• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active PP Ranked Battles

What do you think of a Perfect Pokemon ranking system?

• Great Idea!

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Good Idea that may need some tweaking.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Fun concept that won't work.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Awful idea. Stay away from rankings at all cost.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
Hey guys, after some talk in the shoutbox it sounded like people really wanted some kind of a rating battle system for the site. Well I think I may just have that system. For those of you that are familiar with sports, a very commonly used metric is RPI. RPI or Rating Percentage Index is a way of determining how good a person or team is at a given sport based on 3 factors: win percentage (25%), opponent win percentage (50%), and opponents opponent win percentage (25%). Now I actually plan on modifying this metric slightly to fit our specific needs, but this would be the basis of the proposed rating system.

How it would work
So obviously it's nearly impossible to track every single match that users would have over Wi-Fi and oftentimes people want to just have fun meaningless battles, so I propose that all "Ranked" battles be submitted to a ranked match guru guy (which will be me for the time being). These battles will then be placed in a metric for measuring skill and full on rankings would then be posted weekly.

Possible ideas to go with rankings
Laddering achievements: After establishing a stable RPI, one idea could be to hand titles/gain some kind of reward for maintaining a spot on the rankings over a period of matches/time.

Seasonal League: Determining the best battlers over a period of time to form a mini tournament to determine the best battlers in the land could be a fun way to use these rankings. Not quite sure how this would be handled, but it's an interesting idea non-the-less.

Feature Matches: While we generally know many of the sites top battlers already, these rankings could help highlight some matches from unknown quantities. These matches could help add content to PP's Youtube page and could help grow the legitimacy of the competitive side of the site for outsiders.

So what do you guys think? Disaster, fun concept, great idea? Anything you want to add or modify? Sound off below and vote up top.

K

Krelbit

But considering we have a very small battler pool, that may not work out at the moment.

K

Krelbit

Can you elaborate? I think I know what you are getting at, but I'm not sure it's going to be a huge hindrance.

If there are 30 total people frequenting ranked battling, you're going to battle them all eventually. Battling them again and again might prove to be boring. New battlers may be looked upon to be easy prey, and I feel that would discourage them from the system.

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
If there are 30 total people frequenting ranked battling, you're going to battle them all eventually. Battling them again and again might prove to be boring. New battlers may be looked upon to be easy prey, and I feel that would discourage them from the system.
The purpose of the RPI system is to promote battling at all levels. If you are newer to battling it also helps you determine opponents of a similar skill level. There will be some growing pains where only the top battlers will get involved, but once we get over that hump it should be a fairly fluid system. And with RPI battling better opponents is actually beneficial, so beating up on newer battlers doesn't affect your ranking much if at all.

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
I like the idea, if it can be implemented successfully I don't see why not

Ary

Scare Queen
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Credits
ehh tbh we all generally know who the good/bad/great/reallygreat/supershitty people are and where they stand I don't really see a reason to further show differences in skill

gym badges alrdy show some signif. of how good someones still are
granted some people don't do them
tourneys placements also show skill levels and where people generally fare

--- * glances into future and possibly sees new member intimated just talking to say idk niqqy( assume they don't know he is a mod but looked at the ranking ) who magically manages to place in top ten percentile *

im also aware from ur wording that u alrdy know wt im saying but eh its my opinion and I typed it alrdy :p

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
ehh tbh we all generally know who the good/bad/great/reallygreat/supershitty people are and where they stand I don't really see a reason to further show differences in skill

gym badges alrdy show some signif. of how good someones still are
granted some people don't do them
tourneys placements also show skill levels and where people generally fare

--- * glances into future and possibly sees new member intimated just talking to say idk niqqy( assume they don't know he is a mod but looked at the ranking ) who magically manages to place in top ten percentile *

im also aware from ur wording that u alrdy know wt im saying but eh its my opinion and I typed it alrdy :p

Gym badges show who can counterteam or who has skill but it isn't easy to differentiate

We know who is good and who isn't but there's a whole population of untouched users who have potential that we just don't know about

People could be intimidated by anything, badges, titles, banners, etc, this could just motivate them more IMO

Just my two cents

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I'm a huge advocate of this system! I previously tried basing this around site points, but that really wouldn't work compared to this variant. Like I said in the shoutbox, I'm all up for helping out with this :)

testing