• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Closed Stop arguing, you nimrods. This thread is through.

Should we raise minimum pricing on custom pokemon?

• Total voters
K

Krelbit

EDIT1: For you people who say no, can you please state your reasoning in the comments? I'd really like to hear your sides to the issue.

TLDR: Read (second to) last paragraph.

In my opinion, and the opinions of many others, 20 PC is beginning to get a little too short for a minimum selling price of custom pokemon. [THIS DOES NOT PERTAIN TO ITEMS OR POWERSAVE SERVICES.]

Sellers are beginning to come to this site with the mentality of a weak PC economy. They set up their stores and ditch when they realize their low prices are making them absolutely nothing. However, they may have one customer or two in the meantime before they shut down. Some manage to stay afloat, still not making very much for the site or themselves.

That customer is important. Customers are starting to come to this site and while that's good, they all expect to be able to get what they want for a low, low, 20PC. And so they'll continue to come back, with the assumption that they can basically grab an entire box of custom pokemon, which someone has spent a considerable amount of time preparing, for a meager $5. Other sellers, such as myself, do not want to change our prices, can you see how customers wanting lower prices would affect our stores and shops? I'm sure these 20PC sellers would not like to change their prices either. However, you only see one group being more detrimental to the site than the other and I think it's about time to punch the problem straight in the nose.

This is an issue that I, along with many sellers, and not even particularly sellers, have watched grow and tumorize until the economy (yes, there's an economy here.) plagued (and continues to plague) itself over.

I suggest a raise in the minimum selling price, at least for pokemon. Altering the price 30-50PC up, maybe even 70 PC if need be, may constitute an understanding with the customer that you can't just come in, spam forums when you need to, then nab 20pc, get your order, and leave.

It's detrimental to the image of (most) sellers when we talk about these issues, because the customer is always right, right? I say no. The seller is right to an extent as well, and the fact is, we don't want to make less PC. We don't want less money. That's not selfishness, it's common freakin' sense. You wouldn't run up to a supermarket and ask them to lower their prices, right? And in that lies a conflict. You'd probably ask me, "aren't you asking for the same thing, basically?" I am, but in the sense that I'm part of the economy here, and I kind of like my economy stable, I believe I should be able to voice my opinion.

Many newer sellers believe that making their prices low will attract more customers, and that will even out the situation. What they don't know is that their stores start swamping up with business, and they cannot handle it all, or when they do handle it all, it's severely not worth their time.

Many newer sellers also believe that since making pokemon comes free, why can't they trade them off at such a low profit? Well, that's because PC is actually worth money.

1200 PC can be exchanged for $8USD. That's 150PC for 1 dollar on the way out. Considering a pokemon takes about 3 minutes to fully create, and 20 pokemon (1 hour) at 20pc each costing 400pc, the seller makes $2.67 for all of their work in one hour. Worth? I don't know. Some of you can't get jobs, sure. It's still not right for you to be spending all your time making pokemon. Your time is valuable. It's worth SOMETHING, and definetely not $2.67 an hour.

Now some sellers don't care about all of this. They like the gratification of trading, the fun that comes with making someone happy. Now, don't take this rudely, but... Isn't there a better place for you to do that?
Trading forums and sites exist all over the web, like Reddit's PokemonPlaza specializes in the trade of hacked pokemon, or gamefaqs and pokemonshowdown have dedicated sections of their sites for trade.

PC sales additionally pay for website improvements and server costs. You like this site? I do too.

What this would mean for buyers? They would obviously have to pay more, but with the prices at their current standing, they're already paying so little. A large crowd of our buyers are with the 20PC crowd, so removing them would help clear up our forums of quasi-useless posting for PC.

FOR TLDR, READ HERE
Back to the topic at hand here. I plead that custom pokemon, (not powersave services, not items, not terrible out-of the lines commission bulbasaur art, not even regular pokemon) should be raised in pricing, on account of being detrimental to the economy and the attitude of our new members. I recommend a 30, 50 or even 70PC change to help not only stabilize the economy but keeping the site running for longer.

