• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Closed [CAP] Rotom W Counter [QC Reject 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slashtalon21

Trouble Maker
Credits
Name: Rotom-w counter
Description of concept: A splashable which provides a 100% counter to rotom wash as well as some special atackers such as keldeo in the tier.
Reason for concept: the metagame arguably lacks a solid counter to rotom wash other than venusaur which doesn't work on every team. Rotom wash has had high usage since the start of the generation and without a counter it can easily cripple an entire team with will o wisp, volt switch and considerable bulk. Adding the rotom wash counter to the tier would cause a decrease in the usage of rotom wash and other special or volt switch mons. However this would cause an increase in the usage of talonflame as rotom wash is one of its only checks.

Strawberries

Captain Mc. Salt'n
Donor
Journalist
Credits
I agree with you, but we do have Blissey/Chansey that both completely wall Rotom-W, and can Toxic Stall/Force a switch. Also Gastrodon is a solid counter to Rotom-W, having an immunity to both of it's stabs (Assuming it's Storm Drain of Course) and can also Toxic Stall it/Force a switch. Other than that it looks you're fine but I wouldn't necessarily agree on this one. Besides, there are Pokemon that Rotom-W can't do anything to.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I agree with you, but we do have Blissey/Chansey that both completely wall Rotom-W, and can Toxic Stall/Force a switch. Also Gastrodon is a solid counter to Rotom-W, having an immunity to both of it's stabs (Assuming it's Storm Drain of Course) and can also Toxic Stall it/Force a switch. Other than that it looks you're fine but I wouldn't necessarily agree on this one. Besides, there are Pokemon that Rotom-W can't do anything to.
I think you've missed quite a bit of the concept idea. Blissey and Chansey can't really touch Rotom-W without the use of Toxic, and with the amount of Rest Rotom-W, that can easily be healed off. Pain Split is also a thing, alongside Will-o-Wisp - Rotom can also pivot out if necessary which gives the opposing side momentum. I think the concept of this idea is a more tanky, yet still attacking 'mon that can completely deal with Rotom-W as well as the other water types in the tier.

Mewtwo

Pokémon Champion
Credits
I use trvenant on my team. When I see a rotom trevenant does an excellent job of walling it. A lot of ppl ignore trevenant because he is UU but he is amazing in OU.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
I use trvenant on my team. When I see a rotom trevenant does an excellent job of walling it. A lot of ppl ignore trevenant because he is UU but he is amazing in OU.
Trevenant is abysmal in OU. Not only is it completely outclassed by Gorugeist-XL, but it is very poorly suited to the metagame due to its stats not allowing it to check the things that its typing implies it should. In addition, Trevenant is abysmal in UU, and really would be in PU if people used the better things instead of Trevenant: which only annoys a bit until its luck runs out.

Anyway, the main problem I see with this submission is that it doesn't really shake up the metagame that much. Not only is rotom-w something that teams naturally build checks and counters into themselves for, but it isn't even particularly difficult to deal with - being complete setup fodder for the prevelant Serperior.

Mewtwo

Pokémon Champion
Credits
I have to disagree with ur preference about trevenant because it's not even close to true. I use trevenant on my OU team and has checked so many things. U are also forgetting about his amazing ability harvest. So if u have him hold a sutrus berry he has a high chance to be getting back 1/4 of his health every turn. He can wall and cripple many threats easily.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
I have to disagree with ur preference about trevenant because it's not even close to true. I use trevenant on my OU team and has checked so many things. U are also forgetting about his amazing ability harvest. So if u have him hold a sutrus berry he has a high chance to be getting back 1/4 of his health every turn. He can wall and cripple many threats easily.
A: Its entire longevity relies on a 50:50 chance (hense "when its luck runs out")
B: Its bulk doesn't allow it to check anything reliably
C: It still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't do anything other than annoy for a few turns v.s. a competent player before its sitrus doesn't respawn and it dies.
D: It is still outclassed by Gourgeist-XL
E: It is weak to Knock Off and doesn't have the bulk to let it take on Bisharp reliably with Will-O, meanwhile it outpaces and OHKOs you:
252 Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trevenant: 468-552 (125.1 - 147.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
F: Bisharp also gets Pursuit, which still obliterates it and means that saving Trev isn't as easy as just switching.

Mewtwo

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Still Trevenant is bulky enough. All u have to do is set up leech seed. Then protect if u want to gain some health and trevenant is bulky enough to take some hits. Plus he can crippl attackers with wi I wisp. U just don't know how he works because u have probably have never used 1 judging buy what is saying about it. Try using a max IV 1 with the correct Ev spread and right moves then u eill c how amazing trevenant is.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Still Trevenant is bulky enough. All u have to do is set up leech seed. Then protect if u want to gain some health and trevenant is bulky enough to take some hits. Plus he can crippl attackers with wi I wisp. U just don't know how he works because u have probably have never used 1 judging buy what is saying about it. Try using a max IV 1 with the correct Ev spread and right moves then u eill c how amazing trevenant is.
85/76/82 isn't bulky in the slightest. It can't set up Leech Seed on a portion of the tier, and is still 2HKO'ed/OHKO'ed by a large part of the OU metagame. It may be able to take 1 or 2 hits, but then you Knock Off it's berry and it can't use Harvest to regain it, and it'll probably get KO'ed from the most prominent users of Knock Off in the first place. I have used Trev before, and it is completely outclassed by any other wall, grass type or wisper in the tier. It's also outclassed by Ferrothorn which a) isn't weak to Knock Off, and b) Can utilise entry hazards.

Mewtwo

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Well trevenant has been walling the mess out of most water types for me and I know it fits perfectly on my team. And if u think here are better wil o whispers. Please name some

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Well trevenant has been walling the mess out of most water types for me and I know it fits perfectly on my team. And if u think here are better wil o whispers. Please name some
Rotom-W - argument complete.

Gourgeist, Heatran, Gengar, Mew, Sableye, SpDef Talonflame, Rotom-H.

Also, I'm now banning Trevenant talk from this thread - let's get back on topic.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Now that we're back on-topic, I'm just gonna say that I've just remembered one of the biggest problems with this submission: a concept of "counters pokemon X" or "counters a large number of highly-ranked pokemon" is not very appropriate for CAP, and it falls with the same problems as the "fairy-type counter" concept that has been rejected already. Therefore, I am going to say QC Reject 1/2

Mewtwo

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Rotom-W - argument complete.

Gourgeist, Heatran, Gengar, Mew, Sableye, SpDef Talonflame, Rotom-H.

Also, I'm now banning Trevenant talk from this thread - let's get back on topic.
Thank u for banning this. It was getting quite annoying arguing.

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
Sadly I'm going to have to agree with Marigi on this one. Countering Pokemon X isn't really a concept worth building an entire Pokemon around. I love the enthusiasm though. Maybe for now try things like Celebi if you are really having issues with rotom in standard OU play. QC Reject 2/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

testing