• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Standard Nuzlocke Rules

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
What is the Nuzlocke Challenge and what the hell is a ‘nuzlocke?’

If you’ve come to this thread and don’t know, chances are you’re asking yourself this question right now.

The good news is that it’s relatively simple—there are only two rules! But before we get into that, let’s get into how it all started.

It was finals week of winter quarter 2010 for a bored not-yet webcomic artist at UC Santa Cruz. Having taken nothing but bullshit classes that quarter, he decided to entertain himself while everyone else was studying by starting a new file in his old copy of Pokemon Ruby.

But he had grown tired of his old Pokemon games; they had become repetitive and unchallenging after many play throughs. Deciding to make the experience more interesting, he set two rules for himself:

The Rules Are:
1. He could only capture the first Pokemon he encountered in each new area.
2. If a Pokemon fainted he would consider it dead and release it.

The results were unexpected; rather than simply increasing the difficulty, these rules caused him to care for his monster companions more than ever before. He found new appreciation for Pokemon he would have previously never bothered to capture, and worried deeply for his team, knowing any knockout would mean goodbye.

Wanting to share his experience with others, he drew up a few crude comics of his adventure and posted them on the 4chan /v/ideogame board, where he had enjoyed many vidya-related comics in the past. The doodles were met with surprising approval, especially towards the Seedot/Nuzleaf that bore the image of LOST’s John Locke.

These users dubbed it the “Nuzlocke Challenge” and the sensation was born.

Since then countless “Nuzlocke runs” have been attempted, completed and failed by denizens of the Internet, many of them recorded in comics or stories. This is the true magic of the Nuzlocke Challenge: everyone has a story of triumph and loss to tell.

So go forth and experience the Nuzlocke Challenge, either by reading these comics or taking on the challenge yourself. But be warned, challenger, there is no victory without loss.

(Excerpt taken from Nuzlocke.com)

This sums it up, art is definitely not required but of course optional, feel free to make a thread in our sub forum sharing your adventure but be weary, double posting rules still apply guys!

Enjoy!

(Nicknames are optional but make this experience 10 times more enjoyable!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Hello, Matt_192 here. I was just going to post that you can do different types of Nuzlocke too! You can check out http://nuzlocke.wikia.com/wiki/The_Nuzlocke_Challenge_Wiki for different variations of the original rules - for example, I am currently doing a Story Chesslocke.

The world of nuzlockes is diverse, and you should try and aim to do the most!

StefanL

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
What is the Nuzlocke Challenge and what the hell is a ‘nuzlocke?’

If you’ve come to this thread and don’t know, chances are you’re asking yourself this question right now.

The good news is that it’s relatively simple—there are only two rules! But before we get into that, let’s get into how it all started.

It was finals week of winter quarter 2010 for a bored not-yet webcomic artist at UC Santa Cruz. Having taken nothing but bullshit classes that quarter, he decided to entertain himself while everyone else was studying by starting a new file in his old copy of Pokemon Ruby.

But he had grown tired of his old Pokemon games; they had become repetitive and unchallenging after many play throughs. Deciding to make the experience more interesting, he set two rules for himself:

1. He could only capture the first Pokemon he encountered in each new area.
2. If a Pokemon fainted he would consider it dead and release it.

The results were unexpected; rather than simply increasing the difficulty, these rules caused him to care for his monster companions more than ever before. He found new appreciation for Pokemon he would have previously never bothered to capture, and worried deeply for his team, knowing any knockout would mean goodbye.

Wanting to share his experience with others, he drew up a few crude comics of his adventure and posted them on the 4chan /v/ideogame board, where he had enjoyed many vidya-related comics in the past. The doodles were met with surprising approval, especially towards the Seedot/Nuzleaf that bore the image of LOST’s John Locke.

These users dubbed it the “Nuzlocke Challenge” and the sensation was born.

Since then countless “Nuzlocke runs” have been attempted, completed and failed by denizens of the Internet, many of them recorded in comics or stories. This is the true magic of the Nuzlocke Challenge: everyone has a story of triumph and loss to tell.

So go forth and experience the Nuzlocke Challenge, either by reading these comics or taking on the challenge yourself. But be warned, challenger, there is no victory without loss.

(Excerpt taken from Nuzlocke.com)

This sums it up, art is definitely not required but of course optional, feel free to make a thread in our sub forum sharing your adventure but be weary, double posting rules still apply guys!

Enjoy!

(Nicknames are optional but make this experience 10 times more enjoyable!)
What is the most enjoyable kind of locke? Besides standard Nuzlocke? ^^

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
It's basically a personal preference :p Here is a good resource for different types of locke - try them out!

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits

Anything randomized is fun and fresh, I would definitely recommend a randomized nuzlocke

Angelamongsouls3

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I love that you tell them story of how it came to be. Very interesting thread. I like the story.
I must try this myself, maybe develop a stronger bond to my pokemon experience. I like the idea