• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Trade-based Pokemon Values

PunSniperSylveon

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
Lately I've had a few ideas in mind with ORAS right around the corner.
What do you all think about an idea like this?:

You have a poke, and you can put in info you see about your poke like the one below.
67ee639ded.png

Based on the info you provide, a value is calculated about your poke. That value defines the trade-value of your poke.

Now let's say you're running short on PC, and you can only make trades at best for whatever reason, and you rely on the trade-value of your poke to weigh if an offer from another trainer is worthwhile?

There are some limitations inherent with this trade-value approach to trading, but what it does offer is a uniform way of placing a value on a poke to help you and the other trader figure out if the trade is good enough, or a rip-off?

It goes without saying - the trade-value approach to trading doesn't have to dictate whether a trade goes through or not, that's silly. The approach is just to give traders a way to measure the value of offers and the value of their own poke.

I'd like some feedback please.

matt

Pokémon Champion
Credits
personally I think that this idea is in general well thought out however for ex: if I want to purchase a poke that's 100 pc and I don't have but have pokes I can trade ... the issue is that each shop/person applies their own theoretical value assigned to each poke based on need or rarity available to them like some shops specialize in event pokes and if someone offers an event they don't have the value is increased while if they already have one the value is decreased ... this value would constantly be changing and so having a standard set value doesn't do much good if the value is naturally different to each shop/person........ just my opinion

PunSniperSylveon

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
Thank you matt,
What you say is true - event pokes, and legends, and any other 'special' kind of poke will be on a league of it's own when it comes to placing a value on it.

I'd say that's a limitation to the idea I'm thinking about because with what I already have on hand, I didn't plan on that. I'll figure out if it's something I can account for without it turning into a headache, haha..

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
It's definitely a unique idea, and I sort of like the thought behind it but the application would be very difficult IMO

Who would set the values? A council I would imagine of top traders who are already busy with their shops and then they would need to evaluate every possible pokemon?

The prices vary and values would too I believe, they are also subjectional as mat said they vary which is why we have a semi successful economy and no super monopolies

Just my two cents

PunSniperSylveon

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
It's definitely a unique idea, and I sort of like the thought behind it but the application would be very difficult IMO

Who would set the values? A council I would imagine of top traders who are already busy with their shops and then they would need to evaluate every possible pokemon?

The prices vary and values would too I believe, they are also subjectional as mat said they vary which is why we have a semi successful economy and no super monopolies

Just my two cents
Thank you for the feedback.

For who would set the values, originally I was thinking about creating a thread asking people to rate the value per quality of the poke. I have a list of items that I already rate pokes by such as if the poke has a strong bias for any specific gender, or if the poke has a complicated IV build (especially for HP builds).

On top of asking for input from the community, I was also thinking about snooping into merchant threads throughout the site and get a sense what they're charging for their pokes.

There is no poke that is evaluated one by one, that's inefficient. The system quantifies the poke based on the qualities it possesses and a trade-value is determined for any poke that's evaluated.

The value based thing would fluctuate from time to time, but the nice thing about it is once a value is set for a particular quality, the set value would apply to all pokes that possess the quality. Such as the value of a poke based on the number of egg moves it posses, whether it's Kalos Born, if it possesses the Pokerus, whether the poke is EV trained and lvl 1 versus an EV trained lvl 100 poke (the lvl 1 EV trained poke will possess a higher value for the specific quality because to EV train a lvl. 1 and retain the level the trainer would have to make an extra effort), etc.

What I already built takes a bunch of data I put in about my pokes like the characteristics I mentioned earlier, and I use my system to price out a poke.

The system in its initial stages would need to be subjective to spot out any patterns and use the patterns to optimize it and move closer to a less subjective approach.

