• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Building a Team. (need help)

Skullster

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Hey guys, I finally want to start trying out battling instead of the endless boring PVE I've been doing for waaaay too long...
I'm very noob to teambuilding and having thoughts behind all the strategy going on regarding how to put a team together. I was hoping you guys would be able to help me out here.

I currently have 5 Pokemon that I thought would fit in a team.
Not naming EV spreads yet since I first would like to know if the Pokemon are even good together.

Mega:

Scizor
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
Item: Scizorite
Moves:
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bug Bite

Walls:

Rotom-W
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
Item: Chesto Berry
Moves:
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Milotic
Ability: Competitive
Item: Leftovers
Moves:
- Scald
- Ice Beam/Dragon Pulse
- Toxic
- Recover

Sweepers:

Heatran
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Calm/Modest
Item: Life Orb/ Choice Scarf
Moves:
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- ?
- ?

"Missing a Sp Att Sweeper here."
Perhaps a Contrary Serperior would be an option

It would be nice knowing what you guys think is good and what I should really change out.

Last edited:

Lee-chan

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Well, I can see you have some roles given out...Your team looks OK but not effective. What I like to do when I making a team is find a core...Im not sure if you know what that means so Im gonna tell ya... first you get wall or a bulky Pokemon you like (ex) Slowbro and use a Pokemon like Venusaur to form a core. Both cover the others weakness. Then you can build your team around those 2 or 3 you choose as your core and assign roles from there.

PS. And hey if you don't like an defense core try the offensive (ex) Gyarados + Mega T-tar

shiiro

Pokémon Trainer
Credits

It would be nice knowing what you guys think is good and what I should really change out.

contrary serperior with its spammable Leaf Storm is good if you know how to use it wise, however never really liked that pokemon.
I would go for Calm mind gardevoir with hyper voice,focus blast, psyhic/psyshock or Hydreigon with flame thrower,draco meteor, u-turn, dragon pulse (?)

Just few special attackers that I could name Espeon/Slyveon/Heatran/gengar/Lucario

Skullster

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Well, I can see you have some roles given out...Your team looks OK but not effective. What I like to do when I making a team is find a core...Im not sure if you know what that means so Im gonna tell ya... first you get wall or a bulky Pokemon you like (ex) Slowbro and use a Pokemon like Venusaur to form a core. Both cover the others weakness. Then you can build your team around those 2 or 3 you choose as your core and assign roles from there.

PS. And hey if you don't like an defense core try the offensive (ex) Gyarados + Mega T-tar
Thanks for the comments. I indeed didnt make this team specially build around 2 Pokemon. I started with Mega Scizor and tried to look a bit at what he could use to support him.
The other Pokemon I NEED in my team is Milotic, simply because it is the Pokemon I feel closest to since it has helped me soooo much in the past.

I geuss that would be my core?

Flareon is going to be replaced with maybe my Heatran. Also has Flash Fire and is more usefull. (can actually take a hit...) He can also set up pretty well and do quite some damage.

Im also thinking about changing out Dusclops for something else, Im not sure yet what exactly.
Most likely something that can pack a punch since I put another Bulky Pokemon on the team instead of Flareon (Heatran).

Skullster

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
contrary serperior with its spammable Leaf Storm is good if you know how to use it wise, however never really liked that pokemon.
I would go for Calm mind gardevoir with hyper voice,focus blast, psyhic/psyshock or Hydreigon with flame thrower,draco meteor, u-turn, dragon pulse (?)

Just few special attackers that I could name Espeon/Slyveon/Heatran/gengar/Lucario
Thanks for your reply!

I put Heatran on my team instead of Flareon for now, see what thats like. Perhaps I could try out that Hydreigon and see how that1 works.

matt

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Hey guys, I finally want to start trying out battling instead of the endless boring PVE I've been doing for waaaay too long...
I'm very noob to teambuilding and having thoughts behind all the strategy going on regarding how to put a team together. I was hoping you guys would be able to help me out here.

I currently have 5 Pokemon that I thought would fit in a team.
Not naming EV spreads yet since I first would like to know if the Pokemon are even good together.

Mega:

Scizor
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
Item: Scizorite
Moves:
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bug Bite

Walls:

Rotom-W
Ability: Levitate
Item: Chesto Berry
Moves:
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Milotic
Ability: Competitive
Item: Leftovers
Moves:
- Scald
- Ice Beam/Dragon Pulse
- Toxic
- Recover

Sweepers:

Heatran
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Calm/Modest
Item: Life Orb/ Choice Scarf
Moves:
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- ?
- ?

if your gonna keep rotom-w AND milotic and least put a thunderous In there with volt absorb for a safty swap and its a special attacker soo two bird with one stone. maybe add a an exadrill mold breaker scarfed for damage since u alrdy have walls for a safe swap just in case or even a scarfed garchomp could work

Skullster

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
if your gonna keep rotom-w AND milotic and least put a thunderous In there with volt absorb for a safty swap and its a special attacker soo two bird with one stone. maybe add a an exadrill mold breaker scarfed for damage since u alrdy have walls for a safe swap just in case or even a scarfed garchomp could work
Ok thanks, I will try both Excadril and Garchomp out.
I need to get my hands on a Thundurus then >.<. Ah well, shouldnt be tooo much of an issue

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
well judging by my pics I always suggest a volcarona sweeper. I can get you a build if you're interested. Also I would get a wall that can heal hp a bit better. Heatran or rotom is fine but consider adding a mandibuzz or something instead as a def wall for defog and taking hits with rocky helmet/using roost.

Zack83

Youngster Joey
Credits
Hi my name is Zack and I really think that you should have a Jolteon.If you want nothing to outspeed it I would go for the timid but if you want more damage I would go for modest.Timid Jolteon is very fast, I believe it outspeeds greninja however even at modest it outspeeds most threats such as Garchomp and more.
I run:
Timid and life orb
Move set:
Hp Ice
Voltswitch
Thunder or thunderbolt
shadowball

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
Hi my name is Zack and I really think that you should have a Jolteon.If you want nothing to outspeed it I would go for the timid but if you want more damage I would go for modest.Timid Jolteon is very fast, I believe it outspeeds greninja however even at modest it outspeeds most threats such as Garchomp and more.
I run:
Timid and life orb
Move set:
Hp Ice
Voltswitch
Thunder or thunderbolt
shadowball

thunderous with scarf just far outclasses it :/

Zack83

Youngster Joey
Credits
ericashes Pokémon Champion said,
I really think that scarfing an already fast pokemon is a waste of an item especially if you want to try it at the battlespot.You could scarf a slow but extreemly powerful pokemon instead of making a pokemon too fast. This stratagy might backfire on you if your opponent has priority.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
ericashes Pokémon Champion said,
I really think that scarfing an already fast pokemon is a waste of an item especially if you want to try it at the battlespot.You could scarf a slow but extreemly powerful pokemon instead of making a pokemon too fast. This stratagy might backfire on you if your opponent has priority.

thunderous-t has 101 speed. Scarf is its most popular build. And it Gets thunderbolt, dark pulse, sludge wave, psychic, focus blast, exc. Its moveset makes it way better than jolteon

Zack83

Youngster Joey
Credits
ericashes Pokémon Champion said,thunderous-t has 101 speed. Scarf is its most popular build. And it Gets thunderbolt, dark pulse, sludge wave, psychic, focus blast, exc. Its moveset makes it way better than jolteon
Most people that I have battled have thunderous-i which I beleive is faster than thunderous-t.I Know you play ou but Jolteon is in uu but thunderous is ou though.Using a jolteon means you can put it into 3 different tiers including ubers however you can only put thunderous into 2

testing