• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

EA Disses Nintendo In Cruel April Fools Joke

EA Disses Nintendo In Cruel April Fools Joke

By Mynor1
Published 
As April 1st has past and days go on, people love to reminisce on great April Fools jokes. From capturing Pokemon on Google Maps to Pokemon Showdown reskinning all their pokemon for a day, this year was pretty great. One joke went bad though, which came from the software publish Electronic Arts. In several tweets made to put down the Wii U's hardware, EA poked fun at Ninendo and the Wii U's weaker hardware. EA tweeted:

"Frostbite now runs on the #WiiU since it is the most powerful Gen4 platform, our renderer is now optimized for Mario and Zelda."

"Frostbite will power #HalfLife3, coming out summer 2014! #WiiU exclusive."

"Good news, we have finally fixed and optimized our 'netcode'. Uses quantum entanglement for Zero Latency connections. Exclusively on #WiiU."

Was this all in fun or was this really a shot at Nintendo? Do you think Nintendo's Wii U is really THAT bad? What was your favorite April Fool's joke of this year? Comment below and let us know your thoughts!

Update!: An official apology has been posted by EA's CEO stating:

"Our apologies to partners @NintendoAmerica & fan @FrostbiteEngine ’s poor attempt at April Fools not condoned by EA : unacceptable/ stupid"

Our Sources: https://twitter.com/EA

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
My boyfriend was just telling me about this. It's kind of a douche move. I feel like it's a common feeling and attitude that the WiiU was simply not a successful system, but I don't think that makes it fair to mock it, y'know? I don't think anyone at Nintendo is actually going to be butthurt over it, but it's still something that just seems kind of rude - especially coming from EA, the company of utter release disasters.

The fact that EA released Sim City as one of the worst online-only titles in the history of video games, and their greedy version of "free to play" with SWTOR, in combination with BF4's terrible servers and unsustainable multiplayer at launch, EA really has no room to talk. Their games as of late have been worse than the WiiU's launch - the only reason EA can talk is because they still make enough money to stay afloat (but that doesn't mean they're any good).

Mynor1

Hot Stuff
Staff member
Admin
Credits
My boyfriend was just telling me about this. It's kind of a douche move. I feel like it's a common feeling and attitude that the WiiU was simply not a successful system, but I don't think that makes it fair to mock it, y'know? I don't think anyone at Nintendo is actually going to be butthurt over it, but it's still something that just seems kind of rude - especially coming from EA, the company of utter release disasters.

The fact that EA released Sim City as one of the worst online-only titles in the history of video games, and their greedy version of "free to play" with SWTOR, in combination with BF4's terrible servers and unsustainable multiplayer at launch, EA really has no room to talk. Their games as of late have been worse than the WiiU's launch - the only reason EA can talk is because they still make enough money to stay afloat (but that doesn't mean they're any good).
It is definitely rude and Nintendo has already stated in a few of their interviews that the Wii U was not a successful system but they will not let it die but rather push it forward. I think Iwata might be a bit butthurt though. It was reported he has cried a few times and even thrown punches at stock buyers for saying bad things about the system and his company :p This is definitely unprofessional from EA though.

And I agree, this is like if Activision would call someone else out for having terrible servers when not one Call of Duty launch has been successful server wise. Even if they had a reason to talk though, it takes a bigger person to let it die rather than poke fun at it.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
The Wii U is a joke, due to terible sales. This is due to three reasons: the name, the design, and the advertising. The name wa just an attempt to piggyback off of the great sales the wii had, but it isn't as funny anymore. Wii U just sounds like te siren of a po-po vehicle. The design is the same thing as the wii, but side ways. It uses the same controllers, and the only thing going for it is the gamepad! Every Nintendo console up to this point has been original! (Except for the SNES) the advertising was terrible, did you see any commercials for it? NO! But everyone remembers the commercial for the wii of the japenese guy going to your house saying "wii wii" and playing the system! The way Nintendo introduced te wii was absolute ASS! They deserve to get made fun of, and they know it. Iwata and other guy(forgot his name) cut their salary in HALF because of how bad they are doing! I think it was okay to make fun of them. The Wii U won't get any respect until SSB4 and MK8...

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Even though I said that, I want one SOOO BAD!

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
The Wii U is a joke, due to terible sales. This is due to three reasons: the name, the design, and the advertising. The name wa just an attempt to piggyback off of the great sales the wii had, but it isn't as funny anymore. Wii U just sounds like te siren of a po-po vehicle. The design is the same thing as the wii, but side ways. It uses the same controllers, and the only thing going for it is the gamepad! Every Nintendo console up to this point has been original! (Except for the SNES) the advertising was terrible, did you see any commercials for it? NO! But everyone remembers the commercial for the wii of the japenese guy going to your house saying "wii wii" and playing the system! The way Nintendo introduced te wii was absolute ASS! They deserve to get made fun of, and they know it. Iwata and other guy(forgot his name) cut their salary in HALF because of how bad they are doing! I think it was okay to make fun of them. The Wii U won't get any respect until SSB4 and MK8...

I just want to throw this out there - for someone who like to stick up for the underdog who is getting made fun of, I think you should reconsider what you're saying. As a company - regardless of it being a group of people instead of an individual - it still hurts every person involved when they get mocked. Nintendo knows they did bad, so is it necessary to rub it in their face? I don't think so. I think it's childish and immature - which is exactly what EA seems to be as a company.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
I just want to throw this out there - for someone who like to stick up for the underdog who is getting made fun of, I think you should reconsider what you're saying. As a company - regardless of it being a group of people instead of an individual - it still hurts every person involved when they get mocked. Nintendo knows they did bad, so is it necessary to rub it in their face? I don't think so. I think it's childish and immature - which is exactly what EA seems to be as a company.
True! But they have done amazing with everything, because they try hard, but it seems like they went, "EEEHHHHH... We did fine last time, we will do okay". And then did mediocre...

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
True! But they have done amazing with everything, because they try hard, but it seems like they went, "EEEHHHHH... We did fine last time, we will do okay". And then did mediocre...

Yeah, they did, and they know it was a bad decision. I'm personally more disappointed in EA for stooping down to such a low level. It just shows what kind of company they've become.

Mynor1

Hot Stuff
Staff member
Admin
Credits
I think they could've done more but they know this as well. They now know what happens when they don't actually upgrade hardware and try to "bring the family together in the same room". It doesn't work anymore, people don't have the time to just go over and play games anymore. It is still unprofessional what a PARTNERED company did though.

testing