• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

"Tapu Fini-sh it." (My first SuMo OU Team)

AskingFurret

Youngster Joey
Credits
I feel like I've got to give a good first impression with this team, being a newbie and all. *deep breath* Okay here goes.

The team at a glance:
- Tapu Fini
- Excadrill
- Marowak-A
- Roserade
- Weavile
- Mega-Aerodactyl (Soon to be Mega-Pidgeot, if they add the megastone.)

Building process:

788MS.png

Here she is, the star of the show. With an ability which allows itself and its grounded teammates from status moves and effects, it was a difficult Pokemon to turn down. It's a great check to some of the more offensive Pokemon in the tier (primarily dragon, fire and fighting types) due to its typing and significant bulk in both defences. As well as this, it gets access to a ton of great support moves, such as Taunt and Defog, making it an awesome teammate overall.

788MS.png
530MS.png

With the plethora of new electric types in Sun and Moon, Tapu Fini is in dire need of teammates which can counter such a typing. Excadrill is one of these Pokemon. With an immunity to electric types, this Pokemon is one of Fini's closest allies, and I haven't even started on its devastating offensive capabilities. Typically, balanced teams seriously struggle to take a SD hit from Excadrill, which can even annihilate the likes of Gliscor and Slowbro in some cases. It also gains access to Rapid Spin, making it a suitable entry hazard remover, which is necessary for a team which can suffer quite badly from SR.

788MS.png
530MS.png
marowak-alola.png

Meet Fini teammate numero 2. This fella absorbs electricity... somehow. But in the case that Excadrill has already fainted, Marowak-A is my backup. As well as this, he counters grass and steel types (two of Fini's major weaknesses) and can also aid Excadrill with its immunity to fighting. Marowak-A is nevertheless able to be one of the most prominent attackers in OU thanks to its typing, granting it STAB coverage against foes like Celesteela, Tapu Lele, and Tapu Bulu.

788MS.png
530MS.png
marowak-alola.png
407MS.png

Not often seen in OU, but Roserade fills an important role in this team. She has the capability of shutting down bulky waters which threaten Marowak-A and bulky grounds if Tapu Fini doesn't get to them first. With access to moves such as Sleep Powder, Roserade can buy itself more time to set up hazards such as Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which overly helps to facilitate sweeps on the team. Natural Cure means she can become burned or paralysed with almost no concern.

788MS.png
530MS.png
marowak-alola.png
407MS.png
461MS.png

Weavile has an awesome STAB combination, meaning it can hit the vast majority of Pokemon in the tier for neutral damage at a minimum. In addition to a neat Attack and Speed stat, it's probably one of the best revenge killers there's been. And in case you're not happy with a whopping base 125 speed stat, Weavile also gets access to STAB Ice Shard. It also doesn't have to deal with the likes of Rough Skin damage from Garchomp, as Weavile is one of the few decent ice-types with access to Icicle Crash, a non contact move.

788MS.png
530MS.png
marowak-alola.png
407MS.png
461MS.png
018MS.png
-->
142MS.png

As much as I would've loved to use Mega Pidgeot here, the mega stone isn't currently in SuMo. So until/if it gets implemented, I'll be sticking with Aerodactyl. Mega Aerodactyl has made a itself a terrifying threat in OU, despite being only a UU Pokemon. It's got blistering speed, including the likes of Alakazam, Mega Manetric and Mega Lopunny, to name a few. Along with its strong attack stat and decent movepool, it really does make a name for itself. Along with Marowak and Weavile, however, it relies heavily on Excadrill clearing the field of SR beforehand, as such damage upon switch-in could cripple Aero as a late-game sweeper.

In depth:

Tap Water (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248HP/192Def/16SpD/52Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Moonblast

Taunt shuts down any defensive leads, such as Skarmory or Blissey, so they're unable to set up hazards or heal. Scald hits most Pokemon for neutral damage and can still burn flying type Pokemon or Levitate users whilst Misty Terrain is in place. Moonblast gains STAB and hits fighting and dragon types such as Keldeo and Garchomp.

