• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

The PP League Needs Some Adjustments!

Chris

Youngster Joey
Credits
Austin, make a mono team of whatever type you want. I will battle you with a counter team, and then you will know y leaders get an uber. Matt is saying that badges shouldn't be awarded for spamming super effective attacks and he's right, it doesn't mean anything if u win that way

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
Yeah sorry for the a soible pot s soon as I saw that I hit done I accident thought of something to ask and ok I just don't understand thought ole it need s to be fair with leaders against trainers
You have a lot of run on sentences there... you should lock them up with a "." or else they might run off the page xD

Gym leaders can only use mono type Pokemon, meaning they can only use Pokemon with one typing. Example: mono water, a team of all water Pokemon.

People like to bring counter teams (a team of Pokemon that are super effective against that mono team). A stronger Pokemon like an uber can help they gyms out against these teams.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Sorry

I meant sorry for the double post I accidentally hit post than I thought of something to say
I meant the rest of it, but never mind

Sewage

Pokémon Champion
Will Not Fall
Donor
Journalist
Credits
On A normal OU team would anyone EVER use three types like that? That sounds like awful coverage and a bad team to begin with...
I dk if you understood my comment or read it close enough, but with all the dual type pokemon, it's really not like that. So basically what your saying, is any team that has fighting, grass and water type would be awful coverage even with dual typing? Because that would be three super-effective against rock right there..... Just as an example, there are many others. I strongly disagree with you...

EDIT: Just thought of something actually I would like to share that might further enforce my view. A couple months ago when I first joined PP I purchased a "tourney winning team" from a reputable member of the site. This team actually consisted 3 of the same types I just used as an example. Three of the team members were Whimsicott, Greninja and Conk. (I'm sure some of you even know who's team this is already). This team would actually be illegal against the rock gym if that rule of 3 super effectives was put in place due to the team containing a water, grass and fighting type.

That's all I was trying to say, I hope I have made my point clear.

Last edited:

Brock

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Tournament Coordinator
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Battler
Credits
I agree with the point everyone is coming across not the best with words but I hope you understand the feelings radiating from this comment and if you don't well its beautiful 0-0

In all seriousness some changes should be made or altered to benefit everyone and suggestions like these help but I know not everyone agrees with one idea that's just how a community works loads of progress will be made with this Community it already has different people with different ideas and thats a Important base structure for a great greater site.

Brock

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Tournament Coordinator
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Battler
Credits
I well I want was ting how they should be more fair fights like each player gets one uber
For Gym Leaders having to use a mono team is pretty restricting on the choices of pokemon that are available for their teams while challengers could use almost all pokemon that aren't Uber and the pokemons typing wouldn't matter unlike for gym leaders.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
@AceBreeder-Brock got it 100% right - the fact that the leader gets an uber makes it a fair fight by easing off the pressure of using one type

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
I well I want was ting how they should be more fair fights like each player gets one uber
But it's not fair if both have an uber. The only reason gyms get one is to create a more fair playing field because we're restricted in what we can bring, but they're not.

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
I dk if you understood my comment or read it close enough, but with all the dual type pokemon, it's not really not like that. So basically what your saying, is any team that has fighting, grass and water type would be awful coverage even with dual typing? Because that would be three super-effective against rock right there..... Just as an example, there are many others. I strongly disagree with you...

EDIT: Just thought of something actually I would like to share that might further enforce my view. A couple months ago when I first joined PP I purchased a "tourney winning team" from a reputable member of the site. This team actually consisted 3 of the same types I just used as an example. Three of the team members were Whimsicott, Greninja and Conk. (I'm sure some of you even know who's team this is already). This team would actually be illegal against the rock gym if that rule of 3 super effectives was put in place due to the team containing a water, grass and fighting type.

That's all I was trying to say, I hope I have made my point clear.
Yeah, after reading you and phenix's reply I see the issue - but I think it'd be worse to give gym leaders the option to ban "x" amount of pokemon as they see fit.

The whole point of the gym challenge is to be a challenge. It shouldn't be weighted in anyone's favor and that's what we are trying to fix. Each gym having their own ban list becomes an issue for people who just want to have fun with their pre-existing teams because then they have to go buy different Pokemon or rebuild a team for each gym.

If we were to seriously considering building a "ban list" for the gyms, it should be done by the tiering council with the possibility of the gym leaders inputs but not by each individual gym leader. It needs to be a concrete set of tiers and bans, not determined by the gym leaders and fluctuating whenever they feel or whenever a leader changes. For example, maybe the tiering council would decide to ban Greninja in the dragon gym - it stays that way regardless of who is leader of the gym. BUT Greninja could be used against other gyms, such as water, grass, etc.

