• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Does showdown have more hax than wifi?

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
So after this happening to me : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-227412847

I am starting to think the whole conspiracy about showdown having more hax than wifi is true. I have done several hundred battles on showdown and I have come to the conclusion that hax happen more often than not when it comes. As a test to see whether it is a placebo or actually inaccurate %s my friend and I made teams with starmies that had scald and regular chanseys and did 10 battles to see how many times scald would burn. Scald was used 140 times, and burned 60 times. This round up to 43% burn chance. Could this be random chance that it averaged to so high, or is showdown bias towards increased status effects/misses?

Let me know your opinion.

Chewiecashew

Youngster Joey
Credits
Something peculiar about the replay was that against the para flinch togekiss all of the immobilizes against you were flinches, none were full paralyzes. Naturally with serene grace air slash would have 60% flinch rate but you were hit 7 times each time flinching, not being paralyzed or attacking. Kings rock gives 10% flinch rate to moves that don't naturally have flinch chance perhaps showdown implicated kings rock incorrectly and forgot to disable its effect for moves that can flinch, if so then it is possible for togekiss to get 60. % from airs lash and 20% from kings rock. Giving it a huge 80% flinch? I'm not sure just speculation

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
Something peculiar about the replay was that against the para flinch togekiss all of the immobilizes against you were flinches, none were full paralyzes. Naturally with serene grace air slash would have 60% flinch rate but you were hit 7 times each time flinching, not being paralyzed or attacking. Kings rock gives 10% flinch rate to moves that don't naturally have flinch chance perhaps showdown implicated kings rock incorrectly and forgot to disable its effect for moves that can flinch, if so then it is possible for togekiss to get 60. % from airs lash and 20% from kings rock. Giving it a huge 80% flinch? I'm not sure just speculation

It does not add . 60% with serence grace is the highest. It happened 5 times. 0.6/5.0 = 12% chance for that happening.

Jestie

Youngster Joey
Credits
Hahaha... How much hair did you pull out for that bull?
10/10

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
It feels like it, but it has the same formula used to determine hax as the games do. It just feels more common because you play a significantly higher number of battles in a shorter period of time, bringing the sensation of "being on tilt" into existence. The chances of hax are independent of one another, so 6 in every 10 is not usually the case. For 7 Air Slashes, the chance of every one of them flinching is 0.6^7=0.0279936, or 2.79936%. It is low, but it is still more likely than not flinching but paralyzing on 2-3 of them.

Last edited:

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Technically speaking it's the same percentage chances for all moves. Why would Showdown calc things different to in-game? It would be a completely biased representation xD

But yeah, from experience in the finals of Wi-Fi tournies, I'd say the hax is pretty balanced between the two xD

testing