• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active Tournament 'World Series' Idea

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
After 6 months of regular tournaments now, I have been looking for other ways to expand the tournament scene here instead of just have a tournament, wait two weeks, have another tournament then repeat for the rest of our lives. Instead, my idea is effectively this: every year, we pick out two months, say, August and September, then over the course of that time, any tournament wins will go toward a bigger prize - the PP World Series Champion.

Now obviously, it would get stale if we focused on one tier, so out of the possible 5 tournaments in those two months, we would pick out 5 random tiers and play those, e.g. OU, UU, RU, Doubles and LC. Already passed this idea on to @doulie but he was looking for more community opinion before making a final decision so.... discuss!

Just so you are aware, this wouldn't be a thing that happens all year. Instead, it would be a one off thing and wouldn't really upset the flow of tournaments throughout the year, so everything stays mostly the same, with the only difference being that you could possibly be playing for some kind of unique 'World Series Champion' banner? (More on banners in my next thread).

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
After 6 months of regular tournaments now, I have been looking for other ways to expand the tournament scene here instead of just have a tournament, wait two weeks, have another tournament then repeat for the rest of our lives. Instead, my idea is effectively this: every year, we pick out two months, say, August and September, then over the course of that time, any tournament wins will go toward a bigger prize - the PP World Series Champion.

Now obviously, it would get stale if we focused on one tier, so out of the possible 5 tournaments in those two months, we would pick out 5 random tiers and play those, e.g. OU, UU, RU, Doubles and LC. Already passed this idea on to @doulie but he was looking for more community opinion before making a final decision so.... discuss!

Just so you are aware, this wouldn't be a thing that happens all year. Instead, it would be a one off thing and wouldn't really upset the flow of tournaments throughout the year, so everything stays mostly the same, with the only difference being that you could possibly be playing for some kind of unique 'World Series Champion' banner? (More on banners in my next thread).
I think it'd be cool if the banners for that were permanent. So if someone won the one we had this year, it'd be like "PP Series Champion 2015" then next year it would be "PP Series Champion 2016" etc etc. This would give more permanent and exclusive rewards on the site as an added incentive bonus. Each would be a unique banner that only one person could ever have.

*As opposed to the current setup where next tourney winner takes the old banner.

G

Youngster Joey
Will Not Fall
Dex Contributor
Battler
Credits
Cool idea Matt.

A GBA style PP league would be cool too.

Ruby

Youngster Joey
Credits
Good Idea! I'd say make it like the World Champions though maybe mix 2 of the Tiers together, for example use OU and Uber or something! But great idea!

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
I think a world series month title would overshadow the rest of the year's tournaments tbh

Who cares about a belt here if it isn't a World Series?

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I think a world series month title would overshadow the rest of the year's tournaments tbh

It's an annual event so it's not like it's going to end and people are gonna stop playing for another 10 months for the next one.

Miles8088

Top Kek Champion
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits

Thats like saying who cares about a championship if it isnt an olympic gold medalO O

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
Thats like saying who cares about a championship if it isnt an olympic gold medalO O

It's more like saying who cares about a sunday football match when there's a superbowl champ

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
It's more like saying who cares about a sunday football match when there's a superbowl champ
Seeing as the Superbowl only last for about 4-5 months (correct me if I'm wrong - I don't watch it), I'm sure people do watch and care about Sunday football matches. Either way, this is only about 2 months of the year we're considering, if that, so there's definitely going to be a long time in between each one for people to focus on the regular tournaments.

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
Seeing as the Superbowl only last for about 4-5 months (correct me if I'm wrong - I don't watch it), I'm sure people do watch and care about Sunday football matches. Either way, this is only about 2 months of the year we're considering, if that, so there's definitely going to be a long time in between each one for people to focus on the regular tournaments.

The Superbowl is one game, it lasts one day xD

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
The Superbowl is one game, it lasts one day xD
Oh, ignore me sorry xD

Quick general update: I've spoken to doulie just now and he seems to like the idea - I'll keep giving updates over the next few days as we develop the idea over PM. Thanks!

Also Dom, are you free to record now or at some point? I'll send you the battle link so you can download it whenever :]

testing