• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active PP Newsletter Remastered? (Suggestion)

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
So I'm not really sure what happened to the PP newsletter which was a weekly email sent out to users with a few articles some shops mentioned, etc.

It seemed overwhelming to have a weekly newsletter and with all the new mods being assigned to news I figured it would be easier since we have users designated to that area of the site so reviving the idea would be a possibility. However, I thought it would be more user friendly to have it spaced out perhaps Monthly or every other week, Perhaps every other week in between tournaments?

Anyway I thought it'd be cool in a magazine format with corresponding art covers to go with each print, this "magazine" could recycle features like the shop shoutouts and also utilize a section for say the winner of the previous official tournament to write small piece giving tips for success, maybe feature youtube videos once those start going out, competitive advice, news updates, upcoming site events, etc.

It isn't an all original idea but I think it'd be a fun communal project to work on especially now that we have the extra help, we could also use one two or more artists who would be willing to design covers and perhaps give each issue a theme or common grounds for every article or piece.

Just something I thought would be fun, if anyone likes the idea or dislikes the idea feel free to let me know below, Constructive Criticism is always welcome

@doulie @KitaVonKanada

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I was actually thinking about this myself not too long ago and I strongly believe the newsletter is a good idea. I like how the last time I brought this up you said it was too closely related to the Smog and we shouldn't do it, but w/e.

As well as getting out site news, newsletters and online magazines are a great way to publish guides and little notices about different tiers and metas, etc. Other metas that don't see much notice (LC, for example) would be able to have articles written about them and published. I'm probably getting far ahead of myself, but I see this idea going a lot further than just a simple, short update email.

If this idea does go forward, I'd definitely like to put my name down to write articles on things :Thumbsup:

Miles8088

Top Kek Champion
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
So I'm not really sure what happened to the PP newsletter which was a weekly email sent out to users with a few articles some shops mentioned, etc.

It seemed overwhelming to have a weekly newsletter and with all the new mods being assigned to news I figured it would be easier since we have users designated to that area of the site so reviving the idea would be a possibility. However, I thought it would be more user friendly to have it spaced out perhaps Monthly or every other week, Perhaps every other week in between tournaments?

Anyway I thought it'd be cool in a magazine format with corresponding art covers to go with each print, this "magazine" could recycle features like the shop shoutouts and also utilize a section for say the winner of the previous official tournament to write small piece giving tips for success, maybe feature youtube videos once those start going out, competitive advice, news updates, upcoming site events, etc.

It isn't an all original idea but I think it'd be a fun communal project to work on especially now that we have the extra help, we could also use one two or more artists who would be willing to design covers and perhaps give each issue a theme or common grounds for every article or piece.

Just something I thought would be fun, if anyone likes the idea or dislikes the idea feel free to let me know below, Constructive Criticism is always welcome

@doulie @KitaVonKanada
We were actually talking about the newsletter a little bit in the news mods group chat. Right now we are in the process of coming up with roles for each member as far as gathering information and producing an article of some sort on a most likely weekly bases. We were trying to come up with ways to make more accesible and this sounds like a good idea to me. I was thinking we need to get it on the front page somehow so users wouldn't have to go out of their way to read it. You said in between tourneys so I guess there's a possibility of the banner slot where the tourneys are advertised being used or another one being created if that's not too difficult. We were thinking about releasing the different categories of news on different days that made sense for each thing but combining them all into sections of a newsletter could be a good idea as well. We are still in the early stages. I'd be interested to hear what the others in the group think about this as well as anyone else. :)

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
We were actually talking about the newsletter a little bit in the news mods group chat. Right now we are in the process of coming up with roles for each member as far as gathering information and producing an article of some sort on a most likely weekly bases. We were trying to come up with ways to make more accesible and this sounds like a good idea to me. I was thinking we need to get it on the front page somehow so users wouldn't have to go out of their way to read it. You said in between tourneys so I guess there's a possibility of the banner slot where the tourneys are advertised being used or another one being created if that's not too difficult. We were thinking about releasing the different categories of news on different days that made sense for each thing but combining them all into sections of a newsletter could be a good idea as well. We are still in the early stages. I'd be interested to hear what the others in the group think about this as well as anyone else. :)
What else have you guys been talking about? It's probably very relevant here lol. Anyways, I think that a number of people in the community may also want to contribute, so if this plan was to go under way, maybe we could have a signup thread for article contributors and writers?

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits

It doesn't necessarily have to be official or related to the newsletter, it can be user ran and submitted, This wouldn't have to include news people specifically that was just sort of a thought, I wasn't aware of the newsletter coming back.

Anyway this could always be more community based user ran with different pieces from different users who want to volunteer but aren't mods chosen for the news part of the site.

It would have revolving authors and artists to keep it fresh

Miles8088

Top Kek Champion
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
It doesn't necessarily have to be official or related to the newsletter, it can be user ran and submitted, This wouldn't have to include news people specifically that was just sort of a thought, I wasn't aware of the newsletter coming back.

Anyway this could always be more community based user ran with different pieces from different users who want to volunteer but aren't mods chosen for the news part of the site.

It would have revolving authors and artists to keep it fresh
I like the ideas of keeping it fresh but imo it seems to conflict with the base of what the news mods are trying to do as far as interest. For example most people aren't going to read a lot of different news sources on this site but just the biggest/official one. I like the idea of users writing things but I think we could combine our interests here for the best outcome. Originally it sounded like the news people would just collect all the info and write everything. We could always do an official newsletter type thing and the news mods assigned to certain departmenrs are in charge of getting their sections finished and ready to be released. They can ask users who have the correct knowledge base for the task to write things for their section or accept volunteer writers for the same thing. Then we could have one big source for any user to get their information no matter what they are looking for. Thoughts?

