• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

What is your teambuilding process?

Nonny

Pokémon Champion
Journalist
Credits
Just curious about how you guys come up with your teams. Winning, losing, unique, unpredictable, practical, standard, whatever. Everyone has a process. What's yours?

Skyozuro

Youngster Joey
Credits
- Find the core
You gotta find whats your win condition and/or the pokemon(s) you want to shine most in your team.

-Find the best possible synergy you can get with that same core typing, stat and coverage wise
To help you protect that core and define your team's weaknesses easily.

-Try to have at least one entry hazard setup and one defog/spinner.
Entry hazard are a huge part of the game. Using it and dealing with it is a must in every team IMO.

-I try to check my "checklist" which consits of 1 Physical tank, 1 special tank, 1 physical sweeper, 1 special sweeper, 1 revenge killer, fodder for some special stuff most of the time something bulky or just a general good mon to fit the team

- Test the first team i come up with on Showdown in ladder games as well as friendly trollier games to test your team from every possible anles (around 10 to 20 games)

-Adjust my team accordingly to the tests.

-Redo previous steps until satisfied or godlike team achieved.

That's pretty much it for me.

Most important thing is to come with ne innovative things. Yesterday i fought Ary with my OU team idea. MVP was my resttalk milotic. The thing is a hidden op i think. Almost neverseen doesnt mean bad, it's just uncommon. Try stuff and have fun doing so! Thats the key to pokemon.

DannySteeden

Pokémon Champion
Credits
I pick maybe 2 or 3 pokemon that I really like, regardless of if they're good or not and they I build around them with pokemon that synergise well with them and are more well known for being good so that the team has a chance to win as well as being fun to use with my favourite pokemon :D

Ary

Scare Queen
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Credits
I just idk i go for coverage and yolo the mons based on the tier

If im making a gym team dou its totally different xD i actually get serious

Less

Pokémon Champion
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Credits
Just curious about how you guys come up with your teams. Winning, losing, unique, unpredictable, practical, standard, whatever. Everyone has a process. What's yours?

xD I build in a losing way xD

Yet use a core that has synergy, and work around that. But what @Skyozuro said makes perfect sense and it's a pretty fair guide :3

Xynkthos

Youngster Joey
Credits
I'm still incredibly new to the whole competitive side of pokemon, but im trying to base a team around Liepard because i love that little cinnamon roll

Nonny

Pokémon Champion
Journalist
Credits
I'm still incredibly new to the whole competitive side of pokemon, but im trying to base a team around Liepard because i love that little cinnamon roll
That actually sounds like my process. Not with Liepard, specifically, but I like to choose a Pokemon I love (or find interesting, or both) and try to build a team it would fit into well.

I've also been toying around with different ways to build cores. Typing triangles are a fun place to start.

testing