• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Hi there. Im new so ..

Yeyin

Youngster Joey
Credits
Okay so i thought id treat myself to Alpha Sapphire because nostalgia right and I'm curious as to how to get into wifi battling so whats the best set-up to go for ? Like is there different kind of Pokemon roles like a tank, a physical hitter, special attack nuker ? (I'm trying to guess the roles here to seem clever)

I mean I'm not necessarily bothered about which particular Pokemon are strongest to use since ill just use Pokemon i generally like but id like abit of help which isn't like a couple of the guides I've tried to read because i simply get lost when it comes to IV training etc

So yeah any help would be awesome to push me in the right direction, thankyou :)

Last edited:

AndromedaNexus

Lorekeeper
Donor
Credits
Howdy,

Firstly, Welcome to the site! :)

Secondly, I will be glad to help you get started, It's part of what I do here :)

Yeyin

Youngster Joey
Credits
Awesome thankyou :), appreciate the welcome. Whats the easiest way to get into the whole wifi scene ? I mean i still gotta play the game and actually get some decent guys on my team but as long as i got some thing to keep in mind whilst im doing that or things to look for in Pokemon that'd be great.

Thanks again :D

AndromedaNexus

Lorekeeper
Donor
Credits
Well, the best way to learn competitive battling in with personal experience. And no better place provides that than PokemonShowdown.com. you can make a team and battle with others there. When it comes to building, it's always good to have a group help you so you can get the opinions of others for the best team possible. :)

Yeyin

Youngster Joey
Credits
Okay i done a couple of battles on Showdown and this team won 7 and lost 3 (I thought 10 was a nice number for testing)
Metagross
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Meteor Mash

Scizor
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 100 SpD / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- X-Scissor
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance

Nidoking (M)
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 120 Atk / 160 Def / 160 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Claw
- Hone Claws

Gengar
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Venoshock
- Confuse Ray

Venusaur
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 108 HP / 200 Def / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Venoshock
- Earthquake
- Magical Leaf

Scrafty
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 100 HP / 150 Def / 150 SpD / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Power-Up Punch
I mean i dunno if its actually a good team or not, i might have beaten people who were just goofing around trying out random stuff. I know my thought process when it comes to this team but whether its a good idea is another story.

AndromedaNexus

Lorekeeper
Donor
Credits
Well, the first thing I notice is that you don't have items. Items are essential to a good team. There are a lot of items to choose from, which can be pretty intimidating. Lucky for you, I'll tell you which items are best for your pokes(later).

Secondly, Some of your choices for attacks are pretty good, but there are more optimal attacks to use. For example, Use hammer arm on metagross instead of Hidden power water. Mostly it has to do with coverage, what types are your team weak to?

Finally, your ev spreads are interesting, when you build a Poke that you just don't know. Go to Smogon.com and go to the pokedex there. They have movesets you can use to use the pokemon most effectively.

Other than that, you actually have a really good first attempt for someone who just jumped into this.

Yeyin

Youngster Joey
Credits
Oh snap yeah i forgot items but then again i'd probably choose something which has no synergy with the Pokemon.

Thankyou, i tried to centralize it around the poison of Toxic spikes but i see where you're coming from since i guess Hammer Arm counters the Steel types that'd negate the Poison proc ? The logic behind the Hidden Power (Water) is simply due to Metagross vs Fire types but now you mentioned Hammer Arm it'd be a much better choice :D.

As for my EVs i simply tried to make Venasaur and Scrafty tanky but able to do dmg in the form of Venoshock + Giga drain for Vensaur providing sustain and possible big dmg with Venoshock and Scrafty i gave Bulk Up and Power up punch to get its Attack ramping up aswell as it making it's defense higher. The drain punch also gives it sustain like Venasaur to just be a nuisance I mean i literally took a shot in the dark with my EVs :p.

Thankyou, i just like poison types and made a gameplan around that xD. I just need to learn abit more about this i guess. Its confusing and hard to get used to, to say the least :D

AndromedaNexus

Lorekeeper
Donor
Credits
It seems like you're play still is pretty stally, which is a very viable playstyle, there are some really good stall players online now who can help you learn how to play that way better than myself(I'm offense all the way). I would recommend messaging @Niqyue or @DRAG0NIT3 . They are really good with this playstyle.

Yeyin

Youngster Joey
Credits
Okay thankyou ill try messaging them :). Just out of curiosity what items would've been good to put on those Pokemon ?

AndromedaNexus

Lorekeeper
Donor
Credits
Well, I don't want to overwhelm you with all the stuff about how to Make good EV spreads, we can leave that for another time. You should also look into watching some great poketubers, I recommend Pokeaimmd, Chimpact, Shofu, Shady Penguin, and Lumiose Station

AndromedaNexus

Lorekeeper
Donor
Credits
Okay i done a couple of battles on Showdown and this team won 7 and lost 3 (I thought 10 was a nice number for testing)
Metagross
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Meteor Mash

Scizor
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 100 SpD / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- X-Scissor
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance

Nidoking (M)
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 120 Atk / 160 Def / 160 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Claw
- Hone Claws

Gengar
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Venoshock
- Confuse Ray

Venusaur
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 108 HP / 200 Def / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Venoshock
- Earthquake
- Magical Leaf

Scrafty
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 100 HP / 150 Def / 150 SpD / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Power-Up Punch
I mean i dunno if its actually a good team or not, i might have beaten people who were just goofing around trying out random stuff. I know my thought process when it comes to this team but whether its a good idea is another story.
Metagrossite-Leftovers
Scrafty-Rocky Helmet/leftovers
Venusaur-Venusaurite
Gengar-Black Sludge.
Nidoking-Life Orb
Scizor-Choice Band/Leftovers

TheDarkSpike

Youngster Joey
Credits
Howdy,

Firstly, Welcome to the site! :)

Secondly, I will be glad to help you get started, It's part of what I do here :)

Uhm, I'm not sure how to say this without looking noobish, but you and your team kinda seems awesome :)
And i was wondering if there is a deep-going guide written by one of you guys, or other cool guys on this site. I would love to get into ranked battles and such, but i can't say im the greatest of battlers.
I even don't know all the types weaknesses of uncommon thing like poision, bug and fairy out of my head.

testing