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
I like the ideas of keeping it fresh but imo it seems to conflict with the base of what the news mods are trying to do as far as interest. For example most people aren't going to read a lot of different news sources on this site but just the biggest/official one. I like the idea of users writing things but I think we could combine our interests here for the best outcome. Originally it sounded like the news people would just collect all the info and write everything. We could always do an official newsletter type thing and the news mods assigned to certain departmenrs are in charge of getting their sections finished and ready to be released. They can ask users who have the correct knowledge base for the task to write things for their section or accept volunteer writers for the same thing. Then we could have one big source for any user to get their information no matter what they are looking for. Thoughts?

Well there's a difference between news and reporting information and articles for entertainment and advice basically

If you could help me understand what you guys are doing that'd be ideal, are you solely reporting news as in information, anouncements, etc or are you doing say battle strategy articles and maybe a Q and A piece, seller guides, etc

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I second this.

I've debated the idea for the past few days and this seems like the most efficient way of running things. If we have news mods, we may as well use them for what they're doing lol. I also second the news mods appointing writers for competitive sections and guides as this way we can at least get dedicated writers instead of relying on contributions from the community out of charity.

Miles8088

Top Kek Champion
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
Well there's a difference between news and reporting information and articles for entertainment and advice basically

If you could help me understand what you guys are doing that'd be ideal, are you solely reporting news as in information, anouncements, etc or are you doing say battle strategy articles and maybe a Q and A piece, seller guides, etc
Tbh my understanding is we are trying to cover everything we can. I know we are definitely covering competitive and we arent only reporting news but also doing things of the same nature as the things you listed. We are still filling out roles as we are in the early stages but imo they crossover too much to have separate entities. I would think that what I said above would make it possible to incorporate all the ideas and actually become more efficient while still giving the community to participate just as much. We have 5 mods for news and along with volunteers we could cover all this ground.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Tbh my understanding is we are trying to cover everything we can. I know we are definitely covering competitive and we arent only reporting news but also doing things of the same nature as the things you listed. We are still filling out roles as we are in the early stages but imo they crossover too much to have separate entities. I would think that what I said above would make it possible to incorporate all the ideas and actually become more efficient while still giving the community to participate just as much. We have 5 mods for news and along with volunteers we could cover all this ground.
I think before we release the first version of the new newsletter, we should probably check its length... From what I'm hearing so far, and if the articles are indepth enough, I feel that an email may not be appropriate for the amount of content we may put in. Anyone got any ideas on an alternate way of uploading the letter? Maybe a specific section of the site designed for current and past newsletters?

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
I think before we release the first version of the new newsletter, we should probably check its length... From what I'm hearing so far, and if the articles are indepth enough, I feel that an email may not be appropriate for the amount of content we may put in. Anyone got any ideas on an alternate way of uploading the letter? Maybe a specific section of the site designed for current and past newsletters?

An archive I was thinking as well as the emails and even a banner not custom from issue to issue but a default banner in between tournaments to link people to the newsletter archive subforum or something like that? Just a thought

Anyway I didn't realize this was in the works so I might just release my own entries some sort of blog-ish type of journals for users if the official newsletter is coming back, I don't want to compete with it lol

Miles8088

Top Kek Champion
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
An archive I was thinking as well as the emails and even a banner not custom from issue to issue but a default banner in between tournaments to link people to the newsletter archive subforum or something like that? Just a thought

Anyway I didn't realize this was in the works so I might just release my own entries some sort of blog-ish type of journals for users if the official newsletter is coming back, I don't want to compete with it lol
Yeah I agree. I was thinking a locked sub forum where the only threads are each weeks(or every other week) edition of the newsletter. Each edition can reserve a post in the newsletter thead and have all of their articles they have written and collected in their department in their post. (Each news mod would be an editor basically). After we post the entire newsletter we can open it up to the public for comments and answer their questions. Cheza can start/open/close all the threads bc she is in charge of our group. Do you think this could work?

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Yeah I agree. I was thinking a locked sub forum where the only threads are each weeks(or every other week) edition of the newsletter. Each edition can reserve a post in the newsletter thead and have all of their articles they have written and collected in their department in their post. (Each news mod would be an editor basically). After we post the entire newsletter we can open it up to the public for comments and answer their questions. Cheza can start/open/close all the threads bc she is in charge of our group. Do you think this could work?
Would a sub-forum really be the best way to go about this though? Tbh, I don't think so.

I think the idea of having separated posts in a sub-forum for individual articles is decent, but the Smog have kinda done it the best by not putting it in the forums at all. (go check it out, I can't really explain it better than you can view it).

Miles8088

Top Kek Champion
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
Would a sub-forum really be the best way to go about this though? Tbh, I don't think so.

I think the idea of having separated posts in a sub-forum for individual articles is decent, but the Smog have kinda done it the best by not putting it in the forums at all. (go check it out, I can't really explain it better than you can view it).
I think it would be a decent way to start off. I mean at this point with other projects needing to be finished would we be able to get everything together to do something like that? Plus im not saying we have to use my original idea but if we do it or some other idea different from the smog we can not only separate ourselves but also give people a reason to use our threads more often. Smogon already has super active forums