• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active Competitive Tutoring!!!

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
New to the competitive battling scene? Do you need to know how to stop a pesky talonflame? Or do you just need some help with a moveset on your beloved Kangaskhan? Bring all your questions to this thread, and I, with the help of many others, will try to find the best answers too your needs!

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits

tesla

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Is is worth going after a gallade with misty terrain or keep both gallade and Gardevoir in my team? or is misty terrain not worth it with dragons?

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Is is worth going after a gallade with misty terrain or keep both gallade and Gardevoir in my team? or is misty terrain not worth it with dragons?
I think you should stick with safeguard, because misty terrain helps your opponent, and if you have gardevoir, dragons aren't a problem.

tesla

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
so even though misty terrain halves dragons atk it's not worth using? I was mostly looking to set up a team for the dragon gym.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
I don't think it is, unless if you don't plan on using status effects (which is a really bad idea). The misty terrain makes all grounded pokemon resistant to status effects. Also, the dragon resistance shouldn't be a problem, all gym leaders don't use moves of their type that often, due to them knowing they will be counter teamed. For this situation, misty terrain may be useful, but I feel that safeguard is always a better option.

tesla

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I was mostly going to use a monotype this time around for the dragon gym, but maybe add gardevior. would you specifically recommend any dragons besides tyranitar,garchomp, and dragonite?
my team at present is
all 6ivs
dragonite marval scale@metronome safeguard,earthquake,DD,outrage evs in atk and spd
tyaniatar sandstorm@assault vest crunch,stone edge,earthquake,ice beam atk and spd
garcomp rough skin@megastone outrage,earthquake,dragon claw,fire blast evs in atk and spd

Not sure about the last 2 or 3 slots.
would you recommend any good offensive+defense dragons besides tyranitar? also,does any item increase safeguard from 5 to 8?

should I add rain dance+blizzard to dragonite?

Last edited:

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
I was mostly going to use a monotype this time around for the dragon gym, but maybe add gardevior. would you specifically recommend any dragons besides tyranitar,garchomp, and dragonite?
my team at present is
all 6ivs
dragonite marval scale@metronome safeguard,earthquake,DD,outrage evs in atk and spd
tyaniatar sandstorm@assault vest crunch,stone edge,earthquake,ice beam atk and spd
garcomp rough skin@megastone outrage,earthquake,dragon claw,fire blast evs in atk and spd

would you recommend any good offensive+defense dragons besides tyranitar? also,does any item increase safeguard from 5 to 8?

Wait, are you creating the team as the gym leader, or are you challenging the gym?

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
my team at present is
all 6ivs

Dragonite is fine, for a Defensive dragon counter, mega charizard x has really high defense, along with attack. Noivern is super fast, and you could use a special attacker, and goodra is always a good pokemon to have. There is no item that lengthens safeguard... Sadly... You may want to take the mega stone from the chomp, due to its mega being slower than normal form, and using a dragon against dragons, you're gonna need speed. Choice scarf would be a MUCH better alternative. I like the metronome, but I don't think it is effected by outrage... Expert belt may be the charm to that set. The gardevoir is nice, I would definitely use it. The last two should be goodra and mega Zard X.

Snewgon

Pokémon Trainer
Credits

[Dnite]
Metronome isn't so good on dragonite - he won't be surviving long enough against other dragons to attack more than once or twice (unless you set up with dd and sweep, in which case you can still do better). Try a Haban berry, life orb/expert belt, or maybe lum berry (for outrage confusion). I can see blizzard (just this once) so you can deal with dragons better, but rain dance doesn't do anything for you, and ice beam is more reliable if you think you'll miss. If you go with a special ice-type move you'll want SpAtk in your EVs. Personally I'd just go for using physical dragon type moves, but this is your fight.
Also, safeguard isn't going to help you. Other dragons will just attack rather than status. I don't think dragons DO status anyway.

[T-tar]
Just so we're clear t-tar isn't a dragon and he's slow. Slower than almost every single dragon you're likely to see so it'd be better for his EVs to be in health rather than speed.

[Chomp]
Garchomp is pretty quick for a dragon, but his mega form isn't. Honestly I think slapping a choice scarf on him and then using outrage over and over is your best bet.

[Others]
If you choose to not use mega chomp you can use mega abomasnow. He's slow as dirt and most fire moves will wreck him, but if you get him in on a dragon that can't use fire (like haxorus) he'll definitely get at least 1 kill with a blizzard.
Azumarill is probably one of the best fairy-types available, and mega gardevoir can also fill in your mega spot and put in work doing it.
Greninja OHKOs a lot of frail dragon types, and rotom-W burns them (watch out for haxorus/kyurem-b though. They have abilities that negate levitate and can use ground moves on him).

Just my two cents, and I second Shadow's suggestion of Noivern. Didn't think of him until I peeked at his post.
I disagree on Goodra, unless you're really committed to using purely dragon types, but even then you might want to try Mence over our lord and master - he's soo slow.

tesla

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I always forget tyrantar isnt dragon. should I change tyranitar to HP and SPD then so it gets the evs + sandstorm+asaault vest? and would flygon be an ok addition if I'm keeping tyranitar anyway? I chose tyranitar mostly for the 100% SPD boost.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Do
I always forget tyrantar isnt dragon. should I change tyranitar to HP and SPD then? and would flygon be an ok addition if I'm keeping tyranitar anyway? I chose tyranitar mostly for the 100% SPD boost.
atk and hp on the t-tar, flygon is up to you

tesla

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
question,if two talonflame use quick guard or bravebird + gale wings it reverts to items + stats right? I wanted to use the fire gym, which I lost. But it was only because of talonflame. I will probably add mascargo in there as well.

Last edited:

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
How important are support type of moves in the competitive scene? Throughout my runs through these games I've pretty much been 95% offensive, mostly because up until now there was really only a need to beat the game, since there weren't online battles.

By "support" type moves, I just mean moves that don't deal any damage. These could be moves such as sand-attack, stun spore, dragon dance, etc.

Snewgon

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
How important are support type of moves in the competitive scene? Throughout my runs through these games I've pretty much been 95% offensive, mostly because up until now there was really only a need to beat the game, since there weren't online battles.

By "support" type moves, I just mean moves that don't deal any damage. These could be moves such as sand-attack, stun spore, dragon dance, etc.
Support moves are about half the game. In singles the moves that probably count most are: Hazards (spikes), healing moves (softboiled), boosting moves (dragon dance), and statuses (thunder-wave), and misc things like taunt. Some of these are better than others and I guess you could use any of them, but things that lower opponent's stats are usually not good, unless you have a specific reason for using them.

Hazards are [imo] the most important non-attacking moves. Stealth rock is literally the best move in the game, and no team is really competitive if you don't have something that can use it. This might be really confusing to you, since you've probably never seen the computer use it, but because the computer almost never switches, the hazard damage doesn't rack up. Even in the Battle Maison, where the computer is at its best, the only time you'll see a switch is when a pokemon is locked into a move that doesn't do damage, or when a natural cure pokemon is status'd. Real humans (especially in 6v6 matches) understand that they might need a poke for later and try to save it by switching. Switches tend to happen A LOT against good trainers, and if every switch causes damage it's a huge advantage.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits