Is mega charizard any good?

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
Thinking about trying him out. Is he any good or is there a mega who is much more effective than him for what he does?

Gavin

Youngster Joey
Credits
Well, personally, I think hes amazing. Hes been my mega since the beginning of X&Y competitive battling. I have one with the X mega stone, Dragon dance, Outrage, Flare blitz, and earthquake with an attack increase. He can sweep with a single D-dance. So, the answer? Yes.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
Well, personally, I think hes amazing. Hes been my mega since the beginning of X&Y competitive battling. I have one with the X mega stone, Dragon dance, Outrage, Flare blitz, and earthquake with an attack increase. He can sweep with a single D-dance. So, the answer? Yes.

Was thinking about a bulky one

bbgrg

Youngster Joey
Credits
MegaZard Y's hits are ridiculously powerful, which let it function as a wall breaker. However, it gets checked by heatran, chansey, latias, opposing weather setters, et cetera. Combined with its somewhat low speed, this can make it a waste of a mega slot as it is outclassed by better wall breakers like greninja. This doesn't mean that Zard Y is bad; it just isn't used nearly as much as other megas.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
MegaZard Y's hits are ridiculously powerful, which let it function as a wall breaker. However, it gets checked by heatran, chansey, latias, opposing weather setters, et cetera. Combined with its somewhat low speed, this can make it a waste of a mega slot as it is outclassed by better wall breakers like greninja. This doesn't mean that Zard Y is bad; it just isn't used nearly as much as other megas.
Again looking for a wall.

Is X better for wall? Or could I make a sp def wall with Y?

Also bulky attacker wouldnt be bad

bbgrg

Youngster Joey
Credits
Again looking for a wall.

Is X better for wall? Or could I make a sp def wall with Y?

Also bulky attacker wouldnt be bad

As a wall, Zard Y is useless XD. It's 4x weak to stealth rock, and has a pretty bad defensive typing. On the other hand, Megazard X is pretty good as a bulky attacker/wallish thing. As previously said, run roost, will-o-wisp, and two attacks. Give it a careful nature and ev it in spdef and hp because burn will be enough to beat physical attackers. Make sure to run enough speed to outspeed whatever you deem necessary.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
As a wall, Zard Y is useless XD. It's 4x weak to stealth rock, and has a pretty bad defensive typing. On the other hand, Megazard X is pretty good as a bulky attacker/wallish thing. As previously said, run roost, will-o-wisp, and two attacks. Give it a careful nature and ev it in spdef and hp because burn will be enough to beat physical attackers. Make sure to run enough speed to outspeed whatever you deem necessary.

may I ask why sp def? will no evs in def be enough to bulk attacks?

bbgrg

Youngster Joey
Credits
Will-o-wisp lets you burn pokemon like landorus t that would switch in to charizard. Not only that, but many physical attackers are also pretty slow, like azumarill or mamoswine. Charizard could outspeed and burn these pokemon, which halves their attack stat.

EDIT: Spdef is also much more useful for zard so it can beat electric types, greninja, and other threatening pokes.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
Will-o-wisp lets you burn pokemon like landorus t that would switch in to charizard. Not only that, but many physical attackers are also pretty slow, like azumarill or mamoswine. Charizard could outspeed and burn these pokemon, which halves their attack stat.

EDIT: Spdef is also much more useful for zard so it can beat electric types, greninja, and other threatening pokes.
got a full build suggestion? moves , evs everything?

bbgrg

Youngster Joey
Credits
The speed is always ev'd so that the pokemon is barely able to outspeed a certain pokemon. In this instance, 112 speed is enough to outspeed max speed neutral nature gyarados, dragonite, and everything slower. You can change the speed evs depending on the pokemon you want to outspeed.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
The speed is always ev'd so that the pokemon is barely able to outspeed a certain pokemon. In this instance, 112 speed is enough to outspeed max speed neutral nature gyarados, dragonite, and everything slower. You can change the speed evs depending on the pokemon you want to outspeed.

would 252 hp/252 sp def be pushing it. Oh also. Is there any egg moves I need to worry about?

bbgrg

Youngster Joey
Credits
At least run 16 speed evs to outspeed Bisharp. If you don't have access to ORAS tutors, breed fire punch. Good luck :)

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Bit late to contribute to this, but yes, both Mega X and Y are powerful. Whilst Y is better suited on Sun teams (quite clear due to the ability), X is an amazing setup sweeper, getting access to DD to boost attack and speed, whilst having a good movepool to back up its amazing attack stat. For attacking, go 252 Attack and 252 Speed Jolly, but it's better off suited to defensive: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe.

As for movepool, attacking variants are generally Flare Blitz / Dragon Claw / DD / Earthquake
Defensive sets are generally Fire Punch / Dragon Claw / DD / Earthquake or Roost

testing