• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Dragonite Moveset

batmanrises

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I am trying to build a team around a Dragonite. Right now I have an adamant Dratini with marvel Scale. I was wondering what moves would be good for him as an attacker.
I can't decide right now between:
Extreme Speed
Fire Punch (For Ice/Steel)
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Earthquake (Electric/anything else)

I obviously can't have all five, so I was wondering if you guys could help. I was thinking the rest of my team would be:
Gengar (Special Attack)
Sylveon
Umbreon
Blaziken
Skarmory/Metagross (I am not sure yet)

If you have any advise on the moveset or the team, please help. I am new to this and am trying to get my first competitive team together.

Thanks

Ruby

Youngster Joey
Credits
Not many people use Ice Types from what I've seen, Personally I think you would benefit a lot more through the Earthquake over Ice Punch. Dragonite has a pretty high Attack swell, So a Dragon Dance and Earthquake will go pretty Strong.

Here's another movies you could think about too!
Dragonite @Choice Band
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Ev's: 252 Attack / 4 Defence / 252 Speed
-Outrage
-Firepunch
-Extreme Speed
-Earthquake

Sewage

Pokémon Champion
Will Not Fall
Donor
Journalist
Credits
Not many people use Ice Types from what I've seen, Personally I think you would benefit a lot more through the Earthquake over Ice Punch. Dragonite has a pretty high Attack swell, So a Dragon Dance and Earthquake will go pretty Strong.

Here's another movies you could think about too!
Dragonite @Choice Band
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Ev's: 252 Attack / 4 Defence / 252 Speed
-Outrage
-Firepunch
-Extreme Speed
-Earthquake
Fire punch (what I think you meant when you said ice punch), can be good to hit steel types that switch in on dragonite that aren't necessarily weak to EQ like Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Scizor. I would probably run fire punch but EQ is still a viable option.

batmanrises

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Ok. I guess I will just have to mull that one over. Anyone found one of those moves less helpful in a match?

Also, can you guys help me with the rest of my team? Here was my anticipated move set for Gengar:
Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse
Giga Drain or Energy Ball (Which is Better?)
Psychic
Sludge Bomb
Thunderbolt

I am not sure which of these to drop either.

Lastly, I don't have the others' moves picked out, I chose them for type coverage. Any recommendations for Gengar's moves and my other Pokemon? I will post an anticipated moveset on the others as soon as I figure them out.

Update: I added Thuderbolt to Gengar's potential moves. I forgot about that one. Thanks, Sewage!

Last edited:

Sewage

Pokémon Champion
Will Not Fall
Donor
Journalist
Credits
Ok. I guess I will just have to mull that one over. Anyone found one of those moves less helpful in a match?

Also, can you guys help me with the rest of my team? Here was my anticipated move set for Gengar:
Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse
Giga Drain or Energy Ball (Which is Better?)
Psychic
Sludge Bomb

I am not sure which of these to drop either.

Lastly, I don't have the others' moves picked out, I chose them for type coverage. Any recommendations for Gengar's moves and my other Pokemon? I will post an anticipated moveset on the others as soon as I figure them out.
Dark pulse doesn't really get you any added type coverage that you don't get with other moves so I can't say I would recommend that. You can run Sludge Wave over Sludge Bomb for a little extra power, and Energy Ball over Giga Drain for Gengar. Other moves people like to run on Gengar are Thunderbolt and Dazzling Gleam. I usually run Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave, Dazzling Gleam and Thunderbolt but I've used Energy Ball before too.

testing