• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Trying to build my first competitive team

Wasian

Youngster Joey
Credits
Im trying to build my 1st competitive team based around mega mawile. I was thinking of putting a blaziken with speed boost and have it baton pass to mawile after using a couple power up punches. Does that sound ok or do you think thats a bad idea?
Any suggestions?

ruel

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
trick room would be the best option id say since mawile is very slow if u do baton pass setup it would take too long to setup

Wasian

Youngster Joey
Credits
I completely forgot about trick room for some reason lol but thats a really good idea. Know any good trick room users?

Ary

Scare Queen
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Credits
Are you even following site tiers? speed boost blaziken isn't ou here....

Wasian

Youngster Joey
Credits
I havent really checked the tiers yet i was just trying to come up with ideas first then go back and see what i could and couldnt use.

Ary

Scare Queen
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Credits
...before you ask for "competitive" help you should figure out the tiers and the tier the team will be based in. Its not just guess and check lol

SuperDraco

Youngster Joey
Credits
After you check the tiers, if your building a trick room team musharna is a great poke with access to trick room, recovery and support rooms ideal for vgc based events. Or instead of blaziken you could try Yanmega which also has speed boost.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Right, I'll carry on commenting because a few people here seem to have got the wrong end of the stick

Why are people going on about TR being a viable strat in this situation? He's speed boosting so he'll end up with around ~520 speed with no investment at +6. Also, this would be possible either in VGC or Ubers, although it may not be the greatest strategy ever. I would recommend using Substitute + Protect Blaziken for longevity, and you may want to consider Swords Dance as an option, although this does leave you open to common Taunt users.

@Ary he is allowed to ask questions you know - we're here to help, not to criticise.

I get people's point about this being difficult to set up and using TR as an alternative strategy, but there are a few problems with this:
  • TR is a pretty awful strategy in Singles if you're trying to utilise both a setter and an abuser - you waste one turn straight away by switching and then you don't set up at all.
  • It would be a better strategy in Doubles, making Blaziken redundant, but then you aren't getting any boosts. You could run TR setter + SD mMawile, but this leaves you pretty open to attacks for a full turn, in a meta where Will-o is extremely common, Taunt is extremely common and you can get hit twice in one turn.

Ary

Scare Queen
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Credits
Im not saying he cant ask lol but before asking for assistance he should get a general idea of tiers for wtever he is using this team for whether is showdown/pp/vgc and figure out in wt tier he wants to play in. Merely advise given in my own way.

testing