Digdug (Excadrill) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252Atk/4Def/252Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Earthquake and Iron Head are Excadrill's STAB moves, both with a high base power and neat coverage. Rock Slide can hit most flying types such as Talonflame and Mega-Pinsir super-effectively. Both Iron Head and Rock Slide have a solid chance to flinch as well, saving Excadrill for another turn, as whilst it excels in offense, it lacks in defence. Sword Dance was another option, although I wasn't willing to sacrifice Excadrill's coverage or its ability to clear hazards for the extra power. Its main job is to clear hazards anyway, as well as check fairies.

GhostRider (Marowak-A) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252HP/180Atk/4Def/68SpD/4Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

Marowak essentially plays the part of 'Fairy-and-Electric-counter' number 2, but you have to appreciate how much it can cripple many other opposing Pokemon. Whilst he's meant to sweep, a 252Atk/252Spe spread left Marowak too frail to allow him to do that, so investing in both defences and HP meant he could live longer, at the cost of a little bit of power. Fire Punch was chosen over Flare Blitz to preserve Marowak's HP as long as possible. Will-O-Wisp cripples Pokemon such as Weavile and Gallade, who would usually be able OHKO Roserade, who lacks in defence. And rocks is rocks.

INeedAHerose (Roserade) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252SpA/4SpD/252Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Spikes deal residual damage to grounded foes, which, combined with SR from Marowak-A, can cut a lot of HP from opposing Pokemon. Giga Drain helps keep her healthy. Sludge Bomb is strong STAB and OHKOs Tapu Bulu. Sleep Powder gives me time to set up hazards and for Pokemon such as Tapu Fini to set up Calm Mind.

Frostbite (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252Atk/4SpD/252Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Pursuit

Knock Off is Weavile's primary STAB move, dealing alot of damage even to Pokemon that resist it. Removing items is just a bonus. Icicle Crash targets common metagame Pokemon such as Garchomp, which are OHKO'd by such a move. Low Kick can hit Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Heatran extremely hard, which would resist Weavile's Knock Off and Icicle Crash. Pursuit is a great move to have ready when Weavile switches in to Psychic or Ghost types (such as Latias/Latias or Gengar) as a switch out is almost guaranteed.

Terrasaur (Aerodactyl-Mega) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252Atk/4SpD/252Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Wing Attack
- Roost

Stone Edge is a STAB move that allows Aerodactyl to hit opposing Flying types as well as Ice, Fire, and Bug types such as Kyurem, Entei, Darmanitan, and Mega Beedrill. Wing Attack gets the Tough Claws boost, making it very potent against Fighting-types, as well as Grass-types that can tank Stone Edge such as Shaymin and Chesnaught. With such a boost from its ability, it's a difficult move to turn down. Earthquake is used for its ability to hit Steel-types such as Cobalion and Doublade, which resist both of Aerodactyl's STAB types. Roost is there to increase the longevity of Aero's reign of terror.

Current threats:

797MS.png

Unless Marowak-A is still alive by the time I encounter this, I have a very hard time. Weavile can occasionally deal some damage to Celesteela, but due to its semi-frail defences, it doesn't last particularly long.
376MS.png

Similar to Celesteela, Metagross walls alot of my team. In most cases, Weavile won't even be able to dent it due to Bullet Punch, and the more bulkier variants often tank Aero's earthquakes.

~~~

Well that's it. I encourage any possible feedback or suggestions you might have; it's been a while since I've entered the competitive scene so it's only likely my teambuilding skills are rusty. Cheers for reading. <3

desertfreak

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Marowak is a nice counter to Celesteela. It can flare blitz it out at max attack. I don't know if it might be a better option than fire punch.

Also, I love the names of your Pokémon :p

testing