• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Suggestion to make tournaments go by faster.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
So tournaments start at 5 pm and a lot of times go until 10 pm or later when there is only 4 or 5 rounds in the tourny. This is because people show up late expecting if they get there at 5:20 pm or something because round 2 hasn't started, they won't be disqualified yet and can start later, extending the round for everyone else. Because some people have work/school on Monday morning, this because very irritating. 10 PM becomes late for me, and im in EST. I can imagine people in european time zones it must be harder on.

My suggestion would be for a admin/mod to post a "check in" thread at 4 PM (an hour before it starts) and have the mod post it every 5 minutes in chat so people have no excuse not to post in it. By 5 pm anyone who has not posted in the thread, will be disqualified as soon as the tournament starts and marked as a loss against their opponent.

This would make it go by faster, and make it a whole lot less stressful for most of us who have other things to do besides wait for people who do not get on in time and slow it down.

*EDIT: I have seen the new rule saying you must be there by 5:30 or you are DQ, however I do not think this fixes the issue. The issue is people are coming at 5:20 as it is and making it longer, and will still do so with new rule. I suggest this be added in addition to that rule, and make the 30 minute rule only for people who checked in.

Last edited:

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
We haven't even seen the new rules in place yet, I say we wait until the next official tourneys and see how things go.

It's illogical to amend a new rule that hasn't had a chance to even be used yet IMO

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
We haven't even seen the new rules in place yet, I say we wait until the next official tourneys and see how things go.

It's illogical to amend a new rule that hasn't had a chance to even be used yet IMO

Alright , well this can be put into consideration after tomorrow perhaps, if things continue, and see what happens

SoIidSmok3

Naughty
Credits
Id even bring up the situation where somebody isnt gona attend or be late. Should try and notify @tournament or mods. Influence a dc tardy or absent policy where entry fee is forfeit or maybe a even a warning by a mod for a no call no show.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
Id even bring up the situation where somebody isnt gona attend or be late. Should try and notify @tournament or mods. Influence a dc policy where entry fee is forfeit or maybe a even a warning by a mod for a no call no show.

Warnings might be harsh, I agree with forfeit pc. I mean if I sign up for a tourny then I end up in hospital, not really my fault. But I would expect to lose PC. xD

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
Id even bring up the situation where somebody isnt gona attend or be late. Should try and notify @tournament or mods. Influence a dc policy where entry fee is forfeit or maybe a even a warning by a mod for a no call no show.

We can't just warn users, they're already losing their entry fee on no shows, they aren't breaking rules and if they don't show up it's no big deal

It's great for people to let us know when they won't make it but sometimes things just come up

Miles8088

Top Kek Champion
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
Tbh I agree with this rule. Anyone who doesnt have time for a quick check in simply doesnt have time. As someone who has trouble making tournaments, I believe this rule is fair enough and will help exponentially. This way we can at least finish round 1 as close to or before 6 if possible (1 hour match limit). If you do the math a 4 round tourney would still end at 10 with the 5:30 rule. If we dont implement this rule it will continue to be unfair to those who carve out the expected amount of time for the tourney yet still can't finish because others made it run longer.

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
Is a warning that harsh? lol

Yes, 3 warnings is a temp ban and it really isn't voluntarily to bail out last second, we've all had things come up, it's a bit extreme

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
Tbh I agree with this rule. Anyone who doesnt have time for a quick check in simply doesnt have time. As someone who has trouble making tournaments, I believe this rule is fair enough and will help exponentially. This way we can at least finish round 1 as close to or before 6 if possible (1 hour match limit). If you do the math a 4 round tourney would still end at 10 with the 5:30 rule. If we dont implement this rule it will continue to be unfair to those who carve out the expected amount of time for the tourney yet still can't finish because others made it run longer.

indeed. I remember when a tourny went to midnight and I was trying to feel bad for myself because I had to wake up at 7 am the next day, meanwhile matt and slashtalon were on until 4 am their ti me.

Miles8088

Top Kek Champion
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
indeed. I remember when a tourny went to midnight and I was trying to feel bad for myself because I had to wake up at 7 am the next day, meanwhile matt and slashtalon were on until 4 am their ti me.
Yeah. I think that this rule is necessary for now. Yes, convenient start time could end up being the reason people aren't able to make it but for now this is when it is. Addressing the start time is a different issue and I think we should cross that bridge when we get there. Not everyone can make everything but we need to be considerate of the time of those that can.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
Yeah. I think that this rule is necessary for now. Yes, convenient start time could end up being the reason people aren't able to make it but for now this is when it is. Addressing the start time is a different issue and I think we should cross that bridge when we get there. Not everyone can make everything but we need to be considerate of the time of those that can.

indeed. I know there is a new rule which is why I added the edited. 30 min time frame isnt going to fix it :/

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits

"when we get there"

We were there, we voted, we didn't change the start time

Anyway you won't appease everyone and I highly recommend you wait to see if the new rule is effective before you continue this discussion

I understand no one likes to wait and having been in the finals the most I can tell you i'm one of the people who has had to wait the longest overall and it doesn't make me happy. Some people just aren't punctual or just have things that pop up, that being said you can't punish them and I definitely think the new rule we have is a step in the right direction, one thing at a time

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
"when we get there"

We were there, we voted, we didn't change the start time

Anyway you won't appease everyone and I highly recommend you wait to see if the new rule is effective before you continue this discussion

I understand no one likes to wait and having been in the finals the most I can tell you i'm one of the people who has had to wait the longest overall and it doesn't make me happy. Some people just aren't punctual or just have things that pop up, that being said you can't punish them and I definitely think the new rule we have is a step in the right direction, one thing at a time

But to be honest, DQing them at 5 for not signing in isnt really punishing :/

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
But to be honest, DQing them at 5 for not signing in isnt really punishing :/

It is if they show up at 5:02 because heavy traffic or something beyond their control, I understand you can show up early or on time but for some people you have to give a small window of allowance. Maybe 30 minutes is a bit much and 0 minutes past 5 is a bit extreme, i'm sure there is middle ground that the staff in charge of tournaments can settle on, I guess this isn't really my department but i'm done responding until after tomorrows tournament as i've stated previously, we set rules in place then change them in accordance once we see how they affect things

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
It is if they show up at 5:02 because heavy traffic or something beyond their control, I understand you can show up early or on time but for some people you have to give a small window of allowance. Maybe 30 minutes is a bit much and 0 minutes past 5 is a bit extreme, i'm sure there is middle ground that the staff in charge of tournaments can settle on, I guess this isn't really my department but i'm done responding until after tomorrows tournament as i've stated previously, we set rules in place then change them in accordance once we see how they affect things

Idk in my opinion if you're in traffic on way to tourny, then you didn't have time in the first place xD, just like miles stated.

In which case you can also just go on your phone and sign in, if you're almost home but won't make it on time.