So to conclude, I think having each individual gym leader determine what their ban list would be is an awful idea. Leaders would change the list too often for users to keep up. I think it'd be best to have the tiering council determine what's best considered 'uber' for each gym as to override personal leader bias and eliminate the problem of new leaders coming in and completely changing their ban list. It needs to be a set ban list or I will not support it.

austinrayk

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Yeah, after reading you and phenix's reply I see the issue - but I think it'd be worse to give gym leaders the option to ban "x" amount of pokemon as they see fit.

The whole point of the gym challenge is to be a challenge. It shouldn't be weighted in anyone's favor and that's what we are trying to fix. Each gym having their own ban list becomes an issue for people who just want to have fun with their pre-existing teams because then they have to go buy different Pokemon or rebuild a team for each gym.

If we were to seriously considering building a "ban list" for the gyms, it should be done by the tiering council with the possibility of the gym leaders inputs but not by each individual gym leader. It needs to be a concrete set of tiers and bans, not determined by the gym leaders and fluctuating whenever they feel or whenever a leader changes. For example, maybe the tiering council would decide to ban Greninja in the dragon gym - it stays that way regardless of who is leader of the gym. BUT Greninja could be used against other gyms, such as water, grass, etc.

So to conclude, I think having each individual gym leader determine what their ban list would be is an awful idea. Leaders would change the list too often for users to keep up. I think it'd be best to have the tiering council determine what's best considered 'uber' for each gym as to override personal leader bias and eliminate the problem of new leaders coming in and completely changing their ban list. It needs to be a set ban list or I will not support it.
Dang you got a lot to say

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
maybe instead of straight up banning pokemon, having a list of "banned" pokemon for each gym, and then only allowing each person to have one of them? Maybe a list for each gym or ideas for pokemon can be generated by the community, and finishing touches could be done by the council, if we work off of the idea that @sebesmos thought of. It's hard for a council to come up with all the right pokemon, because we haven't controlled each gym ourselves, so community discussion would be important if we took such a path.

Also, should we possibly ban stealth rocks from certain gyms? It's iffy, but gyms like Ice have issues with rocks, because the pokemon that can remove rocks would be weighted down by having to carry rapid spin, and its hard to do well with rocks and bullet punch. Rocks also hurt fire a lot, as there arent any reliable fire spinners, and fire types with roost are 4x weak to rocks.

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
maybe instead of straight up banning pokemon, having a list of "banned" pokemon for each gym, and then only allowing each person to have one of them? Maybe a list for each gym or ideas for pokemon can be generated by the community, and finishing touches could be done by the council, if we work off of the idea that @sebesmos thought of. It's hard for a council to come up with all the right pokemon, because we haven't controlled each gym ourselves, so community discussion would be important if we took such a path.

Also, should we possibly ban stealth rocks from certain gyms? It's iffy, but gyms like Ice have issues with rocks, because the pokemon that can remove rocks would be weighted down by having to carry rapid spin, and its hard to do well with rocks and bullet punch. Rocks also hurt fire a lot, as there arent any reliable fire spinners, and fire types with roost are 4x weak to rocks.
Eh, I don't agree as much with removing threats like rocks/spikes/etc. But what you said in the first paragraph is what I was trying to convey. I think it'd still be important to have gym leaders inputs, since they're the ones who see the threats the most, but I think it'd be important to have a secondary and more official opinion whether it's a true threat or if it can be dealt with by that gyms typing. :)

austinrayk

Pokémon Trainer
Credits

Good idea

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
Jiggly...how does my flying gym not come up with the stealth rock problem lol
You gotta remember that defog is pre-HAs, so it's actually a pretty poopy move on flying types. Plus it kills both multiscale mons as well as Skarm's sturdy.
(Also I have ice shard like you have bullet punch).
I feel that we can't get rid of things like that though. It's just how it is.

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
You gotta remember that defog is pre-HAs, so it's actually a pretty poopy move on flying types. Plus it kills both multiscale mons as well as Skarm's sturdy.
It's something that is annoying but I don't think it's actually serious enough to be removed. (Agree)

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
It seemed like an obvious example, I was also trying to segguest gyms that people may not think about, plus I didn't want to mention them all. Plus, most flying types learn defog, some of which almost always have defog. It's not as much of an issue to remove like certain gyms, mostly fire. Although, it's still a big issue we may need to discuss if we wish to balance gyms.

testing