Just made a new team and want to hear advice from the community

ryantzb

Youngster Joey
Credits
Hi guys, I just made a new team and want to hear some advice from the community,I am personally still starting out, so do advice and teach me on the many things I am still unsure of. I have been playing showdown for quite some time now with an aggron team which were improved by you guys thus if possible, do guide me along for this new team I made. Tags : OU smogon rules, and also an added rule of my own. No pokemon can hold the same item.

This team is all about Mega Pinsir with his ability Aerilate, I have been using Mega Aggron for quite some time now and had met many mega evolutions but never have I once saw a Mega Pinsir or even Pinsir itself, after researching his ability, I find that he is not all bad except for the issue with Stealth Rock so I came up with this team.

-My Ace, Mega Pinsir, with max Atk and Spe stats to be able to sweep teams effectively
Sword Dance to boost up damage to sweep teams easier and Return as primary STAB move with Aerilate. Earthquake for Tyranitar and Heatran which I see very often and Quick Attack just because I feel there are no better alternatives. (Do advice me on this)

Pinsir @ Pinsirite (To mega evolve)
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

-Next would be my Support, Latias, with max Spe to ensure a Defog if necessary , 72HP to avoids the 2HKO from Life Orb Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, and also makes Latias hit a Life Orb number 184 SpA just to hit harder. (Referenced from Smogon)
Defog to get rid of entry hazards like Stealth Rock which will otherwise greatly affect this team. Draco Meteor as a primary STAB move and Thunderbolt for coverage as only Rotom Wash has another electric type move. Healing Wish is to be able to support the team when on low health because of Life Orb.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb (So that I can dish out as much damage as possible to do a Healing Wish when low)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Thunderbolt

-Next would be my Hero, Staraptor, with max Atk and Spe stats to be able to OTK(One Turn Kill) or significantly damage opponent before it goes down. Staraptor is a suicide attacker, a Hero, whos main purpose is to weakened or even take down Mega Pinsir's counter. Its ability Reckless makes Staraptor the perfect choice.
Brave Bird for primary STAB move and Double Edge as secondary. Final Gambit is to be able to deal as much damage to counters before Staraptor goes down and U-Turn to effectively switch out if needed.

Staraptor @ Choice Band (To further boost attack to take down as many opponent as possible)
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Final Gambit
- U-turn

-Next would be my Tank, Ferrothorn, with max HP and a spread out Def and SpD stats to be able to tank damages for the team. Its ability Iron Barbs also allow it to damage opponents back if they used a contact move.
Leech Seed to be able to stay healthy and wear down opponent. Thunder Wave for the likes of Charizard X to allow for easier revenge kill and Gyro Ball for primary STAB move. Spikes is just to complement stealth rock to allow for easier sweeping by Mega Pinsir.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers (To stay healthy)
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes

-Next would be my Starter as well as my Special Attacker, Heatran, with max SpA to hit as hard as possible and 240 Spe to outspeed Adamant Mega Heracross when having a Modest nature. (Referenced from Smogon)
Stealth Rock to wear down opponent for easier sweeping by Mega Pinsir and Fire Blast for primary STAB move. Flash Cannon for coverage and Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers.

Heatran @ Air Balloon (To dodge an Earthquake attempt on the first turn and set up Stealth Rock)
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Will-O-Wisp

-Next would be my Bulky Attacker, Rotom-Wash, with max HP, 44 points in Def, 60 in SpA, 148 in SpD and 4 in Spe. The given HP and Special Defense EVs allow Rotom-W to survive Mega Charizard Y's Solar Beam from full health, and Rotom-W can get back to a comfortable health range with its Sitrus Berry. The EVs in Defense allow Rotom-W to survive Mega Mawile's maximum Attack Play Rough. One point is invested in Speed because level 50 EV investment leaves Rotom-W with one free point. The rest of the EVs are invested in Special Attack to dish out harder hits with Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump. (Referenced from Smogon)
Thunderbolt as primary STAB move and Hydro Pump if I need more power or if the opponent is weak to water. Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attacks and Light Screen to give the team extra support.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry (To heal up when low)
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 60 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Light Screen

Last edited:

matt

Pokémon Champion
Credits
I suggest rotom tbolt gets swapped for volt switch and I prefer pain split over light screen ur choice thou

Latias I see no real point in having healing wish instead of just recover

Heatran should have flame thrower in my opinion for more pp and acc

Swap banded raptor to scarfed. Instead to make sure ur not outspeed

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
Hi guys, I just made a new team and want to hear some advice from the community,I am personally still starting out, so do advice and teach me on the many things I am still unsure of. I have been playing showdown for quite some time now with an aggron team which were improved by you guys thus if possible, do guide me along for this new team I made. Tags : OU smogon rules, and also an added rule of my own. No pokemon can hold the same item.

