• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Critique my current battle spot singles team?

Monique

Youngster Joey
Credits
I've been pretty sucessful in most battles with this team but there are some aspects where it seems to fall down in 3v3 matches.

I feel like I need more priority moves and I definitely want to change my trevenant out for something else since I don't feel it's fulfilling its role well enough.

Greninja @ life orb
Nature: Timid
ability: Protean
EVs: 252 sp.att, 252 speed, 4HP
U turn
Scald
Extrasensory
Dark Pulse

Greninja is one of my pivots and I often use him to scout since he's speedy, going into cleffable or goodra depending on the opponent. In doing so I get to hold onto him till later so he can clean up. I usually try to avoid running greninja and alakazam in the same battle since they're both very frail. I sometimes feel myself wishing I could fit an ice beam into its moveset but I definitely want to hold onto extrasensory (like I said, I never run greninja and alakazam together so I feel I need the coverage that extrasensory gives me).

Goodra @ assault vest
Nature: Modest
ability: Gooey
EVs: 252sp.att, 248HP, 8 def (I think?)
Fire blast
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Draco Meteor

I've only recently started running this set over my fully defensive goodra and I think I definitely prefer the extra power that this one has. I will usually switch into this from a u-turn if I'm facing a special attacker. Not got much else to say really. Goodra is goodra. xD

Treevenant @ sitrus berry
Nature: Impish
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 att, 172 def, 80 sp.def (I think these are its stats but I can't check ~_~)
Leech seed
Horn leech
Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Claw

Trevenant just isn't working out for me and I want to change it for something else. I already have cleffable which can deal with most physical attackers as it is. Something with a status inducing move eg. will-o-wisp would be ideal. I think I need another physical attacker in here somewhere instead, maybe something with priority moves. Let me know what you think.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 att, 248HP, 8 sp.def
Bullet Punch
Superpower
U-turn
Knock off

My other pivot, I sometimes like to lead with scizor if there aren't any fire types in my way. First turn I usually use knock off, followed by a U-turn if the opponent resists my moves to get the heck out. Usually if my opponent is faster but doesn't pose a threat to my scizor I end up U-turning out into alakazam or greninja to clean up wilst avoiding accidently killing greninja or breaking alakazam's sash on a hard switch. I hard switch out into goodra if the opponent has a fire type. Knock off has saved my skin a number of times. Bullet punch is a great stab move and I usually use if for cleaning up. Superpower deals with blissey and other special walls.

Cleffable @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP, 252 defense, 4 sp.att
Soft-boiled
Calm mind
Flamethrower
Moonblast

I've found that cleffable makes a pretty valuable partner for my more frail special attackers. It's great for handling both physical and special attackers. It's defensive enough to take a beating when hard-switching in too, and usually I hard switch into clefable if I think the opponent is going to use a status move or if my pivot isn't fast enough to outspeed (ie. scizor). People often seem to not know how to handle clefable, so I usually have no trouble in setting up with calm minds. I have the lefties for a bit of extra recovery but I'm thinking of running flame/toxic orb instead to prevent any annoying parahax/sleep that stops me dead in my tracks sometimes.

Alakazam @ focus sash
EVs: 252 sp.att 252 speed, 4HP
Focus blast
Shadow ball
Dazzling gleam
Psyshock

My favourite "suicide lead", though lately I've been keeping him in the back waiting to clean up after my bulkier pokemon have done their thing. I usually manage to get 2 kills from him at least. I don't think I've ever actually lost a game with alakazam, speaking of which. xD Focus sash combined with magic guard is just amazing, let me tell you. I run psyshock instead of psychic to deal with any special walls, especially since most of the pokemon on my team are special attackers. Without it, I would get horribly walled xD

Last edited:

