• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Bisharp, a new team staple?

AndromedaNexus

Lorekeeper
Donor
Credits
For the uninitiated, this is a Bisharp

bisharp.gif

He is a Dark/Steel type Pokemon with a monster attack stat, a good speed tier, passable defenses with resistances to very common types.Such as Dragon, Rock, Ice, Ghost, Dark, As well as immunities to Poison and Psychic. Bisharp also has a fantastic move pool to take advantage of.

This Pokemon has been climbing in usage lately. Ever since XY, the nerf on steel types has made Bisharp quite viable. He managed to make it to OU this generation, when in Gen 5 he was UU. His niche is a very useful one:Being a Lati@s counter. Due to his ability Defiant, whenever his stats are dropped(let's say from Defog), his attack raises by +2. With his resists to Both of Lati@s' STABs, he will always come in on them and wreck house if he gets the defiant boost. Seeing that the Lati's are in most teams, it only seems natural that his usage would climb.Having Dual stabs that hurt most of the meta as well as having priority in Sucker Punch is very useful.
But that's not all he's good at:

Due to his ability, he can also switch in on Sticky Webs and on Intimidate users , netting some free attack and dealing heavy damage in return.

We can all admire how good Bisharp is, but he has his weaknesses, and they are crippling.

Due to his Dark/Steel typing, he carries the burden of being weak to Fighting, Ground and fire, as well as taking neutral damage from Fairy and Bug. All of those types are incredibly common in the OU metagame. He has support to mitigate this, and to be frank, that's enough to see this Pokemon being used as much as it is.

Bisharp is a Fantastic Pokemon,but now we bring it to the point of this thread, is he Worthy of being a team staple?
Let's see what he checks:
Lati@s
Aegislash(King Shield is nothing but a nuisance)
Defog Users
Ghost Types
Psychic Types
Fairy Types
Rock types(bar Terrakion)
Intimidate users(bar Landourus-Therian)
Sticky web users
Himself

And this is why he is so good right now, when running Low Kick, he can beat himself. A Pokemon that checks this much AS WELL as himself is definitely worth using. He has an offensive presence that we cannot ignore.

So, Team Nova, with all this information, is he worthy to be called a staple? I would love to hear from you guys. Let's discuss this Pokemon.

Last edited:

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
He is definitely more relevant now with Mega Gallade, the duo makes a fantastic core for the OU meta and he can also run a few different options

Pursuit sets are more rare nowadays IMO but still very useful on things like the latis, I would go as far as calling him a staple since he is one of the most common pokemon in the tier and every team should have a check or counter to this powerful mon

I've even seen some interesting lum sets allowing switches into scald safely and SD variants killing off many rotom-w sets after eating a Will O Wisp

The ability is insanely powerful paired with Landorous-T being one of the most common if not the most common pokemon in the tier having an ability that gives you a +1 attack raise.

I would definitely consider Bisharp a staple of the OU tier right now, especially with the main fairy types being specially defensive for the most part and iron head hitting like a truck

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Sorry, I'm not Nova, but I felt like I had something to contribute lol.

Are you saying that Bisharp wasn't a team staple last gen? I'd have to disagree with you there, sorry. Whilst big threats like Mega Lucario were around, Bisharp could easily hold its own against the rest of the meta, providing solid Knock Off support as well as a great priority attack in the form of Sucker Punch. Like you said, it is a solid check to big OU threats like Aegislash (and counters ones that don't run Sacred Sword) by having multiple dark type moves to abuse.

Everything else I would agree with though :p

AndromedaNexus

Lorekeeper
Donor
Credits
I'm sorry, how was Bisharp a staple in Generation 5? There are a lot of factors that prevented him from being good in Gen 5 that were addressed in gen 6.
1.Defog DID NOT remove hazards from both sides of the field, therefore unusable.
2.Steel still resisted Dark
3.Knock Off was a 20 base power move
4.Bisharp did not fit the needs of any weather team

I do agree with your statement regarding Bisharp's usefulness when M-Luc was prominent. His power in Gen 6 has made him something you must consider when building a team, because your team can be taken out by this one Pokemon if your do not have a check for him.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I'm sorry, how was Bisharp a staple in Generation 5? There are a lot of factors that prevented him from being good in Gen 5 that were addressed in gen 6.
1.Defog DID NOT remove hazards from both sides of the field, therefore unusable.
2.Steel still resisted Dark
3.Knock Off was a 20 base power move
4.Bisharp did not fit the needs of any weather team

I do agree with your statement regarding Bisharp's usefulness when M-Luc was prominent. His power in Gen 6 has made him something you must consider when building a team, because your team can be taken out by this one Pokemon if your do not have a check for him.
Sorry :p In my previous post I meant XY* not last gen

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits