• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Need help building a sand team

PokemonFan

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I'm currently working on a sand-based team that rely heavy on hard-hitting mons to win. So far i'm able to gather the following pokemon:
1. Hippowdon - Sand Stream - Smooth Rock
Impish nature - 252hp/100 def/156 sp.def
Earthquake - Stealth Rock - Slack Off - Yawn
The sand setter for the team and defensive pivot of need be. Basically send off on the first turn, then SR if any opposing mons have any SR weakness or Yawn to create free switch in for the sweeper.
2. Garchomp - Sand Veil - Garchomprite
Jolly - 252 atk/4def/252 spd
Earthquake - Dragon Claw - Stone Edge - Sword Dance
The Mega Evolution of the team and its main task is crushing through team with heavy moves power up by the sand and possible a SD boost too. The Sand Veil ability is chosen because it proived some free chances to swich in for free
3. Excadrill - Sand Rush - Air Ballon
Adamant - 252atk/4def/252spd
Earthquake - Iron Head - Rock Slide - Sword Dance
The revenge killer and back up sweeper. SR Excadrill is a total beast with sand support that can tear through team that rely on fast and frail pokemon. The Air Ballon is nice that its give him a chance to switch in on EQ and get a SD boost as well.
4. Magnezone - Magnet Pull - Choice Specs
Modest - 194hp/252sp.atk/64spd
Thunderbolt-Volt Switch - Flash Cannon - HP Fire
The UFO main purpose is to trap and kill any air steel that give the team trouble - esp Skarmory. 64 spd ensure the it will outspeed the steel bird to trap and take it down. Its also the heavy special nuke that can beat most water and ice or fairy pokemon that tend to trouble for the team
5. Clefable - Magic Guard - Leftovers
Calm - 252hp/252def/4sp.def
Moon Blast - Wish - Heal Bell- Protect
The cleric for the team since this team quite relied on physical based mon and if they get burn its not funny at all. Magic Guard is amazing not only it shield Clefable from sand damage its also make this team quite resistance on SR and status so a spinner not really needed Its also act as the defensive pivot for incoming fighting type attack that can kill Excadrill or Zone. Is it more good if it change Toxic for Protect on him?
6 .???
Haven't deciced yet. Since this team weakness is fighting/Ground and ice i want a poke that can resist those type. If it also take no damage from sand is even better. Your opinions?
Also your choice on the whole team? Is any member not suite for this? You want to replace something so the team can be better?

Last edited:

badgey

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I'd use tyranitar

badgey

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
What about gliscor

PokemonFan

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
What about gliscor
Quite a nice choice but with him, there only 3 attacking poke the other are more suite to stall. Is that all right?
Not to mention, he 4x ice weakness too, same as Garchomp so a fast water type like Keldeo can really spell doom to the team

badgey

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I know talon flame will take damage from sand but it covers ice and fighting

PokemonFan

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I know talon flame will take damage from sand but it covers ice and fighting
It not really cover ice. But which version of talonflame you mention? A choice set or a setup set?
What about Lucario or Ryperior?
Rhyperior is, really a same as Garchomp or Excadrill but pack with more weakeness so its really not suite for this team
Lucario, on other hand with a Focus Sash can really good since it had strong prioty.
I currently thinking about Assult Vest Goodra. Yes he's weak to ice but not really 4x and he cover the Grass, water weekness for the team and a special tank that can hit really hard. What do you think?

badgey

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Talon flame with flare blitz

Jord

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
It not really cover ice. But which version of talonflame you mention? A choice set or a setup set?

Rhyperior is, really a same as Garchomp or Excadrill but pack with more weakeness so its really not suite for this team
Lucario, on other hand with a Focus Sash can really good since it had strong prioty.
I currently thinking about Assult Vest Goodra. Yes he's weak to ice but not really 4x and he cover the Grass, water weekness for the team and a special tank that can hit really hard. What do you think?