nuclear tech 3

Youngster Joey
Credits
"I've been pretty sucessful in most battles with this team but there are some aspects where it seems to fall down in 3v3 matches.
I feel like I need more priority moves and I definitely want to change my trevenant out for something else since I don't feel it's fulfilling its role well enough.
Greninja @ life orb
ability: Protean
EVs: 252 sp.att, 252 speed, 4HP
U turn
Scald
Extrasensory
Dark Pulse
Greninja is one of my pivots and I often use him to scout since he's speedy, going into cleffable or goodra depending on the opponent. In doing so I get to hold onto him till later so he can clean up. I usually try to avoid running greninja and alakazam in the same battle since they're both very frail. I sometimes feel myself wishing I could fit an ice beam into its moveset but I definitely want to hold onto extrasensory (like I said, I never run greninja and alakazam together so I feel I need the coverage that extrasensory gives me).
Goodra @ assault vest
Nature: Modest
ability: Gooey
EVs: 252sp.att, 248HP, 8 def (I think?)
Fire blast
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Draco Meteor
I've only recently started running this set over my fully defensive goodra and I think I definitely prefer the extra power that this one has. I will usually switch into this from a u-turn if I'm facing a special attacker. Not got much else to say really. Goodra is goodra. xD
Treevenant @ sitrus berry
Nature: Impish
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 att, 172 def, 80 sp.def (I think these are its stats but I can't check ~_~)
Leech seed
Horn leech
Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Claw
Trevenant just isn't working out for me and I want to change it for something else. I already have cleffable which can deal with most physical attackers as it is. Something with a status inducing move eg. will-o-wisp would be ideal. I think I need another physical attacker in here somewhere instead, maybe something with priority moves. Let me know what you think.
Scizor @ Scizorite
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 att, 248HP, 8 sp.def
Bullet Punch
Superpower
U-turn
Knock off
My other pivot, I sometimes like to lead with scizor if there aren't any fire types in my way. First turn I usually use knock off, followed by a U-turn if the opponent resists my moves to get the heck out. Usually if my opponent is faster but doesn't pose a threat to my scizor I end up U-turning out into alakazam or greninja to clean up wilst avoiding accidently killing greninja or breaking alakazam's sash on a hard switch. I hard switch out into goodra if the opponent has a fire type. Knock off has saved my skin a number of times. Bullet punch is a great stab move and I usually use if for cleaning up. Superpower deals with blissey and other special walls.
Cleffable @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 252 defense, 4 sp.att
Soft-boiled
Calm mind
Flamethrower
Moonblast
I've found that cleffable makes a pretty valuable partner for my more frail special attackers. It's great for handling both physical and special attackers. It's defensive enough to take a beating when hard-switching in too, and usually I hard switch into clefable if I think the opponent is going to use a status move or if my pivot isn't fast enough to outspeed (ie. scizor). People often seem to not know how to handle clefable, so I usually have no trouble in setting up with calm minds. I have the lefties for a bit of extra recovery but I'm thinking of running flame/toxic orb instead to prevent any annoying parahax/sleep that stops me dead in my tracks sometimes.
Alakazam @ focus sash
EVs: 252 sp.att 252 speed, 4HP
Focus blast
Shadow ball
Dazzling gleam
Psyshock
My favourite "suicide lead", though lately I've been keeping him in the back waiting to clean up after my bulkier pokemon have done their thing. I usually manage to get 2 kills from him at least. I don't think I've ever actually lost a game with alakazam, speaking of which. xD Focus sash combined with magic guard is just amazing, let me tell you. I run psyshock instead of psychic to deal with any special walls, especially since most of the pokemon on my team are special attackers. Without it, I would get horribly walled xD"

It looks pretty good, but I agree with you about having priority moves. For example, priority moves could easily clean up some pokes on your team in one move, as greninja has terrible defense/sp def. Basically if it doesn't go first you have a dead frog. I use a slightly different move set with some of these pokes but the difference is negligible. Id say your team just needs some fine tuning, and as I've learned, you really just have to experiment with different things and slightly manipulate your team each time until you are confidante that you can counter anything that your opponent through out at you. And remember, you cant always win. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

Matt_Landers

Youngster Joey
Credits
Three physical attackers with a priority move that I can think of are Arcanine, Dragonite and Lucario. All three extreme can be very helpful to finish opponents off.

The problem with that is, you would be replacing one of those three with your Grass/Ghost and that would leave a gaping whole for dealing with water type pokemon (other than Goodra with Thunderbolt). One suggestion would be instead of Greninja knowing extrasensory, teach it Grass Knot. Also if you picked Arcanine, he can learn wild charge.

Monique

Youngster Joey
Credits
thanks for the help guys :) I'll try out grass knot on my greninja and see how it goes. I've also swapped out my trevenant for a choice scarf mamoswine. I have yet to test him out to see how he meshes with the team though:

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly nature
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 att, 252 speed, 4HP
Ice shard
Icicle crash
Earthquake
Stone edge

Monique

Youngster Joey
Credits
Another good set up for Mamoswine is instead of Stone Edge, going with Stealth Rock.

I do have a stealth rock mamo but I much prefer the choice scarf set. If I ran stealth rock, mamoswine would need to have a focus sash, and I would much rather keep my sash on my alakazam. :/

Last edited:

testing