• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active Mega Mawile - Is it really as bad as the council make out?

After reading the thread, do you still think Mega Mawile should be banned?

• Yes

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • I don't use it/see it so it doesn't effect me

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Loli-Shark

Pokémon Champion
Will Not Fall
Credits
So, it's me. This was inevitable really huh. The fairy leader gets crippled because of a ban on Mega Mawile. Arguably, the only pokemon I can use to survive poison users that can do damage.

http://pastebin.com/zF5ZGi4i

Had to use pastebin because of the length, but thank you for taking the time to read it.

~LoliShark

GiaQuando

The Great Tactician
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I am so 1000% agreeing with this!
We have bigger threats that aren't banned cause ppl don't use them and are more ''complicated'' still they go and ban this cause someone had a bad experience or doesn't like it ignoring how it may affect the gyms
Bring back Mawile before we create a RIOT!

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Yes. We are almighty dictators who are hell-bent on crippling gyms.

Edit: seriously though we banned it because it is aids in OU. If that is to your distast entirely based on a gym then quite frankly you need to grow a funning spine and realise that we don't ban things based on whether people want to be able to abuse a blatantly broken loophole. Quite frankly fairy is a borked type in terms of the type chart anyway so I'm sure you'll cope.

Last edited:

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Right.

1) I left the thread itself open for dicussion - this is an unnecessary thread

2) I am sick and tired of people basing their arguments on their damn gyms. This is an issue we have in the council and it really doesn't help in suspect tests when people go 'oh shit, now I can't use [insert Pokemon here]. I know it's broken but I want my Uber as well.' NO. Deal with the OU metagame, and base your gym team off of it. You have Klefki to deal with Poison types to a certain extent, and the metagame isn't going to adapt to your gym.

3) Let's go through your counters one by one shall we?
  • It doesn't even matter: Many Ubers (see Deoxys-N, Deoxys-A, Darkrai) all have plenty of checks and counters in the OU metagame, but they are banned for their sheer strength in the metagame, amount of sets they have, or their positive traits are just so so SO much better than their negative traits
  • Secondly, you're running 16+ Mega Mawile which is the Ubers set. OU is 252+.
  • +2 Sucker Punch kills Metagross. End of argument; not a counter. Seeing as the most common set is Substitute, even if you don't have SD, you're guaranteed 2 hits after you get a sub up so Metagross goes down.
  • Your point about Mega Scizor is gym related so I ignored it
  • Heatran is countered by SubPunch, the most common Mawile set and the reason it's broken. 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 588-692 (152.7 - 179.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • Your point with Gliscor just proves that Sub 252+ takes it out in 2 hits. Roost stall is irrelevant as well as Play Rough can do more than 62%, not to mention that YOU DON'T TAKE ON GLISCOR WITH MEGA MAWILE. FACT.
  • Landorus-T switches in on a Sub and Mawile isn't intimidated. Mawile and Lando -T lead so Lando-T gets intimidated as well. If you have a sub up and Lando-T comes in: 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 295-348 (92.4 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (Even more of a chance after Rocks)
  • Quagsire, Gastrodon and Alomomola are extremely passive and only belong on stall. Fact.
Anything else?

Last edited:

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
Is mega scizor really even worth mentioning when fire fang is a popular skill filler on mawile and it ohkos scizor....

also heatran. hello....sub punch? Everyone who runs mawile expect heatran...

Nenkendo

Youngster Joey
Credits
bye mega Mawhile i loved you.
You Will Be Dearly Missed By All
Hope that we will all be able to see your face agin in ou but for now you are broken as f**k.
Hope that sun and moon fixes that and you will be at your rightfull place.
Love All Mawhile lovers

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
@Matt_192 being super knitpicky and the point about passiveness still stands before its got a few Curses under its belt, but Gastrodon sees lots of use on balance: not just stall.

Either way tho yeah, matt basically covered everything here. If you still aren't willing to let this thing go then idk what to say, cause this shit is borked.

