• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Pokemon You Didn't Expect To Like Competitively?

leanbean132006

Youngster Joey
Credits
Hey guys, since I'm new I thought I'd post a thread here to get myself a bit active and maybe get some discussion going. If this is the wrong place to post let me know and I'll try to do better next time, haha. I enjoy talking competitive Pokemon quite a bit and don't have many friends who enjoy it nearly as much as me so what a good place to post at.

This has always been an interesting topic for me. What, when you first saw it or first joined competitive play, is a Pokemon that you thought for sure that you wouldn't like, but actually really enjoy playing with it?

For me, it would definitely be Mega Lopunny. When I first saw it, I thought for sure it would be one of the weaker new megas introduced, since regular Lopunny isn't great other than for some trolly Klutz sets (which aren't very good either). I figured Mega Lopunny would suffer for that, but I was very wrong. I've run both sets of Fake Out/Return/High Jump Kick/Ice Punch and Substitute/Encore/Drain Punch/Return and have thoroughly enjoyed using both, and it's my main offensive presence on my current main team.

So how about you guys?

anthony o.

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
i totally agree! Lopunny seemed like those pokemon they just made to fill up space in the dex, but it was super useful in battles.
I also think eelektross would just be another electric pokemon, but after i learned about its ability, i used it in my oras team!

DannySteeden

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Heliolisk, thought he'd be just a cute little electric dinosaur but on my rain team he's such an underrated threat and I love that I can use my favourite Pokemon competitively :D

Chewiecashew

Youngster Joey
Credits
For me it was gastrodon and quagsire. They seemed like the in-game- walking though-marshes-in-dppt kind of Pokemon, but once their dream world abilities storm drain and unaware were released in gen 5 they became pretty viable as bulky waters who just scalded, recovered, and ignored water attacks/stat boosts.

Mewtwo

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Mine was Azumarill because I did not look at he ability and now Azumarill is 1 of my favorite Pokemon and is in my OU Team

testing