• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Closed [CAP] No super effective moves [QC Reject 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loli-Shark

Pokémon Champion
Will Not Fall
Credits
Name: No more super effective moves (previously called STAB by my mistake)

Description: Here's the thing, I feel that the introduction of pokemon with no weaknesses was a great thing, and it was a shame it ended, so lets bring it back.

Reason: So we have Eelektross with levitate, but that is used in RU, because of it being kinda frail and slow, and in OU, there are much better scarf options, like a Victini or Jirachi etc. So if we involve similar pokes into the OU meta, it would change the dynamic. Landorus-T and Landorus-I (31.8% usage and 5.4% usage respectively) would be crippled against a bulky electric type levitator, Excadrill (10% usage) would be the same. Equally, some pokemon (which on average, are used are made slightly less effective, for example Gliscor (6.2% usage) and a few Heatran (22.6% usage) variants.To be honest, most earthquake or earth power users. I'm not saying that you need to make it a powerhouse, I feel that would be counter intuitive, so many people would use it as a staple, and it would probably move it out of OU and into Ubers. So it would have to be more defensively orientated, perhaps with moves that let it become powerful in certain requirements.

Other options could be a water/ground with sap sipper. There are a few pokemon with this typing, and even then, Mega Swampy is used most frequently in OU (and that in itself is a rarity). However, this could also change the meta, for example, a power whip Ferrothorn, (although rare in gen 6, with 20% usage as a pure pokemon) would be shut down quickly, as the more common leech seed would no longer be a factor in matches. Breloom would no longer be viable as a spore user (7.9% usage). The rare Mega Gallade would no longer be able to run leaf blade (5% usage), Mega Venusaur wouldn't be able to get health back from leech or giga drain (4.6% usage) and Mega Sceptile (which is slowly creeping into OU at 3.9% usage) could no longer leaf storm. It would be the same issue for a contrary Serperior, rendering it almost completely useless (no data on usage in OU). Gothitelle almost always carrying energy ball for the Rotom-W (4.4% usage) is just getting tiring. Again, like I said about the electric type with levitate, it would have to be more of a tank than a hard hitter, for the same reasons that people would use far too often.

In response to Marigi's comments on my initial submission, the idea isn't to create new roles, or new niches. It's to simply make it more varied. From these figures that I've used with actual data supplied by smogon and other sources, there are large amounts of pokemon being frequently used, like Landorus-T, or for hazards, Ferrothorn or Skarmory. These ideas are very limited to what can be done, that I agree, but it would force people to change their teams to account for it, or slightly alter one move to be able to cope with it. I'm sick of seeing the same Ferrothorn or the same Landorus-T. The same Heatran with stealth rocks and earth power. It's just creating variety. In my personal opinion, PU is a much more varied tier, perhaps due to the large number of pokemon available.

TL;DR: No, OU isn't very varied. This forces new team ideas or layouts rather than the overused OU pokemon that you see everyday.

Strawberries

Captain Mc. Salt'n
Donor
Journalist
Credits
This is create a Pokemon, not Change the game's Mechanics xD.
Sorry but to me this seems more like you're Changing the mechanics of the game, and not Creatng A Pokemon.

Loli-Shark

Pokémon Champion
Will Not Fall
Credits
This is create a Pokemon, not Change the game's Mechanics xD.
Sorry but to me this seems more like you're Changing the mechanics of the game, and not Creatng A Pokemon.

I get where you're coming from, but I mean, I have created a pokemon idea :p just the change in the meta if it was used would be quite large, thus changing the meta (at least on PPShowdown :p)

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
My current issue with this idea is that it won't take much for this thing to get banned. The issue is, if we nerf it too much, then it won't contribute to the metagame enough as it is. This is designed for OU - if we break it too much, there is no CAP Uber tier for it to go to.

Loli-Shark

Pokémon Champion
Will Not Fall
Credits
My current issue with this idea is that it won't take much for this thing to get banned. The issue is, if we nerf it too much, then it won't contribute to the metagame enough as it is. This is designed for OU - if we break it too much, there is no CAP Uber tier for it to go to.

Yeah, I know what you mean, and it's what I'm worried about too XD I mean, we could give them sub-standard moves, or maybe make them only be able to have one role, as a support or tank, making the only benefit of it maybe being able to toxic and rest. Like, the issue mainly comes with the moves, and even then, that'll partially depend on the design of the pokemon themselves. I could give it much more thought if I get to that stage, because I sure don't want them to be so overused that they get banned just because they're so powerful.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
The main aim of CAP is to make things with new niches. If yours is just to increase variation in a metagame where there is already tonnes of variation, it is not gonna be of any use. Sorry, but QC Reject 1/2

Also, regarding your subpar movepool/stats idea, that just means that it'll fall to the same fate as all the weaknessless pokemon in the past and become rather mediocre.

Last edited:

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
I'd like to hear a bit more about what this Pokemon would bring to the game. It seems like it could be interesting, but I'm just not feeling the creative juices churning with this one. In my mind we would just be building a better Elektross or a really niche grass check.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I'll be honest, I'm not seeing this Pokemon bring much to the OU metagame, and this could quite easily get out of hand if we emphasize too much on bulk or offence. This would mean it would have to be fairly balanced, meaning that it wouldn't really have too much of a presence on any team. This is why Eelektross is pretty subpar in OU - it has an amazing type + ability combo but it doesn't have any niche over other electric types like Mega Manectric and Rotom-W.

QC Reject 2/2

Status
Not open for further replies.