This team is all about Mega Pinsir with his ability Aerilate, I have been using Mega Aggron for quite some time now and had met many mega evolutions but never have I once saw a Mega Pinsir or even Pinsir itself, after researching his ability, I find that he is not all bad except for the issue with Stealth Rock so I came up with this team.

-My Ace, Mega Pinsir, with max Atk and Spe stats to be able to sweep teams effectively
Sword Dance to boost up damage to sweep teams easier and Return as primary STAB move with Aerilate. Earthquake for Tyranitar and Heatran which I see very often and Quick Attack just because I feel there are no better alternatives. (Do advice me on this)

Pinsir @ Pinsirite (To mega evolve)
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

-Next would be my Support, Latias, with max Spe to ensure a Defog if necessary , 72HP to avoids the 2HKO from Life Orb Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, and also makes Latias hit a Life Orb number(Do explain to me what this is about, I have no idea what a Life Orb number is haha). 184 SpA just to hit harder. (Referenced from Smogon)
Defog to get rid of entry hazards like Stealth Rock which will otherwise greatly affect this team. Draco Meteor as a primary STAB move and Thunderbolt for coverage as only Rotom Wash has another electric type move. Healing Wish is to be able to support the team when on low health because of Life Orb.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb (So that I can dish out as much damage as possible to do a Healing Wish when low)
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Thunderbolt

-Next would be my Hero, Staraptor, with max Atk and Spe stats to be able to OTK(One Turn Kill) or significantly damage opponent before it goes down. Staraptor is a suicide attacker, a Hero, whos main purpose is to weakened or even take down Mega Pinsir's counter. Its ability Reckless makes Staraptor the perfect choice.
Brave Bird for primary STAB move and Double Edge as secondary. Final Gambit is to be able to deal as much damage to counters before Staraptor goes down and U-Turn to effectively switch out if needed.

Staraptor @ Choice Band (To further boost attack to take down as many opponent as possible)
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Final Gambit
- U-turn

-Next would be my Tank, Ferrothorn, with max HP and a spread out Def and SpD stats to be able to tank damages for the team. Its ability Iron Barbs also allow it to damage opponents back if they used a contact move.
Leech Seed to be able to stay healthy and wear down opponent. Thunder Wave for the likes of Charizard X to allow for easier revenge kill and Gyro Ball for primary STAB move. Spikes is just to complement stealth rock to allow for easier sweeping by Mega Pinsir.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers (To stay healthy)
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes

-Next would be my Starter as well as my Special Attacker, Heatran, with max SpA to hit as hard as possible and 240 Spe to outspeed Adamant Mega Heracross when having a Modest nature. (Referenced from Smogon)
Stealth Rock to wear down opponent for easier sweeping by Mega Pinsir and Fire Blast for primary STAB move. Flash Cannon for coverage and Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers.

Heatran @ Air Balloon (To dodge an Earthquake attempt on the first turn and set up Stealth Rock)
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Will-O-Wisp

-Next would be my Bulky Attacker, Rotom-Wash, with max HP, 44 points in Def, 60 in SpA, 148 in SpD and 4 in Spe. The given HP and Special Defense EVs allow Rotom-W to survive Mega Charizard Y's Solar Beam from full health, and Rotom-W can get back to a comfortable health range with its Sitrus Berry. The EVs in Defense allow Rotom-W to survive Mega Mawile's maximum Attack Play Rough. One point is invested in Speed because level 50 EV investment leaves Rotom-W with one free point.(Do explain to me about this as I have no idea what it means haha) The rest of the EVs are invested in Special Attack to dish out harder hits with Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump. (Referenced from Smogon)
Thunderbolt as primary STAB move and Hydro Pump if I need more power or if the opponent is weak to water. Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attacks and Light Screen to give the team extra support.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry (To heal up when low)
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 60 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Light Screen
The team looks solid, but I'd like to make a couple of recommendations. Your rotom is trying to do WAY too much and it and Heatran can be a much better core if the EVs are placed in a better way. Currently, you are running a set focused on doubles Pokemon and no hazards (hence the EVs for Charizard Y and 5 turn light screen as well as the sitrus berry and the 60 SpA EVs as well). Try running volt switch over thunderbolt and either pain split for when you get low or switch your item and run chesto berry and rest.

The Heatran is solid, but you may want to try a specially defensive variant running leftovers as the item since most of your team already takes earthquakes.