I did some research and you should check out this link:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/sandstorm_teams

PokemonFan

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Talon flame with flare blitz
Well, cover ice here i mean switch in for an incoming ice attack like ice beam, not dealing with ice type pokemon (they're rare). Talonflame part flying so it take neutral damage, and most ice attack really coming from water type pokemon which talonflame can't really deal with
I did some research and you should check out this link:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/sandstorm_teams
They're good but a little outdate (only cover up to gen 4)

matt

Pokémon Champion
Credits
you could put a lando in with def EVs that'll cover the ground and fighting weaknesses but it has a 4x ice weakness

you could also consider swapping mzone for ferrothorn so u can have 2 damage over times (sandstorm + leechseed )

or you could swap mzone with a physically defense skarmory with rocky helmet that covers most of ur issues

however if you do consider swapping mzone u would still need a sixth hmm

If you take the mega stone off garchomp and replace it with a choice band and run a more aggressive set then you could add a mega alakzam to ur team

PokemonFan

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
you could put a lando in with def EVs that'll cover the ground and fighting weaknesses but it has a 4x ice weakness

you could also consider swapping mzone for ferrothorn so u can have 2 damage over times (sandstorm + leechseed )

or you could swap mzone with a physically defense skarmory with rocky helmet that covers most of ur issues

however if you do consider swapping mzone u would still need a sixth hmm

If you take the mega stone off garchomp and replace it with a choice band and run a more aggressive set then you could add a mega alakzam to ur team
I want to be more offensive so i like some hard hitting pokemon
But your opinions have a thing. May be i should make a choice Garchomp and find another Mega

Combustiblelimes

Pokémon Champion
Credits
A nice offensive, bulky water type might be good. Swampert, with its high Atk, and Defenses, as well as a secondary Mega just in case. Rotom-W could also work, as it has a good typing as well as the ability to burn. Azumarill if you want priority Aqua Jet and a good attacker if you put Belly Drum or Huge Power on it. It's up to you in the end.

PokemonFan

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
A nice offensive, bulky water type might be good. Swampert, with its high Atk, and Defenses, as well as a secondary Mega just in case. Rotom-W could also work, as it has a good typing as well as the ability to burn. Azumarill if you want priority Aqua Jet and a good attacker if you put Belly Drum or Huge Power on it. It's up to you in the end.
Yes it is, since this team already resist electric attack so add a water type won't hurt. Didn't think about Mega Swampert yet since he work better in a rain team but may be he's good in this too.
Azumarill with Belly Drum may be not since the sand may kill him quickly

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
I agree with matt that Skarmory could make a good replacement for Magnezone.
Not only does it dodge those pesky earthquakes, but it also can handle the ice and fighting problems relatively well. It is a little lackluster in special defense, so you gotta watch for those ice beams...but you should have no problems with thunderbolt given the amount of ground.

Alakazam could definitely work as the new mega...though I'd still put a scarf over a band on Chomp (Mega Lopunny would still be a problem otherwise).
Alakazam can swap in on the SR and sand with magic guard, which could be pretty handy.

Mega Gardevoir could also work. I'd say picking a special attacker for your mega would be high priority so that you aren't given problems by defensive walls. If you don't like the double fairy match-up though with Garde/Clef then I guess that Alakazam would be better.
Clef could also potentially run flamethrower over its current moonblast since most people have steels to send in against you.

Combustiblelimes

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Azumarill with Belly Drum may be not since the sand may kill him quickly
Your right. Totally forgot about sandstorm, (it's the title of the goddamn thread. I'm so dumb,) but Swampert would fit sandstorm pretty well. A steel might also work, but it still leaves you open to fighting, which is far more common than ice

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
Your right. Totally forgot about sandstorm, (it's the title of the goddamn thread. I'm so dumb,) but Swampert would fit sandstorm pretty well. A steel might also work, but it still leaves you open to fighting, which is far more common than ice
Well, he's already got a lot of ground and steel, so I think it would probably be a little redundant and make him more vunerable

PokemonFan

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I agree with matt that Skarmory could make a good replacement for Magnezone.
Not only does it dodge those pesky earthquakes, but it also can handle the ice and fighting problems relatively well. It is a little lackluster in special defense, so you gotta watch for those ice beams...but you should have no problems with thunderbolt given the amount of ground.

Alakazam could definitely work as the new mega...though I'd still put a scarf over a band on Chomp (Mega Lopunny would still be a problem otherwise).
Alakazam can swap in on the SR and sand with magic guard, which could be pretty handy.

Mega Gardevoir could also work. I'd say picking a special attacker for your mega would be high priority so that you aren't given problems by defensive walls. If you don't like the double fairy match-up though with Garde/Clef then I guess that Alakazam would be better.
Clef could also potentially run flamethrower over its current moonblast since most people have steels to send in against you.
Um Magnezone solo reason to be here is to deal with Skarmory who wall the whole team. If remove him then how to deal with Skarmory then? Skarmory and Mega Zam i fear not fit for the task

testing