• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Building A Team

Pichu

Youngster Joey
Credits
I'm trying to build a good OU team for competitive battling but i'm having issues deciding what would be good choices for the team, I want to at least have one of the Latis in it, any tips or ideas? I also want to see if I can get a good enough team for both 6v6 and 3v3 battles....

What I got for Latis so far

Latios Level 100

EVs in SpAtk and Speed

HP:301
SpAtk: 359
Spd: 350

Nature: Timid
Item: Choice Scarf (maybe?)

Moveset

Draco Meteor
Surf
Psyshock
Trick

I'm thinking maybe a Sylveon or Scizor, please post any comment/ideas :D

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Hi, I have an entire thread dedicated to making people teams :) PM me if you want to see more.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Oh sorry, it's probably out of your price range :/

Pichu

Youngster Joey
Credits
Oh I just want ideas on making team, see what different people suggest and build on that :x

Ryuki

Youngster Joey
Credits
I'm trying to build a good OU team for competitive battling but i'm having issues deciding what would be good choices for the team, I want to at least have one of the Latis in it, any tips or ideas? I also want to see if I can get a good enough team for both 6v6 and 3v3 battles....

What I got for Latis so far

Latios Level 100

EVs in SpAtk and Speed

HP:301
SpAtk: 359
Spd: 350

Nature: Timid
Item: Choice Scarf (maybe?)

Moveset

Draco Meteor
Surf
Psyshock
Trick

I'm thinking maybe a Sylveon or Scizor, please post any comment/ideas :D
Looks good so far. I personally run a Latios too. The only difference for mine is that I run Defog over Surf. I use Defog to clear hazards from the field.

What you want to do next is build around Latios's weaknesses. Latios has a weakness to the following type attacks:
- Bug
- Ghost
- Ice
- Dragon
- Dark
- Fairy

Sylveon boasts resistances to Dark, Bug, and Fighting. It also has an immunity to Dragon. So now you have 1/2 of Latios's weaknesses covered.

Scizor would work quite well too! It has a bunch of resistances (normal, bug, steel, grass, psychic, ice, dragon, fairy) and is immune to poison. Steel resistance and poison immunity gives it great synergy with Sylveon too.

All you have left to account for from Latios's resistances is Ghost. I would suggest using a Special Defense wall such as Blissey. Blissey is immune to ghost and can tank any kind of special attack thrown your way.

You'll need to pair up a Special Def wall with a Physical Def wall next. I would suggest using something like Gliscor. Gliscor is my favorite so I'm a bit biased :)

To recap, that gives you:
Latios
Sylveon
Scizor
Blissey
Gliscor

This gives you one more slot for a pokemon of your choice! Good luck and have fun building your team in the future!!!

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Oh I just want ideas on making team, see what different people suggest and build on that :x
Ah ok. Well if you're building around a Latios, I would say give it Life Orb or something different. That means it's weak to Fairy, Dragon, Ice, Dark, Bug and Ghost. The rest of your core needs to be able to check all of these type matchups, so Scizor could work as one of them. I would also suggest a Bisharp or similar Dark type.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Looks good so far. I personally run a Latios too. The only difference for mine is that I run Defog over Surf. I use Defog to clear hazards from the field.

What you want to do next is build around Latios's weaknesses. Latios has a weakness to the following type attacks:
- Bug
- Ghost
- Ice
- Dragon
- Dark
- Fairy

Sylveon boasts resistances to Dark, Bug, and Fighting. It also has an immunity to Dragon. So now you have 1/2 of Latios's weaknesses covered.

Scizor would work quite well too! It has a bunch of resistances (normal, bug, steel, grass, psychic, ice, dragon, fairy) and is immune to poison. Steel resistance and poison immunity gives it great synergy with Sylveon too.

All you have left to account for from Latios's resistances is Ghost. I would suggest using a Special Defense wall such as Blissey. Blissey is immune to ghost and can tank any kind of special attack thrown your way.

You'll need to pair up a Special Def wall with a Physical Def wall next. I would suggest using something like Gliscor. Gliscor is my favorite so I'm a bit biased :)

To recap, that gives you:
Latios
Sylveon
Scizor
Blissey
Gliscor

This gives you one more slot for a pokemon of your choice! Good luck and have fun building your team in the future!!!
Well you said it better than I did xD. I only covered the core briefly lol

Pichu

Youngster Joey
Credits
Thank you for the tips and ideas so with running the sylveon and scizor i'm thinking Bold Sylveon with leftovers and pixilate with protect, wish, hyper voice, heal bell with EVs in HP and Df and a adamant scizor with scizornite and technician and attacks, bullet punch, superpower, U-turn, pursuit/defog? with evs in atk and hp?

Ryuki

Youngster Joey
Credits
Thank you for the tips and ideas so with running the sylveon and scizor i'm thinking Bold Sylveon with leftovers and pixilate with protect, wish, hyper voice, heal bell with EVs in HP and Df and a adamant scizor with scizornite and technician and attacks, bullet punch, superpower, U-turn, pursuit/defog? with evs in atk and hp?
For Sylveon, I'd run calm mind over protect. That's just my personal preference though! Your EVs will be fine as you have them for Sylveon.

Mega Scizor has a lot of different options. Here's what mine has:
Technician
EVs - 252 HP, 120 Def, 138 Atk
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite

SInce you are running technician, I'd recommend using moves that take advantage of that ability. Superpower and U-turn won't get a boost.

