• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Competitive Team Help

Mawile6222

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Alright, I am trying to teach my little brother how to use a competitive team. Its disheartening when you see his face when he cant win with his favorite pokemon. These are his pokemon
Groudon
Flygon
Arcanine
Lucario
Jirachi
Greninja

Any tips on how I might help his team be effective?

nuclear tech 3

Youngster Joey
Credits
Groudon: should usually be the lead, and have moves like stealth rock, ad well as being able to dish damage.
Flygon: great U-turn user, and can clean up lategame with outrage or earthquake.
Arcanine: has great coverage, and can deal out massive damage with wild charge, flare blitz, extreame speed: as priority, and close combat
Lucario: have bullet punch to deal with the fairy threat, probably swords dance and some power physical moves, and extreme speed for priority. Make sure you have an opportunity to set up when you use swords dance, or you have a dead
Jirachi: great substitute calm mind combo, and can also have flash cannon/thunderbolt to deal special attacks.
Greninja: I never let this guy leave my team myself and can go on complete rampages with life orb and a variety of moves. (I like to use U-turn with this one as well) also have some speed investment as his defence is crap, and if he goes second then you have a dead frog.
Note: you should always have a rapid spinner or defog user, so keep that in mind!
Over all the team can be decent when used correctly, and I claim to be no expert, so you don't have to be obligated to listen to me. Good luck

EliteFourCronos

Pokémon Champion
Credits
I think your brother could make a nice mixed tier team out of this! Start it off with Rock Polish Groudon!
Groudon @ Lum Berry
4 HP 252 Attack 252 Speed | Adamant nature
Rock Polish
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Swords Dance/Fire Punch
It's a good set for a starting competitive player just because the concept is basic. Set up a Rock Polish and survive a hit using Groudon's natural bulk, then swing in for as much damage as you can.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
4 HP 252 Attack 252 Speed | Adamant nature
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Punch
U-Turn
Straightforward as well, just hit things as much as you can and use U-turn for damage and scouting purposes.

Arcanine @ Leftovers (Ability: Intimidate)
252 HP 4 Defense 252 Special Defense | Calm nature
Flamethrower
Extremespeed
Will-o-wisp
Morning Sun
Arcanine seemed like the best defensive candidate for this team since the straightforward Groudon set should be more fun than a standard lead set. This set may take some explanation for a new competitive player, but essentially, just burn physical attackers and whittle them down, keep yourself healthy with Morning Sun and Leftovers, then Flamethrower and Extremespeed for easy damage.

Lucario @ Lucarionite (Ability: Steadfast)
4 HP 252 Attack 252 Speed | Jolly or Adamant nature
Close Combat
Crunch
Extremespeed
Bullet Punch
Since I'm assuming your brother won't be jumping into Smogon tiers right away, I suggest getting some practice with a Mega Lucario. The plan is simple, beat the hell out of anything he's facing with Close Combat, anything CC can't hit will more than likely not appreciate Crunch and Adaptability Bullet Punch.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
4 HP 252 Attack 252 Speed | Jolly nature
Iron Head
Fire Punch
Thunder Wave
Stealth Rock
This is my friend's Jirachi set, and it's super fun. Use paralysis and Iron Head in tandem with one another and I believe your opponent has around a 70% chance to be unable to attack due to full paralysis and flinching. Stealth Rock is just a good move in general to set up and Fire Punch is for coverage and 20% burn chance because Serene Grace is 2pro4me.

Greninja @ Life Orb
4 Attack 252 Special Attack 252 Speed | Naive nature
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse/Grass Knot
U-Turn
Standard Greninja is super standard. Strategy is to just beat your opponent down until your Life Orb kills you. Dark Pulse is a nice move to keep your Psychic immunity, but Grass Knot gives you nearly perfect neutral coverage on all other Pokemon. This thing takes names and doesn't afraid of anything.

Hope this helps and wish your brother happy battling! :D

-Cronos

testing