actively participates in a gym battle (assuming it doesn't die).

- The fifth (final) heart counts as two hearts. In other words, if I have a Pokemon with 4 affection hearts who "earns" one more heart, I cannot bring it to five affection hearts until it "earns" another one.

What do you guys think? Should I increase the number of levels it takes to go up a heart? Should I do away with the levels? Should I put in a different "heart get" condition (e.g., the poke evolves or helps me complete certain plot battles)?

[NOTE: I have already started, but I haven't reached the first gym yet. According to my current Pokemon Amie rule, none of my pokes are eligible to obtain any hearts yet.]

testing