Bubblrgum Goodra

Pokémon Trainer
Credits

I guess it depends on if you want a hyper offensive team, hyper defensive/stall or a balanced team. Blissey and Glisgor are already defensive pokemon (though you can easily run gliscor offensively if you want). Blissey already boasts a ton of support and it's possible to get wish on it already if you look around and heal bell is an egg move. So having a another specially defensive poke (even if it is bold) might be abit to much for a balanced or hyper offensive team imo.

You might also want to look into the fact that you have a 2 pokes weak to ice. Having scizor is great, but if it dies in the battle you've lost your only ice counter. So prehaps a fire type in the 4th slot? It would resit gliscor and and latios's weakness to ice, as well as scizor's weakness to fire, sylveon's weakness to steel and latios' weakness to fairy. A good fire type could be chandelure as the ghost typing negates blissey's fighting weakness (though you already have sylveon for that)

And with scizor, that move set looks good - put i would get rid of defog if you chose to run it on one of the latis. I like to run sword dance on mine to start a sweep with bullet punch, equally roost is a good move if you're worried about survivability but it does waste a precious slot. Pursuit is defo a good if you switch into psychic/ghost types (though steel dose not resit ghost anymore so they could stay in - in which case pursuit may not always OHKO)

Just my opinion though - best way to create a good team is to test it in battle not just right it down :)

Ryuki

Youngster Joey
Credits
I guess it depends on if you want a hyper offensive team, hyper defensive/stall or a balanced team. Blissey and Glisgor are already defensive pokemon (though you can easily run gliscor offensively if you want). Blissey already boasts a ton of support and it's possible to get wish on it already if you look around and heal bell is an egg move. So having a another specially defensive poke (even if it is bold) might be abit to much for a balanced or hyper offensive team imo.

You might also want to look into the fact that you have a 2 pokes weak to ice. Having scizor is great, but if it dies in the battle you've lost your only ice counter. So prehaps a fire type in the 4th slot? It would resit gliscor and and latios's weakness to ice, as well as scizor's weakness to fire, sylveon's weakness to steel and latios' weakness to fairy. A good fire type could be chandelure as the ghost typing negates blissey's fighting weakness (though you already have sylveon for that)

And with scizor, that move set looks good - put i would get rid of defog if you chose to run it on one of the latis. I like to run sword dance on mine to start a sweep with bullet punch, equally roost is a good move if you're worried about survivability but it does waste a precious slot. Pursuit is defo a good if you switch into psychic/ghost types (though steel dose not resit ghost anymore so they could stay in - in which case pursuit may not always OHKO)

Just my opinion though - best way to create a good team is to test it in battle not just right it down :)
A pokemon with base 75 Special Def is a specially defensive pokemon? o_O I think you may be thinking of a different pokemon.

Bubblrgum Goodra

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Compared to being physically defensive? With a whopping 10 defense? Are we talking about the same pokemon? :)
But in all seriousness, Special Blissey is crazy good with 225 base Hp and possibly even an assault vest, Even without one if you pair it with toxic and all the teams physical threats are gone then gg ;)

Ryuki

Youngster Joey
Credits
Last edited:

Migihigi

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I thinks its better to run sylveon as a specially defensive wall instead of defensive one...So i would suggest calm nature 252 Hp, 252 SpD, 4 SpA..Moonblast, protect, wish, heal bell

Ryuki

Youngster Joey
Credits
I thinks its better to run sylveon as a specially defensive wall instead of defensive one...So i would suggest calm nature 252 Hp, 252 SpD, 4 SpA..Moonblast, protect, wish, heal bell
But this leaves it open to physical attacks.....

Is you do Bold nature, you can put all the EVs into HP and Def. Then, you can use calm mind to boost it's Special Atk AND it's Special Def. You are crippling it by making a special defense wall IMO.

Bubblrgum Goodra

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gliscor_(Pokémon)

Base 125 Special Defense. It's my favorite pokemon :)

Wait don't you mean 125 base defense? The link was to gliscor - are we even talking about the same pokemon any more lmao:)

Edit: Also both defensive with calm mind and specially defensive are viably. Only problem with defensive is Sylveon's speed, if you're slower then the opponent and they OHKO you... That being said I doubt you would set up on a Pokemon that could do that anyway :)

Migihigi

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
But this leaves it open to physical attacks.....

Is you do Bold nature, you can put all the EVs into HP and Def. Then, you can use calm mind to boost it's Special Atk AND it's Special Def. You are crippling it by making a special defense wall IMO.
Owh i never think it that way...because i always ran it together with gliscor to tank physical attack
Anyways Bold sylveon seems neat, might try it out later

Ryuki

Youngster Joey
Credits
Owh i never think it that way...because i always ran it together with gliscor to tank physical attack
Anyways Bold sylveon seems neat, might try it out later
BTW, I meant crippling the team as a whole IF you run it with Blissey. One of the two on it's own as a special defense wall would be powerful.

Ryuki

Youngster Joey
Credits
Wait don't you mean 125 base defense? The link was to gliscor - are we even talking about the same pokemon any more lmao:)

Edit: Also both defensive with calm mind and specially defensive are viably. Only problem with defensive is Sylveon's speed, if you're slower then the opponent and they OHKO you... That being said I doubt you would set up on a Pokemon that could do that anyway :)
Edited, you are confusing me now lol

This is what I was referencing that you said:
"Blissey already boasts a ton of support and it's possible to get wish on it already if you look around and heal bell is an egg move. So having a another specially defensive poke (even if it is bold) might be abit to much for a balanced or hyper offensive team imo."

I was trying to say that Gliscor is Physically defensive, and Blissey is specially defensive.

testing