• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Is Palworld Pushing Pokémon to Evolve

Is Palworld Pushing Pokémon to Evolve

By doulie
Published 

Palworld Could Force the Pokémon Franchise to Improve​

In the realm of creature capture games, Palworld has emerged as a game-changer, it was first dubbed as "Pokémon with guns." However, for those delving into the game, it's clear that Palworld offers much more than a mere Pokémon clone. With its captivating gameplay, unique 'game magic,' and the addition of base-building mechanics, Palworld represents the Pokémon experience many fans have been clamoring for.

Palworld's dynamic gameplay, which includes creature capture, base building, and innovative mechanics, challenges the status quo established by traditional Pokémon games. It's fast-paced action and strategic elements make the mainline Pokémon games feel sluggish, predictable, and lacking in difficulty. This stark contrast has prompted discussions among players about the need for Nintendo to step up their game if they wish to remain competitive in the market. palworld07.jpg

Indeed, there are signs that Nintendo may be taking notice of Palworld's impact. The absence of a new Pokémon game announcement for the end of 2024 raised eyebrows among fans. Instead, Nintendo unveiled Pokémon Legends Z-A for a 2025 release. This strategic move suggests that Nintendo may be reevaluating their plans and incorporating features to better compete with Palworld.

Palworld's influence extends beyond mere gameplay mechanics. Its success has already shattered records, with the game selling 19 million units in just a few weeks. In comparison, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet sold around 23.23 million units over the course of a year. This staggering difference in sales highlights Palworld's meteoric rise and its potential to reshape the landscape of creature capture games.

As we eagerly await the release of Pokémon Legends Z-A, one thing is clear: Palworld's arrival has set a new standard for creature capture games. Whether it's pushing Nintendo to up their game or inspiring innovation within the industry, Palworld's impact is undeniable. Only time will tell how Pokémon will respond to this challenge and whether it will lead to a new era of evolution and improvement for the beloved franchise.

Last edited:

FrostedYukio

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Personally I feel Palworld doesn't affect Pokemon as a series primarily because they are vastly different games. Pokemon is a turn based RPG centered around monster catching and battling. Palworld is a survival game with some light Pokemon inspired elements but more in common with Ark Survival and other similar games. If anything its an example of just how much untapped potential these mechanics have for other genres. It may cause TPC to experiment even more with the series like we've seen in the Switch era so far, but I don't feel they're "competing" with Palworld because they're entirely different entities.

For the last few generations, GAME FREAK and The Pokemon Company have been more willing to try new design formats and explore going back to past material and expanding on it (Legends subseries). Whether Palworld succeeded or not doesn't change this and I don't feel like we'd even remotely be seeing changes related to it until at minimum Generation 10. It is however nice to see these mechanics be experimented with by more developers rather than just trying to make "Pokemon but different" such as TemTem and Cassette Beasts.

Brock

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Tournament Coordinator
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Battler
Credits
Competition is healthy in any business especially for the consumers so I welcome it :Pompus:

doulie

King of the Ring
Staff member
Admin
Credits
Personally I feel Palworld doesn't affect Pokemon as a series primarily because they are vastly different games. Pokemon is a turn based RPG centered around monster catching and battling. Palworld is a survival game with some light Pokemon inspired elements but more in common with Ark Survival and other similar games. If anything its an example of just how much untapped potential these mechanics have for other genres. It may cause TPC to experiment even more with the series like we've seen in the Switch era so far, but I don't feel they're "competing" with Palworld because they're entirely different entities.

For the last few generations, GAME FREAK and The Pokemon Company have been more willing to try new design formats and explore going back to past material and expanding on it (Legends subseries). Whether Palworld succeeded or not doesn't change this and I don't feel like we'd even remotely be seeing changes related to it until at minimum Generation 10. It is however nice to see these mechanics be experimented with by more developers rather than just trying to make "Pokemon but different" such as TemTem and Cassette Beasts.
I agree with most of your post, no doubt the games are different in many ways.
But at its core Pokemon is a game about creature capture and exploration... so is Palworld.

Ary

Scare Queen
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Credits
Digimon and many other games are attempted to remake pokemon in a new image while peeling off members of their fanbase.

I believe the main problem is that palworld is the first and only to do so in a completely online public format more so BEFORE pokemon could even adapt enough to the same type of game play.

Even Monster Hunter which roughly maintained a similar single player and multiple player "rooms" managed to outpace pokemon in a sense of team work,

Same with genshin impact honestly

Which only adds to the fact why is pokemon taking so long to go full mmo? This is where palworld is getting the jump on them and their fanbase who was eventually expecting them to reach there.

Niqyue

Fire Starter
Credits
I think what Palworld proves to the pokemon company that a more mature version of their games and IP could/should be a huge success. Which doesn't necessarily need to be a main series game, they could go the route of spin-offs or mobile games and have the game(s) have a target audience of 13+

testing