On your ferrothorn, try not to run both thunder wave and gyro ball. Either run thunder wave with power whip, or gyro ball and protect (to scout moves like HP fire, flamethrower, etc and to gain more health from leech seed). The reasoning behind this is that thunder wave powers down gyro ball and the thunder wave itself doesn't really help Ferrothorn in any other ways. I'd also run rocky helmet if you go for the protect variant since you'll be getting a lot of leech seed health in this way and can then give the leftovers to Heatran. If you want to keep lefties, then tell me and we can come up with an interesting item for tran.

I like your staraptor, but there maybe better skarm bait Pokemon to consider as well.

Latias works well with this team, so no complaints.

Pinsir is well, Pinsir.

All in all, there are some adjustments to be made, but not a bad start. I have a few other things I'd like to say soon, so I'll be back a bit later.

ryantzb

Youngster Joey
Credits
I suggest rotom tbolt gets swapped for volt switch and I prefer pain split over light screen ur choice thou

Latias I see no real point in having healing wish instead of just recover

Heatran should have flame thrower in my opinion for more pp and acc

Swap banded raptor to scarfed. Instead to make sure ur not outspeed

Hmm, I see your point, I think I will reoptimize my Rotom-Wash and replace Thunderbolt with Volt Switch and Light Screen with Rest. However I have tested around and feel that Choice Band on Staraptor is way more useful, That extra bit of speed I find isnt worth the damage as I feel Staraptor is pretty fast on its own and as long as I bring him in at the right time, it should be fine. Haha

Last edited:

ryantzb

Youngster Joey
Credits
The team looks solid, but I'd like to make a couple of recommendations. Your rotom is trying to do WAY too much and it and Heatran can be a much better core if the EVs are placed in a better way. Currently, you are running a set focused on doubles Pokemon and no hazards (hence the EVs for Charizard Y and 5 turn light screen as well as the sitrus berry and the 60 SpA EVs as well). Try running volt switch over thunderbolt and either pain split for when you get low or switch your item and run chesto berry and rest.

The Heatran is solid, but you may want to try a specially defensive variant running leftovers as the item since most of your team already takes earthquakes.

On your ferrothorn, try not to run both thunder wave and gyro ball. Either run thunder wave with power whip, or gyro ball and protect (to scout moves like HP fire, flamethrower, etc and to gain more health from leech seed). The reasoning behind this is that thunder wave powers down gyro ball and the thunder wave itself doesn't really help Ferrothorn in any other ways. I'd also run rocky helmet if you go for the protect variant since you'll be getting a lot of leech seed health in this way and can then give the leftovers to Heatran. If you want to keep lefties, then tell me and we can come up with an interesting item for tran.

I like your staraptor, but there maybe better skarm bait Pokemon to consider as well.

Latias works well with this team, so no complaints.

Pinsir is well, Pinsir.

All in all, there are some adjustments to be made, but not a bad start. I have a few other things I'd like to say soon, so I'll be back a bit later.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I made many errors here and there. Thanks for pointing it out haha, firstly, I think I will reoptimize my Rotom-Wash and give it a Chesto Berry with Rest, Will-O-Wisp, Volt Switch and Hydro Pump. I will then change up the EVs to bulk it up.
For my Heatran, I will give it a leftovers like what you suggest and bulk it up with 252 points in HP, 252 in SpD and 4 to SpA. Instead of fire blast or flamethrower though, I think I will run a Lava Plume set focusing on setting up Stealth Rock and checking certain threats. Maybe moves like, Lava Plume, Toxic, Stealth Rock and Roar.
For my Ferrothorn, I will switch up the moveset and teach it Gyro Ball, Power Whip, Leech Seed and Protect along with giving it a Rocky Helmet just like you suggested.

Last edited:

TheDarkSpike

Youngster Joey
Credits
Just a quick note, somewhere on the gamefaq site, there is an enormously grown thread called Recover vs Healing Wish. you might want to check that one out, there is a good list of pro's and con's there. I'll look if i can find a link

ryantzb

Youngster Joey
Credits
Just a quick note, somewhere on the gamefaq site, there is an enormously grown thread called Recover vs Healing Wish. you might want to check that one out, there is a good list of pro's and con's there. I'll look if i can find a link
That will be really helpful, meanwhile I will try and see if I can find the link too :)

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
Hmm, I see your point, I think I will reoptimize my Rotom-Wash and replace Thunderbolt with Volt Switch and Light Screen with Rest. However I have tested around and feel that Choice Band on Staraptor is way more useful, That extra bit of speed I find isnt worth the damage as I feel Staraptor is pretty fast on its own and as long as I bring him in at the right time, it should be fine. Haha
I agree with the band. You need Staraptor to be a wall breaker in this instance. I actually also really like healing wish since your team is very much momentum based.

testing