• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Closed Best moveset and item for Gooey Goodra

Joshua69

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I am making a competive Gooey Goodra but wanted to know what moveset to use and what item it should hold.

Armoured-Lemming

Youngster Joey
Credits
I personally prefer the grass immunity granted by Sap sipper brings but Gooey can be great for bogging down those annoying physical sweepers.

You could go for a Specially defensive wall with assault vest, and drop your EV's in special attack, HP and the rest into defence and a Modest nature, with this distribution you can wall specials, sponge up a physical hit thanks to the HP bulk and gooey punishes them, then retaliate with the offensive move of your choice, combining Goodra's naturally high special attack stat and more likely then not a super effective hit resulting in a KO.

Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
flamethrower
Dragon Pulse

You could also take the invested HP and throw it in defence or even lower your special attack though that'll cut into your ability to KO a fair bit.

Joshua69

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I personally prefer the grass immunity granted by Sap sipper brings but Gooey can be great for bogging down those annoying physical sweepers.

You could go for a Specially defensive wall with assault vest, and drop your EV's in special attack, HP and the rest into defence and a Modest nature, with this distribution you can wall specials, sponge up a physical hit thanks to the HP bulk and gooey punishes them, then retaliate with the offensive move of your choice, combining Goodra's naturally high special attack stat and more likely then not a super effective hit resulting in a KO.

Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
flamethrower
Dragon Pulse

You could also take the invested HP and throw it in defence or even lower your special attack though that'll cut into your ability to KO a fair bit.
Thanks

Joshua69

Pokémon Trainer
Credits

Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
flamethrower
Dragon Pulse

How about this?
Goodra with Gooey Modest 152Def 252Hp 100Spa with Assault vest
Ice beam- dragon, flying, rock, ground, grass
flamethrower- steel, bug, grass, ice
thunderbolt- water, flying
sludge wave- fairy, grass

Last edited:

Armoured-Lemming

Youngster Joey
Credits
How about this?
Goodra with Gooey Modest 152Def 252Hp 100Spa with Assault vest
Ice beam- dragon, flying, rock, ground, grass
flamethrower- steel, bug, grass
thunderbolt- water, flying
sludge wave- fairy, grass
That can work out nicely as well, it actually has a few more super effective targets then my set but keep in mind you are giving up the STAB on Dragon Pulse which is usually your go-to move when your not going to get a super effective hit. that 50% boost can make the difference between a 1 and 2 hit KO.

Joshua69

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
That can work out nicely as well, it actually has a few more super effective targets then my set but keep in mind you are giving up the STAB on Dragon Pulse which is usually your go-to move when your not going to get a super effective hit. that 50% boost can make the difference between a 1 and 2 hit KO.
How about
Ice Beam
Flamethrower
Sludge Wave
Dragon Pulse
Everything else is the same. I chose Sludge Wave over thunderbolt because it hits fairys. Ice beam hits the flying and dragon pulse hits harder than t-bolt water is not that hard to deal with another Pokémon.

Armoured-Lemming

Youngster Joey
Credits
How about
Ice Beam
Flamethrower
Sludge Wave
Dragon Pulse
Everything else is the same. I chose Sludge Wave over thunderbolt because it hits fairys. Ice beam hits the flying and dragon pulse hits harder than t-bolt water is not that hard to deal with another Pokémon.
With this set you certainly have fairies covered but now the majority of water types are only going to take normal hits this set also has more normal effective targets rather then super effective so your going to have to rely on dragon pulse even more with this set.

Lemme run the numbers for you.

Set 1:
Ice beam
Flamethrower
Sludge Wave
Dragon Pulse - STAB

No Effect: 0 NV effective: 0 Normal:410 Super:364

Set 2:
Ice Beam
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Sludge Wave

NO: 0 NVE: 0 Normal:309 Super:465

Set 3:
Ice Beam
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Dragon Pulse - STAB

NO: 0 NVE: 0 Normal:331 Super:443

Joshua69

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
With this set you certainly have fairies covered but now the majority of water types are only going to take normal hits this set also has more normal effective targets rather then super effective so your going to have to rely on dragon pulse even more with this set.

Lemme run the numbers for you.

Set 1:
Ice beam
Flamethrower
Sludge Wave
Dragon Pulse - STAB

No Effect: 0 NV effective: 0 Normal:410 Super:364

Set 2:
Ice Beam-
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Sludge Wave

NO: 0 NVE: 0 Normal:309 Super:465

Set 3:
Ice Beam
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Dragon Pulse - STAB

NO: 0 NVE: 0 Normal:331 Super:443
It seems that thunderbolt is very important in this set. The second set has more super than both sets but has a little bit lower normal one. how much power would Dragon pulse have with stab?

Armoured-Lemming

Youngster Joey
Credits
To be honest the bolt/beam combo has always been a great coverage pairing in the game series.
those two alone hit 341 different Pokémon for super effective damage.

Now by itself Dragon pulse is at 85 base power, so taking into account the 50% boost from it being STAB that's about 127 power behind a move, combine that with Goodra's Maximum Special attack stat of (Modest nature, 252 sp. atk investment) 350 and you have a fairly potent ability even on a normal hit.

Armoured-Lemming

Youngster Joey
Credits
To list the ones I know of? there's a few...
Florges Can wall your special attacks and is liable to 2hit KO you in return.
Slurpuff With Unburden and belly drum is scary.
Sylveon
Xerneas because Legendary.

Togekiss
Gardevoir (And its Mega) has heavy special defence and special attack to take Goodra down.
Mawile (And its mega) Will hit like a truck with its Huge Power against your lower defence with sucker punch, switch out as all your moves will trigger it.
Whimsicott For its Prankster Status Spamming.
Klekfi Also has prankster though it fears your flamethrower.
Diancie I know nothing about this one but its a legendary... with a mega form on its way... RUN.

Sorry if I missed any out, every fairy has the potential to ruin Goodra's day but these are the ones that spring to my mind.

Joshua69

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
To list the ones I know of? there's a few...
Florges Can wall your special attacks and is liable to 2hit KO you in return.
Slurpuff With Unburden and belly drum is scary.
Sylveon
Xerneas because Legendary.

Togekiss
Gardevoir (And its Mega) has heavy special defence and special attack to take Goodra down.
Mawile (And its mega) Will hit like a truck with its Huge Power against your lower defence with sucker punch, switch out as all your moves will trigger it.
Whimsicott For its Prankster Status Spamming.
Klekfi Also has prankster though it fears your flamethrower.
Diancie I know nothing about this one but its a legendary... with a mega form on its way... RUN.

Sorry if I missed any out, every fairy has the potential to ruin Goodra's day but these are the ones that spring to my mind.
It seems that if a fairy appears Goodra needs to disappear. I think I will chose Dragon pluse over Sludge wave. Fairys have strong/ pretty strong Spd too much for goodra.

Armoured-Lemming

Youngster Joey
Credits
Aye, switching into a Poison or Steel Type to help save Goodra is ideal, you have a lot of good options too! Gengar, Scizor, Skarmory, Mawile (Fairy & steel!) and even a lot of the lesser used types can all put the hurt on those bothersome fairies, Muk has always been a personal favourite of mind given its fairly well balanced even when there own fairy runs off.

testing