Loli-Shark

Pokémon Champion
Will Not Fall
Credits
Right.

1) I left the thread itself open for dicussion - this is an unnecessary thread

2) I am sick and tired of people basing their arguments on their damn gyms. This is an issue we have in the council and it really doesn't help in suspect tests when people go 'oh shit, now I can't use [insert Pokemon here]. I know it's broken but I want my Uber as well.' NO. Deal with the OU metagame, and base your gym team off of it. You have Klefki to deal with Poison types to a certain extent, and the metagame isn't going to adapt to your gym.

3) Let's go through your counters one by one shall we?
  • It doesn't funning matter: Many Ubers (see Deoxys-N, Deoxys-A, Darkrai) all have plenty of checks and counters in the OU metagame, but they are banned for their sheer strength in the metagame, amount of sets they have, or their positive traits are just so so SO much better than their negative traits
  • Secondly, you're running 16+ Mega Mawile which is the Ubers set. OU is 252+.
  • +2 Sucker Punch kills Metagross. End of argument; not a counter. Seeing as the most common set is Substitute, even if you don't have SD, you're guaranteed 2 hits after you get a sub up so Metagross goes down.
  • Your point about Mega Scizor is gym related so I ignored it
  • Heatran is countered by SubPunch, the most common Mawile set and the reason it's broken. 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 588-692 (152.7 - 179.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • Your point with Gliscor just proves that Sub 252+ takes it out in 2 hits. Roost stall is irrelevant as well as Play Rough can do more than 62%, not to mention that YOU DON'T TAKE ON GLISCOR WITH MEGA MAWILE. FACT.
  • Landorus-T switches in on a Sub and Mawile isn't intimidated. Mawile and Lando -T lead so Lando-T gets intimidated as well. If you have a sub up and Lando-T comes in: 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 295-348 (92.4 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (Even more of a chance after Rocks)
  • Quagsire, Gastrodon and Alomomola are extremely passive and only belong on stall. Fact.
Anything else?

Well look, you did the calcs based on a standard mega mawile. That's cool. But honestly, By saying this is an unnecessary thread, I think you're being too closed minded. The way I see it - and this is why there is a poll - I give my arguments how it isn't a problem for common OU and people can counter argue and all that jazz. It's good, let's me see if I'm being unreasonable. But I don't think I am. And others who are of the similar mind to me say no in the poll.

Surely, if the poll gets enough attention and has a weighted vote on one end of the spectrum, then for the community, it's better for it to be free. That is, if the community wants to keep it around.

If the community refuses then I'll be quietly fuming away, but accepting that it deserves the ban. Power to the people, eh?

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
@Matt_192 being super knitpicky and the point about passiveness still stands before its got a few Curses under its belt, but Gastrodon sees lots of use on balance: not just stall.

Either way tho yeah, matt basically covered everything here. If you still aren't willing to let this thing go then idk what to say, cause this shit is borked.
Yeah, I realised this while typing but just wanted to finish the post lmao aha. But yeah, I love Gastro a hell of a tonne, but passiveness blah blah mMaw is broken

Well look, you did the calcs based on a standard mega mawile. That's cool. But honestly, By saying this is an unnecessary thread, I think you're being too closed minded. The way I see it - and this is why there is a poll - I give my arguments how it isn't a problem for common OU and people can counter argue and all that jazz. It's good, let's me see if I'm being unreasonable. But I don't think I am. And others who are of the similar mind to me say no in the poll.

Surely, if the poll gets enough attention and has a weighted vote on one end of the spectrum, then for the community, it's better for it to be free. That is, if the community wants to keep it around.

If the community refuses then I'll be quietly fuming away, but accepting that it deserves the ban. Power to the people, eh?
1) "Well look, you did the calcs based on a standard mega mawile. That's cool" Was there a follow-up to this or was that just a closed point?