Any suggestions or opinions can be stated below, I'm open to see what you think of this. I will try to answer concerns with as much bias as possible, to try and help you understand the situation I and many sellers are in.

Mods n staff, I'd like to hear your opinions above all else.

@doulie, @KitaVonKanada, @Dom, @Matt_192, @Unproxied, @Niqyue, @x0rqasmatr0n, @Cheza, @pplzdude

Cheers,
Krelbit.

Last edited by a moderator:

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
Thanks for the suggestion Krelbit.

As you might know, the minimum sell price has been a long argued debate, but it's great to see thought out suggestions and pleas. :D

Combustiblelimes

Pokémon Champion
Credits
I might be alone on this one, but I think the minimum on Pokemon should be a lot higher. Somewhere in the 100 range. It's attainable, but you need to stay for a bit to make up that kind of money. Unfortunatley, it can go either way. It might drive people away from the site, or it encourages people to stay to save up the PC, giving them a chance to see what a nice place this site is. It's enough to still make money though. Thoughts?

K

Krelbit

I might be alone on this one, but I think the minimum on Pokemon should be a lot higher. Somewhere in the 100 range. It's attainable, but you need to stay for a bit to make up that kind of money. Unfortunatley, it can go either way. It might drive people away from the site, or it encourages people to stay to save up the PC, giving them a chance to see what a nice place this site is. It's enough to still make money though. Thoughts?

I suggested a +30, +50, or +70 PC change in order, because an gradual price-change may make it easier for new members to transition to the site. We will undoubtedly have leavers. They will be angry at the site, and angry at people like me because they think we're greedy. Most of these leavers will have a minimal, if at all PC purchase history, and usually don't make as much as an impact as well, someone who buys from the ever so moneybaggish(out of love bruh) @Chaos. New sellers and buyers will enter with the mentality of a 50/70/90 PC sale. Which is a lot better than a 20PC mentality. They will know what they're getting into, and know if they want to visit the site again.

Last edited by a moderator:

gnmmarechal

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Clicked the wrong button x.x
I agree though.
Prices for Pokemon should be raised, as long as items and such could be kept at 20PC imo.

K

Krelbit

Clicked the wrong button x.x
I agree though.
Prices for Pokemon should be raised, as long as items and such could be kept at 20PC imo.

You can change your vote now. What I'd really like to see now is someone advocating for these prices.

Combustiblelimes

Pokémon Champion
Credits
I suggested a +30, +50, or +70 PC change in order, because an easier transition may make it easier for new members to transition to the site. We will undoubtedly have leavers. They will be angry at the site, and angry at people like me because they think we're greedy. Most of these leavers will have a minimal, if at all PC purchase history, and usually don't make as much as an impact as well, someone who buys from the ever so moneybaggish(out of love bruh) @Chaos. New sellers and buyers will enter with the mentality of a 50/70/90 PC sale. Which is a lot better than a 20PC mentality. They will know what they're getting into, and know if they want to visit the site again.
You're very right. Thank you for clarifying! Hope something changes at least.

anthony o.

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I might be a sore thumb on this debate, but if we raise the min. price, wouldn't all PC just be worth less? Think about it. Everybody selling and buying for 100 PC. Everybody will then get PC easier and easier, and 100 PC will turn to 20 PC in the eyes of value.

But besides that, I totally agree, @Krelbit the minimum wage in America is usually around $7.25. In this case it's $2.67 an hour :p

Last edited:
K

Krelbit

I might be a sore thumb on this debate, but if we raise the min. price, wouldn't all PC just be worth less? Think about it. Everybody selling and buying for 100 PC. Everybody will then get PC easier and easier, and 100 PC will turn to 20 PC in the eyes of value.

But besides that, I totally agree, @Krelbit the minimum wage in America is usually around $7.25. In this case it's $2.67 an hour :p

If everyone can get PC easier, and 100PC turns into 20PC the eyes of value (which it won't, because payouts will still continue at the same rate), then this plan will have succeeded. This is so people can not have a small amount of PC, and stop selling for small amounts of PC.

