new to competitive

spratticus93

Youngster Joey
Credits
I was wondering if I could get some advice on my team this my first team to build so take it easy lol and it's for doubles.

Hydreigon
Life orb
Draco meteor
Flamethrower
Dark pulse
Protect

MetagRoss
Mega stone
Meteor mash
Ice punch
Zen headbutt
Protect

Rotom
Leftovers
Will o wisp
Thunderbolt
Hydro pump
Protect

Chandelure
Focus sash
Shadow ball
Energy ball
Heat wave
Protect

Hitmonlee
Knock off
High jump kick
Stone edge
Protect

Mamoswine
Icicle shard
Earthquake
Superpower
Protect

Last 2 don't have items yet I'm not sure for them. Any help would be much appreciated.

EliteFourCronos

Pokémon Champion
Credits
I was wondering if I could get some advice on my team this my first team to build so take it easy lol and it's for doubles.

Hydreigon
Life orb
Draco meteor
Flamethrower
Dark pulse
Protect

MetagRoss
Mega stone
Meteor mash
Ice punch
Zen headbutt
Protect

Rotom
Leftovers
Will o wisp
Thunderbolt
Hydro pump
Protect

Chandelure
Focus sash
Shadow ball
Energy ball
Heat wave
Protect

Hitmonlee
Knock off
High jump kick
Stone edge
Protect

Mamoswine
Icicle shard
Earthquake
Superpower
Protect

Last 2 don't have items yet I'm not sure for them. Any help would be much appreciated.

This is an impressive line-up for your first team build, so you've got a good start! You should probably plan out the nature and EV's you're using for each Pokemon though. For example, that Hydreigon could definitely benefit from a spread of 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed with a Timid nature. If you need any advice on that, I'd be happy to help.

As for move and item structure, Hydreigon could have its Life Orb replaced with a Choice Scarf and Protect replaced with Earth Power. Hydreigon is known for being one of the best users of the Choice Scarf in the Double Battles scene, but you should prepare to make predictions about your opponent's moves and make sure you have something to switch out into at all times.

That Metagross set is actually the exact set I've been running in Doubles currently and I'm glad to see it in your arsenal! No further comments on that :)

That Rotom set is also the standard Rotom set that I've been using. It does wonders in the current format and is an all around solid Pokemon. My only qualm is that if you're building this team in game, the EV spread for a standard Rotom is VERY awkward, but is hand-crafted by competitive players to stack up against the likes of Mega Salamence and Mega Mawile. The spread is Calm nature with 252 HP/116 Defense/4 Special Attack/132 Special Defense/4 Speed.

Chandelure is a bit of a mixed bag in my book. It's one of my favorite Pokemon from both a design and competitive standpoint, but I've never been fully confident using it in Doubles. The set seems fine to me, though I would probably suggest throwing Substitute on it over Energy Ball. I wouldn't concern myself with keeping a lot of coverage moves on Chandy, just make sure that the partner you send him out with complements him. You could also use Life Orb just for damage output, but I understand why the Sash is appealing.

Hitmonlee is the one thing here that threw me off. It's a cool Pokemon, but in my experience has been too frail for Double battling, just because most attacks can kill it or bring it into range to be taken out by moves like Heat Wave and Rock Slide. If I could make a suggestion, perhaps replace the Lee with a Hitmontop, who is known for being an excellent Double battling Pokemon simply because of the ability Intimidate. I also recommend switching the moveset around a bit, since Hitmontop is much more of a support Pokemon than its more offensive Single-battling cousin. My recommended set is Fake Out (an amazing Double battles move), Close Combat, Knock Off, and Wide Guard (used for blocking those moves such as Heat Wave and Hyper Voice). For an item, Sitrus Berry seems to be a good contender!

Lastly is a Pokemon that I actually just started playing around with. Mamoswine is a very strong option in Doubles due to its amazing control over the board with multi-hitting and priority moves (ergo Ice Shard and Earthquake which you already have listed, so points for picking some damn good moves!) My suggestion though would be to replace Superpower with Icicle Crash. As I said with Chandelure, as long as you pair it up well, you won't need to use more coverage options on Mamo. Just being able to have more damage options is a very good idea. For item, I'm always a proponent of Focus Sash Mamoswine, but if it's on Chandelure, we'll have to come up with something better. Life Orb is a good pick just to maximize your damage if Chandelure is Sashed, but if you choose to put the Orb on Chandelure, Focus Sash is always an incredible item for Mamoswine.

Sorry for this post being so wordy, it's the only way I can properly articulate my thoughts. Either way, hope this comprehensive guide to your team helps you out, and good luck battling! :)

spratticus93

Youngster Joey
Credits
Thanks I love how in depth you are the evs and nature's you suggested is what I'm running I a just went on smog on and picked all that out while I was building the team and honestly I wasn't sure about hitmonlee and chandelure they are very very frail.

The Fifth Whisper

Youngster Joey
Credits
If you're interested in playing VGC'15 rather than Smogon Doubles, there's a few things that need some mixing up.

-LO Hydra is perfectly fine. Your team isn't that spooked by Heatran, due to Mamoswine and Hitmonlee (yeah i'd change that to 'top).

-Most people run Iron Head over Meteor Mash on Metagross-- the chip damage lost isn't that much, while the miss chance can lose you games.

-Your team is incredibly weak to hard Charizard-Y teams, though that's only apparent to me because I seem to be the only person who runs them.

-Chandelure is a subpar pokémon now that we've moved from VGC'14 to VGC'15. If you really want the offensive fire potential it provides, you could replace it with Heatran, who has better bulk and defensive typing, or if it's there for the Ghost-type offense, you could replace it with something like Aegislash, who also has better bulk and comparable offense. If you swap it to Aegislash, I would recommend changing Hitmonlee to Infernape, to make up for the lack of fire-type offense.

-Life Orb is an excellent choice for Mamoswine, allowing it to deal as much damage as possible without being awkwardly choice-locked. It allows it to make use for Icicle Crash and Ice Shard to snipe down every Dragon-type in the game while taking at most one hit back, and Ice Shard can even snipe out bulkless Garchomp and scarfed Landorus-Therian if played properly.

-Speaking of Landy-T, your team is incredibly weak to it, specifically the scarfed variant. Though Mamoswine and Rotom-W together can attempt to take it down, it exerts so much pressure against Chandelure, Hydreigon, and Metagross, while Intimidating Hitmonlee to makes its damage negligible. This can be played around with sufficient practice and predictions, but it's something to be wary of.

-Your team is very weak to Clefable's redirection tactics alongside Heatran, with Mamoswine's Earthquake being the only means of dealing with it. Even if Metagross takes down Clefable with Steel STAB, Heatran gets up a free Substitute or can Heat Wave back to take down Metagross. Watch out for this combo.

-Play a lot of games and figure out how people think. A friend of mine cracked a joke that a standard Pokémon battle is a pair of psychologists sitting down next to each other, and whoever's worse at their job loses. His excuse for getting a degree on psychology, but oh well. At any rate, knowing what your opponent will do will win games, and the only way to learn is to play the ladder.

-Good luck and have fun.

testing