2) The poll is the only reason why you needed a thread made, but fair enough

3) I'd love to know these 5 people that voted against the ban. My guess is the Steel-gym leader and another 3 salty people

4) Not really, and for a number of reasons:
  • First and foremost, we have no idea who said no as that's how you set up the poll. However, I can almost guarantee the people that said Yes: Me, Martin, Cj, Eric and probably Bruh. The issue with this is that whilst we know the people that said yes are competent players (they're in the tiering council, that kinda proves its own point), we have no idea who said no and if we should take their opinions completely at face value.
  • Whilst I agree that community should have input, that is primarily for suspect testing. If the council calls a vote and EVERYONE (and I literally mean everyone) votes to ban it, then as the 9 top players of the site are calling to ban it then it's clear that it's broken in the meta
  • I direct you to @Marigi174 's thread which calls people to stop basing tiering decisions on gyms - end of.

BlazingInfernape

Pokémon Champion
Team Elite
Credits
Yeah, I realised this while typing but just wanted to finish the post lmao aha. But yeah, I love Gastro a hell of a tonne, but passiveness blah blah mMaw is broken

1) "Well look, you did the calcs based on a standard mega mawile. That's cool" Was there a follow-up to this or was that just a closed point?

2) The poll is the only reason why you needed a thread made, but fair enough

3) I'd love to know these 5 people that voted against the ban. My guess is the Steel-gym leader and another 3 salty people

4) Not really, and for a number of reasons:
  • First and foremost, we have no idea who said no as that's how you set up the poll. However, I can almost guarantee the people that said Yes: Me, Martin, Cj, Eric and probably Bruh. The issue with this is that whilst we know the people that said yes are competent players (they're in the tiering council, that kinda proves its own point), we have no idea who said no and if we should take their opinions completely at face value.
  • Whilst I agree that community should have input, that is primarily for suspect testing. If the council calls a vote and EVERYONE (and I literally mean everyone) votes to ban it, then as the 9 top players of the site are calling to ban it then it's clear that it's broken in the meta
  • I direct you to @Marigi174 's thread which calls people to stop basing tiering decisions on gyms - end of.
I totally agree with you here Matt. I'm steel type gym and without MMawile I will have a few issues but I'll counter them with other pokemon that I can. MMawile is a big threat in OU and I appreciate the ban on it. Also I voted Yes so it wasn't me.

If you are unhappy with it why not join the tiering council so you can help make these decisions yourself. I'm Steel Type gym leader and I could struggle without it. I am however releasing it is for the best for the site and will find appropriate counters to it.

Bruh

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
  1. 4 minutes ago -
  2. Matt_192:
  3. 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 244-292 (101.2 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  4. 4 minutes ago - Matt_192:
    Right
  5. 4 minutes ago - Matt_192:
    This doesn't look too great
  6. 4 minutes ago - Matt_192:
    But the Mawile is level 50 and the Diancie is level 100.
  7. 4 minutes ago - Matt_192:
    NUFF SAID
DROP THE funning MIC.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Well based on the first reply to the thread one of them is Gia, which says a lot about the reliability of the poll

You need a BRN HEAL? 'Cause you just got roasted.

Btw @Matt_192 I hadn't voted when you made that post, meaning that someone else made up that fifth vote (I am now 1 out of 7 voters, but at the time I was not).

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Well based on the first reply to the thread one of them is Gia, which says a lot about the reliability of the poll

You need a BRN HEAL? 'Cause you just got roasted.

Btw @Matt_192 I hadn't voted when you made that post, meaning that someone else made up that fifth vote (I am now 1 out of 7 voters, but at the time I was not).
Oh rip k.

I doubt it was Gia - the post seemed wayyy too sarcastic

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Eh i don't pick up on text-based sarcasm well so sorry if i misinterpreted it Gia. I was also joking with the whole reliability thing so don't take it too seriously :p

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
Shedninja counters most kyogres, but I think we can all agree that kyogre is still an uber through and through. The only relevant checks to mawile are ground types and Heatran, neither of which can actually switch in on mawile.