• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Tournament rules

Saucman

Youngster Joey
Credits
So there was a lot of controversy over the tournament rules today after it had started. This clearly effected the strategies of several players and started a fire in chat. Here are my thoughts on this:

1. A mistake was made by tournament organizers when rules were not made explicit from the start.

2. There are fifty million pokemon websites - we cannot assume that rules from any of them are expected by anyone.

3. We have a great advantage in being able to form our own community and not be beholden to the rules of some other community. Saying we use rules "That are a max of smogon and VGC" or "Kind of like PO" will only hamstring us.

4. I don't believe every tournament needs similar rules. If someone wants to run one with all legendaries, do it. If someone wants to run a tournament with no clauses DO IT. This just forces more thought before the tournament. Nothing can be unfair if everyone UNDERSTANDS the rules. Then losing is your own fault.

What can we do to remedy these things in the future?

Jellicent

Youngster Joey
Credits
Best bet would be to allow tournaments to use whatever rulesets the host wants to use. If it's standard VGC or Smogon OU or whatever, just link to those rules in the OP. If it's a custom format, make any bans or extra rules clear in the OP. No clauses or bans should be assumed for custom formats that don't specifically mention them in the rules. Easy enough fix ^.^

Saucman

Youngster Joey
Credits
^ This is completely the point. Any rules not started in an ORIGINAL tournament post should not be a rule.

doulie

King of the Ring
Staff member
Admin
Credits

Gym Badges

I do see you point.

Before the next tournament we will created a set of community battling rules that will be used for our official tournaments, unless tournament coordinator explicitly states otherwise.