Last edited:

Stellar

Mr. Steal Your Girl
Trusted Seller
Donor
Credits
I like the idea. It would help put prices down for other people.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
I think the way that we could go about it would be using a tiering system for battle-readies - based on a combination the overall viability of the set (e.g. 0 SpA IV, 0 SpA EV, Adamant Specs Conkeldurr being low-tier and Amamant 252 Atk 5 IV av conkeldurr being high-tier - extreme example but you get the picture), the amount of work that will be required to get it up to scratch, the current competitive tier of the pokemon (atm based on smogon, but in the future based on the PP tier lists) and the pokemon's rarity - all in the eyes of 5 randomly chosen neutral participants. The random neutral participants thing could be done using a plugin that would tag 5 random users that have been active in the last week for a thread with the prefix 'sell' that decide on an overall tier that the seller uses as guidelines for how much they charge for the pokemon. I was thinking maybe an averaging system for the tiering system, with a rough outline being this for battle-readies:

Competitive Tier:
Uber/Uber Doubles - 5 points
OU/BL/UU/VGC/OU Doubles/UU Doubles - 4 points
BL2/RU/BL3/RU Doubles - 3 points
NU/PU/NFE/LC Uber/NU Doubles - 2 points
LC/LC Doubles - 1 point

Level of work required for buyer to get it up to scratch:
Low level or no work required - 5 points
Moderately low level of work required - 4 points
Moderate level of work required - 3 points
Moderately high level of work required - 2 points
High level of work required or impossible task - 1 point

Set viability:
Unique, highly viable set - 5 points
Standard set - 4 points
Moderately viable set - 3 points
Gimmick/Lowly viable set - 2 points
Set not viable - 1 point

Rarity:
Event only - 5 points
Legendary - 4 points
Low Encounter Rate/Friend Safari Only/Dream World Only/Hidden Ability/Transfer Only - 3 points
Medium encounter rate - 2 points
High encounter rate - 1 point

A mean average for the overall scores from each category is then used to to give an overall value for the pokemon which is then used by the seller to aid them in their decision for pricing, as well as by the buyer to determine whether it is a rip off, well-priced or a bargain.

Of course it's harder to decide what to do for non-battle-readies, but I feel this is a good way of going about it for the battle-readies.

Last edited:

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
I think the way that we could go about it would be using a tiering system for battle-readies - based on a combination the overall viability of the set (e.g. specs conkeldurr being low-tier and av conkeldurr being high-tier - extreme example but you get the picture), the amount of work that will be required to get it up to scratch and the current competitive tier of the pokemon (atm based on smogon, but in the future based on the PP tier lists) - all in the eyes of 5 randomly chosen neutral participants. The random neutral participants thing could be done using a plugin that would tag 5 random users that have been active in the last week for a thread with the prefix 'sell' that decide on an overall tier that the seller uses as guidelines for how much they charge for the pokemon. I was thinking maybe an averaging system for the tiering system, with a rough outline being this for battle-readies:

Competitive Tier:
Uber/Uber Doubles - 5 points
OU/BL/UU/VGC/OU Doubles/UU Doubles - 4 points
BL2/RU/BL3/RU Doubles - 3 points
NU/PU/NFE/LC Uber/NU Doubles - 2 points
LC/LC Doubles - 1 point

Level of work required for buyer to get it up to scratch:
Low level or no work required - 5 points
Moderately low level of work required - 4 points
Moderate level of work required - 3 points
Moderately high level of work required - 2 points
High level of work required - 1 point

Set viability:
Unique, highly viable - 5 points
Standard Set - 4 points
Moderate viability - 3 points
Gimmick/Low viability - 2 points
Not viable - 1 point

The scores for each category are then averaged to give an overall value for the pokemon which is then used by the seller to aid them in their decision for pricing.

Of course it's harder to decide what to do for non-battle-readies, but I feel this is a good way of going about it for the battle-readies.

You didn't mention Kalos Bred, how would that factor in?

Overall I think a guideline using this would be useful of course there would still be deviations on a shop by shop basis

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
You didn't mention Kalos Bred, how would that factor in?
Ive added in extra info into my post in both the conkeldurr example and by adding an extra category to clear up issues such as that.

testing