Fantaztick

Youngster Joey
Credits
Honestly, I haven't been able to make a single penny on this site yet :( nobody seems to want to buy from my shop because I can't afford to spend hours carefully breeding custom pokemon by hand for 20PC and therefore have to raise my prices a little. Honestly the economic vibe I get around here is somewhat reminiscent of a sweatshop. People working hours upon hours for pennies.

anthony o.

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
If everyone can get PC easier, and 100PC turns into 20PC the eyes of value (which it won't, because payouts will still continue at the same rate), then this plan will have succeeded. This is so people can not have a small amount of PC, and stop selling for small amounts of PC.
Ohhh i get it. You wanted to just up the proportions of the sales. Yeah, seems fair enough. I'm now 100% for this!

Last edited:

Fantaztick

Youngster Joey
Credits
People don't realize just how long it takes someone to breed by hand, especially if you're having to juggle ability, egg moves, gender, (most of all)perfect IVs, ect all at the same time. I'm on about eight hours of work on trying to breed a 6IV female hidden ability egg move dratini. I havve a 5IV dratini and a 6IV ditto w/ dknot. and even then if/when I can hatch one I still need to Ev train, and level it up.

K

Krelbit

People don't realize just how long it takes someone to breed by hand, especially if you're having to juggle ability, egg moves, gender, (most of all)perfect IVs, ect all at the same time. I'm on about eight hours of work on trying to breed a 6IV female hidden ability egg move dratini. I havve a 5IV dratini and a 6IV ditto w/ dknot. and even then if/when I can hatch one I still need to Ev train, and level it up.

Ah, breeding. An under-appreciated skill here at PP.com. It's great that you're still troopin on with it, but it really stinks to have undercutters roaming the far and wide corners of the side grabbing business like that.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
I fear this may be pointless but, it would stop spam.

gnmmarechal

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Honestly, I haven't been able to make a single penny on this site yet :( nobody seems to want to buy from my shop because I can't afford to spend hours carefully breeding custom pokemon by hand for 20PC and therefore have to raise my prices a little. Honestly the economic vibe I get around here is somewhat reminiscent of a sweatshop. People working hours upon hours for pennies.
20PC is a price way too low. And even if you do indeed get many orders because of low prices, you'll grow bored and the shop will eventually fail, because you're working for 20PC.... Honestly, 20PC is too low, but some people still do it.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Oh wow, alerts decided to not tag me Q_Q (I think they've been broken for me lately tbh)

But yeah, like seb said, it's nice to see some example prices! I definitely support this idea, and it's one that most if not all of the staff members back. As you know, this has been a topic discussed by us heavily for a while, and we definitely need a price increase especially with the increasing amount of spam posts and other, more accessible methods of obtaining customized Pokemon.

Even if we don't raise the minimum prices, I feel that we need to get across the conversion rates of PC to actual money as some sellers don't seem to recognise that selling for 20PC isn't a very economically viable strategy.

K

Krelbit

Oh wow, alerts decided to not tag me Q_Q (I think they've been broken for me lately tbh)

But yeah, like seb said, it's nice to see some example prices! I definitely support this idea, and it's one that most if not all of the staff members back. As you know, this has been a topic discussed by us heavily for a while, and we definitely need a price increase especially with the increasing amount of spam posts and other, more accessible methods of obtaining customized Pokemon.

Even if we don't raise the minimum prices, I feel that we need to get across the conversion rates of PC to actual money as some sellers don't seem to recognise that selling for 20PC isn't a very economically viable strategy.

But we've already tried making them realize 20PC sales are a bad idea. The problem is, their neighbor is ready to chuck out 20PC pokemon, and newbies are coming in with these prices too. They feel they need to bring prices down so they can compete, which makes the entire situation even worse.
And buyers are already used to providing a minimal 20PC for their pokemon. It's bad. A forced sale price would be much better than spreading information at this point, since it's already been too rooted into the people of this site.

gnmmarechal

Pokémon Champion
Credits
True. Even if you convince some people to raise the prices, some won't, and new people always come and do it again anyway. I feel like a min. price increase for pokemon is required. More people selling Pokemon at 20PC will keep coming if this isn't increased, and that isn't good for anyone. Nobody wins with so many 20PC pokemon. Not even the seller who sells them at 20PC.