Pokemon You Didn't Expect To Like Competitively?

leanbean132006

Youngster Joey
Credits
Hey guys, since I'm new I thought I'd post a thread here to get myself a bit active and maybe get some discussion going. If this is the wrong place to post let me know and I'll try to do better next time, haha. I enjoy talking competitive Pokemon quite a bit and don't have many friends who enjoy it nearly as much as me so what a good place to post at.

This has always been an interesting topic for me. What, when you first saw it or first joined competitive play, is a Pokemon that you thought for sure that you wouldn't like, but actually really enjoy playing with it?

For me, it would definitely be Mega Lopunny. When I first saw it, I thought for sure it would be one of the weaker new megas introduced, since regular Lopunny isn't great other than for some trolly Klutz sets (which aren't very good either). I figured Mega Lopunny would suffer for that, but I was very wrong. I've run both sets of Fake Out/Return/High Jump Kick/Ice Punch and Substitute/Encore/Drain Punch/Return and have thoroughly enjoyed using both, and it's my main offensive presence on my current main team.

So how about you guys?

anthony o.

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
i totally agree! Lopunny seemed like those pokemon they just made to fill up space in the dex, but it was super useful in battles.
I also think eelektross would just be another electric pokemon, but after i learned about its ability, i used it in my oras team!

DannySteeden

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Heliolisk, thought he'd be just a cute little electric dinosaur but on my rain team he's such an underrated threat and I love that I can use my favourite Pokemon competitively :D

Chewiecashew

Youngster Joey
Credits
For me it was gastrodon and quagsire. They seemed like the in-game- walking though-marshes-in-dppt kind of Pokemon, but once their dream world abilities storm drain and unaware were released in gen 5 they became pretty viable as bulky waters who just scalded, recovered, and ignored water attacks/stat boosts.

Mewtwo

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Mine was Azumarill because I did not look at he ability and now Azumarill is 1 of my favorite Pokemon and is in my OU Team

testing